Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norris for president?

Options
  • 07-04-2003 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

Well, McAleese is running for the post, and the Business Post today announced that so was Micheal D. Higgins. I've heard rumours that Norris is considering it - so who would get your vote? And why?

Who would you vote for President of Ireland? 22 votes

Mary McAleese
    0% 0 votes
    Michael D. Higgins
    13% 3 votes
    David Norris
    27% 6 votes
    None of the Above
    59% 13 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

David Norris definitly seems the best out those 3. I live in dread of that muppet higgins representing us abroad, whereas Norris wont let us down I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

Dave horris as long as he stays home alot and actually vetos some of FF legislation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Higgins is a well-meaning idiot. The only consolation is that as president; he will be legally obliged to keep quiet. Given the above selection, I’d probably vote for Norris.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Higgins is a well-meaning idiot
    I actually think that Michael D. Higgins is perhaps one of the most articulate TD's in the Dail. I was also impressed by his performance in last weeks Questions and Answers, the man is certainly no idiot, and it is rare that any politician can impress me with articulate speeches or factual knowledge.

I would dismiss Mary McAleese as a candidate for my vote, given what I perceive as her smug sense of superiority. Maybe that's just me, but I dislike the woman, and she has given me little reason to rescind that opinon, as of yet. That just leaves David Norris and Michael D, which is actually quite a tough choice. At this present moment of time, I would favour Mr Higgins over Senator Norris, but I would need to find out a little more about the two candidates, minus the media spin, before I determine which should receive my vote.

BTW, I actually don't think it really matters, the office of President seems to be little more than a figurehead, with no official power of any relevance. The fact that a president must maintain an impartiality about domestic politics highlights this point for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Didn't realise that it was that time again? When is the election? 2004?

Eitherway, I'd like to see Mary hold on to the job, if she's running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I dunno about powerless swiss.
    From the government website:
    The President has certain discretionary powers. First, the President may, after consultation with the Council of State, an advisory body to the President, refer any Bill to the Supreme Court for a decision as to whether it contains anything repugnant to the Constitution.

Secondly, if a majority of the Seanad and not less than one-third of the Dáil petition the President to decline to sign a Bill on the grounds that it contains a proposal of such national importance that the will of the people thereon ought to be ascertained, the President may accede to the request after consultation with the Council of State. In these circumstances the President may sign the Bill only when the proposal has been approved by the people in a referendum or by a new Dáil after a dissolution and a General Election.

The President has one power which may be exercised at his or her absolute discretion. This allows the President to refuse to dissolve the Dáil on the advice of a Taoiseach who has ceased to retain the support of a majority in the Dáil.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Mary McAleese most definately for a second term.

She represented this country very well.

After 9/11 - her comments were completely appropriate.

She is head & shoulders above other world leaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I'd vote for Norris over any of the above. The chap is one of the most knowledgable, articulate senators we've ever had IMHO. Michael D is no daw but he does sometimes come across as a Jerry Lewis type. Either would be far better than McAleese. The woman knows her constitutional and public law and is aware of her duties, whoopee. I know my constitutional and public law and I'm well aware of the Presidential duties. There's been a difference between the Robinson and McAleese Presidencies and I haven't liked the change (even if it's only a PR thing). And before someone accuses me of disliking McAleese because I'm some kind of pinko commie, well, I'm not so stick your fingers in your ears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Originally posted by Cork
    Mary McAleese most definately for a second term.

She represented this country very well.

After 9/11 - her comments were completely appropriate.

The woman is a muppet, honestly, not a patch on Mary Robinson.

I would actually prefare to see Michael D, still in the Dial, where he could possibly be inserted into a Ministerial role if and when a new Labour-FG-(other) axis is articulated in government.

To be honest, I'd be very happy with either David Norris or Michael D as President, the only problem being that whichever politician does become President will be 'lost' for all intents and purposes to the Oireachtas permenantly.

Originally posted by Typedef
    The woman is a muppet, honestly, not a patch on Mary Robinson.

She is no muppet. Her work does not get the same exposure on TV as Mary Robinson - but She is doing some great work. I met the lady only once and she really impressed me.
    And according to the poll in yesterday's Indo- She'd have no trouble winning a second term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

David Norris definitly seems the best out those 3. I live in dread of that muppet higgins representing us abroad, whereas Norris wont let us down I think.
    His Evening Herald columns shows he’s not to keen on the Israelis....sure you wouldn’t change your mind?

Why would he be keen on the Israelis given Sharon's record in recent years?
    Hell, even in recent days, with Corrie and Avery and Sharon's bitching at Blair because Blair insists that the "middle east roadmap" explicitly state that Palestine is a soverign state, which Sharon is up in arms over (literally).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Cork
    Her work does not get the same exposure on TV as Mary Robinson - but She is doing some great work.

Can you give some examples of the "great work" she is doing? Maybe also an explanation as to why the media went nuts covering her predecessors works, and then decided to summarily ignore the current president?

I remember when her lack of work got great exposure - something like 6 months after coming in to office, there was a big furore that she was involved in a fraction of the amount of things that Robinson was, had a much emptier calendar, and seemed to have taken our presidency back to its pre-Robinson "unimpressive and unimportant" days.

Maybe I'm doing her an injustice, but I've never seen or heard anything impressive from her, and I can't help but consider that your support of the woman is something to do with the large party who backed her ascendancy.

About the only reason I think she'll win (and I do think she'll win) is because there isnt a credible alternate female candidate yet, and the "womens vote" will swing it for her over anyone.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Good point Sparks, the President does hold certain powers, but when was the last time we heard of those powers actually being exercised. I just think the Presidency is more about representation than authority. It is a PR exercise for people at home and abroad.
    Originally posted by bonkey:

About the only reason I think she'll win (and I do think she'll win) is because there isnt a credible alternate female candidate yet, and the "womens vote" will swing it for her over anyone
    I have a problem with this.

Women have for many years pointed towards the large dispartity between the number of male and female TD's in the Dail, citing it as demonstrating a level of sexism still evident in Irish politics. To a certain extent, I would agree with them, although high profile women candidates include Mary Harney, Mary Hanafin and Sile De Valera.

Surely, for a true representation of both sexes we should judge candidates based on their merits alone, and not by their sex. If a 'woman' candidate will receive the 'womans' vote for no other reason than being a woman, that to me displays a level of hypocrisy and yes sexism, to assume automatically that a woman is going to do better than a man at the same job.

I do think she's going to win as well, not only because she is a woman but because she still has the backing of Fianna Fail. Despite the anger many people feel at this political party, many are inexorably drawn to vote for any candidate that has their approval. I sincerely hope she doesn't though, although if it keeps her quiet for another Presidential term, it may be well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

micky D said he'd not interested.

Will somebody inform me the job of the president. Is it just to represent the country interrnationally period. I think the job is a bit of a waste really. So your better off just putting in somebody that you can afford to lose. I mean someone that likes going to sports matches, funerals and other crappy affairs.

I voted for David Norris. He's a bit of a muppet anyway. He is also well spoken, fancys himself as a bit of an aristocrat etc .......would mix well with all the bullshi**ers he'd have to chat to.

I would hate for the country to lose Michael D from day to day politics. Why do people think mikey D is an idiot. ?

Cant understand that one.

Macaleese...................she should of made a HUGE fuss last week. Refused to meet the teams until the english moved!!!! Ah no seriously i don't think much of her.

swiss,
    from wikipedia:
    The right, after consultation with the Council of State, to refer a Bill (other than a Money Bill or a Bill to amend the Constitution) to the Supreme Court to test its constitutionality;

(This is the most widely used presidential power.)

The right, after consultation with the Council of State, to set up a Committee on Privileges to solve a dispute between the two houses of the Oireachtas (parliament) over whether a Bill is a Money Bill;

(This power has never been used.)

The right, after consultation with the Council of State, to impose time-limits on the period during which Seanad Éireann can discuss a Bill.

(This power has never been used)

The right, after consultation with the Council of State, to decline to sign a Bill into law (other than a Money Bill, a Bill whose time for discussion in the Senate has been limited by the President, or a Bill to amend the Constitution) until it has been approved by the people in either a (a) referendum, or a (b) general election, held within eight months;

(This power has never been used.)

The right, after consultation with the Council of State and having had the text approved en bloc by the Government, to address, or send a message to, either or both Houses of the Oireachtas;

(This power has been used 4 times; by President de Valera once,
    President Robinson twice and President McAleese once.)

The right, after consultation with the Council of State and having had the text approved en bloc by the Government, to address, or send a message to, the Nation;

(This power has not been used.)

The right to refuse a Dáil dissolution to a Taoiseach who has "ceased to retain the support of a majority" in Dáil Éireann. (In such an event, another constitutional article requires the Taoiseach to submit his resignation immediately.)

(This power has not been used, but has been considered for use in 1944, 1982 (twice) and 1994.)

Originally posted by bonkey
    Can you give some examples of the "great work" she is doing? Maybe also an explanation as to why the media went nuts covering her predecessors works, and then decided to summarily ignore the current president?

Maybe I'm doing her an injustice, but I've never seen or heard anything impressive from her, and I can't help but consider that your support of the woman is something to do with the large party who backed her ascendancy.

jc

I know that She is excellent on a one to one basis with people. There have been various tadgedys - that She visited the relatives after the media cirus had gone away. She has invited a diverse range of groups to the Aras. I think people are genuinely impressed by her.

I think, you don't need a media bandwagon following the President around. For instance, Charlie Bird did a documentary on Mary Robinson. Could you remember anything of the documentary?

I think Mary Robinson addressed the Oireactas on 2 ocasions - I can't even remember why?

Don't get me wrong - Mary Robinson was a fine President. But, Mary Mcaleese is quietly working away. She is admired by many and does not need a media circus following her around.

My backing for her has nothing to do with the backing She received from FF. Mary Mcaleese represents a lot of positives about Ireland. She is above politics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

the President does hold certain powers, but when was the last time we heard of those powers actually being exercised.

The Phoenix did a piece on McAleese recently, and this is one of the matters it covered. Apparently, one of the only real powers of the President is that they can convene a Council of State, for one of two reasons: to present a copy of a speech the President intends to deliver to the Oireachtas, and to consider whether or not to refer a piece of legislation to the Supreme Court to consider it's constitutionality. Robinson did it eight times, six of which were to consider legisation, and McAleese did it three times.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You guys are taking this far too seriously, its a non-job
    for those beyond further useful life!

Okay I exaggerate but its not worth too much ink...I'd vote for Norris (if I had the vote) on the grounds that he's a decent chap who'll add some colour and would turn up too the odd event with his boyfriend, I'd love to see how various parties might react to that!

Micheal D would proberly be the first President of Ireland to provoke an assination attempt... ;)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Biffa Bacon

Mary McAleese because the other two are left-wingers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

Originally posted by dathi1
    His Evening Herald columns shows he’s not to keen on the Israelis....sure you wouldn’t change your mind?

Are you sure about that? His long time partner was an Israeli and when that relationship broke up after many years he complained that because it was a same-sex relationship, his partner could not claim citizenship or residency rights here on the strength of the long-standing relationship between the two of them.

Maybe he's just got all bitter and twisted.

Right now I think I would like to vote for the president most likely to smack Martin Johnson in the mouth if he kept him waiting before a rugby match and made him walk in the mud instead of the red carpet.

Norris it is then.
    ('You caused my shoes to get dirty, you bounder! Take that!!!' Slap!!!!!)

:eek:

Now that's an image!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

I reckon she should of just gone up and whispered "good luck" in his ear while discreetly kneeing him in the nuts:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement