Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Walking: useful exercise?

• 07-04-2003 1:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

I've been wondering.

About the only exercise I ever get is walking. In a good week I'll maybe do an hour three times a week. Is it any good for me? Ideally I'd like to control my weight (I know I'm a few pounds over.)

My diet is good, well at least 95% of the time, there's the odd lapse.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Yes.

Consistent regular activity is very beneficial.

Walking will burn calories, and regular activity of any sort is vastly superior to complete inactivity.

If your current walking is just on the way to work etc., perhaps try adding one or maybe two evening walks of a similar duration.

Ideally I would always go for more, such as slightly more intense training, but the bottom line is a lot of people do not have the drive to maintain it in the medium term, often due to a lack of familiarity with training.

Something like a structure walking routine will also benefit you, if you even get into the idea of it as a 'training session' - get changed, get cd player and head out - little habits like this will stand to you if and when you decide to adopt a more serious training routine.

JAK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Thanks Jak.

Unfortunately, the trip to work is a 22 mile round trip, so thats not an option. I do have a nice 4 mile (approx) stretch worked out, and its near the sea so I get plenty of "bracing" fresh air as well...

It's also become a bit of a routine, as you've suggested, with the music and all, so maybe I might be able to go that one step further soon.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

I started walking seriously around June last year. I am into the hill walking variety and also mountain (over 2,000Ft) variety. It's taken a while, but I am now into power walking which is getting less and less sore on my legs which is turning out great. My overrall fitness level has gone way up. Theres loads of great mountain paths around Sth Dublin that will give you a fair degree of a workout depending on how much pace you hit them at.

Totally dumb off topic question- is it possible that I can be really fit and smoke? My heart rate is quite low for a smoker (60Bpm) my weight is right for my height (5' 11'' & 10.5 St) I walk seriously every Sunday and I work with weights 4 nights a week. Is it such a dumb suggestion that my cardio vascular system could be in good condition given the fact that I smoke?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Smoking won't help your fitness or lung capacity.

That said, I know some fairly heavy smokers who train religiously in cardio and in weights. Also I know some foolish non smokers who consider themselves fit and healthy because they do not smoke (tho they do nothing at all as regards sport or training).

It is quite possible to be exceptionally fit and smoke, but as Dave said, you still run the risk of lung cancer etc.

Also there are terms to be considered. In the short term, if an exceptionally fit person starts smoking, they will still be exceptionally fit. In the medium term their performance will likely degrade simply due to the inability of the lungs to process as much oxygen given the tar etc etc.

In the long run a smoker won't really stand a chance of maintaining an upward sloping training curve.

But to answer your question, yes. Smokers can be fit. I think it was Bjorn Borg or one of that era tennis players who smoked about 30-40 a day.

JAK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Thanks for that. I had kinda been thinking I should quit anyway. It's nearly summer after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

i remember when i was with an athletic club there were always one or two who had a fag after a long run ,me included although i don't smoke now,but they're bad news anyway

Advertisement