Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question re The Pill

• 06-04-2003 11:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭

My girlfriend went on the pill about a month ago and i'm just wondering is it safe to disregard condoms alltogether, last night i ran out and wasn't too sure about not using one despite the fact that she's on the pill. Oh and there's no risk of any STD or anything like that.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Ask her pharmacist or her doctor. There are many different types of Pill and they are all different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

It takes three months to kick in, is what I've heard. Ask a doctor or family planning place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 devine

it works an hour after you take it. but if you miss the pill you have to take it straight away and the pill fot that day but your not safe for 7 days so you have to be careful. oh and i think its best that you use the condom aswell because sometimes the pill doesnt work when your sick or on tablets. Also the condom gives you extra protection so you can do more freaky **** than you ever done before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭DriftingRain

Inside every pack of pills is a package insert. It tells the chances and all the statistics for pregnancies. It would be benificial to read it before having sex with out condoms.
    :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

yes you can start having unprotected sex one day after she takes the pill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Consult your doctor - do not take the words from an internet bulletin board.

gotodoctor.jpg

I'll leave this open but I really wouldn't advise you to take the word from ANYONE other than your/her doctor that prescribed the specific drug.

Go here for more info (as found on the charter/links page of PI) http://www.ifpa.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

It probably depends on the particular brand. Advice from the doctor who prescribed the particular brand would be best or maybe theres a usage guidline on the box or leaflet.

Afaik, after a month the only risk is the minor one that which exists with pill in the first place. Chance of pill failure is increased by large volumes of alcohol (or drugs).

But again, I'd say consult the doc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Originally posted by Gordon
    Consult your doctor - do not take the words from an internet bulletin board.

Im Insulted ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Brands vary.

The only one I know anything about is (according to doc) the best and most recent version: Microlite.

If she's on that, you're safe from the moment she started on it (unless she takes it irregularly or vomits).

However, it is only 99% effective, but then, nothing is 100%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Generally the best advice is to consult a family planning service
    (In cases like this you really don't need to go to a GP).

If either of you have had other sexual partners, have an STI check first. It doesn't matter how confident you are about it, its not worth the risk. And that is a medical opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

use both.
    you can never be too safe!
    and have loadsa fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Originally posted by devine
    it works an hour after you take it.

Thats BULLLLLSSS****.

It does depend on the pill but most take a couple of weeks at least to kick in.

<< Fio >>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

lies, damned lies and statistics.

safest option always going to be combination of the two, but even thats not fool proof, as she's on the pill then the occasional -condom will PROB be ok but who's to say, I reckon i'll keep using the two till ur in a situ where a kid is ok(except if abortion option is in play)

That's prob enough to put you off sex completely ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Zukustious

It is best to use both but there is a third method which, in my opinion, is the best method of contraception. FIRE!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

You're not even meant to have sex for at least six months after she starts taking the pill, never mind have sex without a condom* :ninja:
    * This opinion may not be wholly based on fact...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Ms Taken

My doctor told me it only takes a month to kick in

Advertisement