Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multi-tasking Question

Options
  • 06-04-2003 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭

Quickie question, folks....

My PC is having trouble with multitasking properly. If I'm playing a song in Winamp and do anything basic like opening a window or app, then the song stutters.

If I'm ripping a CD in audiograbber, and alt-tab to something else, I get loads of speed errors in Audiograbber.

Is there some weird process priority setting in XP thats got screwed up somewhere? I never had this trouble with my last PC (or my PC in work).

TIA,
    Dave.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

what are the specs on teh machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

P4 2.5 GHz, 512 RAM. Should be more than enough to handle basic multitasking.

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

The specs there are definetly more than capable of handling multitasking, the problem your having id say is caused by either a dodgy program or dodgy drivers.
    Do you see any patterns to it, you mentioned winamp and audi grabber. Does it only happen with Sound related apps ??
    try doing ctrl-alt-delete and go to processes and try closing any apps that have your login name as the user rather than system.
    See does that make a difference.
    need more info to be sure though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

a friend had the same problem on a win98 machine, it only surfaced after he installed a new graphics card...
    making sure you have the newest/right drivers installed should sort it out

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

I guess WinXP has set your cdrom drives to PIO mode.
    Controlpanal/System/hardware/devicemanager/IDE ATA/ATAPI.........open the seconardy channal and make sure the transfer mode is set to DMA.

If no joy, get lastest chipset drivers.#

Edge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

what size is your page file ?
    should be approx 1.5 time pc memory

how much free disk space have u ?

eamonn

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Another thing to try is to right click my computer and select properties then select the performance button (last tab?).

The second tab on that screen you can set what gets more processing time, etc.

but TBH XP Home is a POS. I am waiting for the moment but I plan to be removing it on my machine and putting on W2K Professional (which is a lot more stable IMHO).

Advertisement