Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Version2 cards & Sub-FTV compatability???

• 07-04-2003 9:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭

Has anyone received their v2 card yet?

And are the v2 sub cards with the v1 and or v2 FTV cards compatible for card switching??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭jez

In relation to this I tried the following .

I have a new type FTV Card and decoder.

Also have a old type FTV Card and decoder which still works.

However,I put my old card in the other box to see could I get ITV,CH4 and 5 on it. I couldn't .It said please contact Sky for a new card.

However,the new type card gives you the ITV's in my older box.

Basically,it seems that once a new type card has been installed on the digibox ,a working old type FTV card will not work on that box.

Whether you can switch new type sub card ,with new type FTV card I don't know. But certainly I think anyone with an old type FTV card and a new Irish card may have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 kierancooke

i live in co.antrim and i received a new sky card recently.
    i also have a scottish ftv card,which i was able to swop/change cards with my previous sky card as and when required.
    after installing the new sky viewing card i have been unable to
    use the scottish ftv card.when you change the cards the message "please insert your new sky viewing card" appears.
    when the scottish card is in the digibox the epg is for scottish channels but the only channels that are available are fta channels.
    i have'nt left the scottish card in overnight yet to see if the channels come through but then again i might leave it until the end of may to see what happens when bbc go free to air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Did you try power up box with FTV card? (mains not standby)

or

Change card after pressing TV guide but before selecting menu?

Also even a day out of box a card might miss a key and need left in for a few hours to update.

Box seems to remember cards even after power off since Ver 3 SW, but recognise a different card on power on (at mains, not the standby)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Amnesiac_ie

I'm having a similar problem... ROI Sub card works fine, but I no longer get ITV/Channel 4/five on my UK FTA card

• Registered Users Posts: 36 kierancooke

Did you try power up box with FTV card? (mains not standby)

i tried above but the message "please insert your new sky card" still came up.
    do you think that after you install the new sky card it deactivates any other cards you may have and this is sky's way of cutting down the number of ftv cards that are available.
    so be very vary if you receive your new sky card because after installing any ftv cards that you may have could become invalid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 skydigiman

Ftv cards will deactivate them selfs if they have'nt been used within a few days to a week, skydigital cards will do the same but your looking at 2 weeks for thoes , in both cases the only solution is to leave your ftv card in the box and switched on , does'nt matter what channel , viewing will be restored within 3 days .skycards will take longer and a phone call to sky is best advised

Please also note , it is very important to unplug the digibox insert witchever card is not working , apply the mains again and leave ,

To avoid it happening again , try and remember to swap cards on a regular bases eg: going out for the night or away for a few days , even going to work in the mornings etc.. happy viewing

:cool: Marty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

Must try that. Will let you know if it works!
    (BBC stations Gone on FTV)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

I have a new ROI sub-card and a new FTV card and they are fully interchangable in my digibox. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 alfa

I had anticipated problems with my current UK FTV card so when the Ireland on Sunday offer of new sky connection for €15 came up last weekend I ordered a new subscription.

In my mind, cheapest way of getting a new receiver - my old receiver is well out of its 12 month contract, so when I get new connection i shall cancel my current subsription and simply use my old box for my FTV card.

Only downside is that I shall have 2 dishes for a period. Nothing I can't sort out later with a duad lnb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭piet

With that dual lnb, will only the one cable work for 2 decoders, or do you have to feed in a second cable to the second decoder?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 alfa

need 2 No. cables. Not an issue if discreetly installed.

I asked installer previously to install white cable which blended well with fascia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Amnesiac_ie

I've left the FTV card in overnight but the channels didn't appear... trouble is, I can't leave it in for a longer period of time because I'm only home one weekend a month anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Originally posted by piet
    With that dual lnb, will only the one cable work for 2 decoders, or do you have to feed in a second cable to the second decoder?

If you could use one cable, you could use a single output LNB.

LNB has 4 "modes" so each receiver needs its own cable and LNB o/p

This is why a "communal" 4 o/p LNB is NOT a Quad LNB, on a Quad each o/p can be any mode. On a communal the mode of each o/p is fixed. All rooms / apartments are then feed with all four cables and a wall box with a single or dual o/p simulates the LNB for the Digibox, in reality selecting one of the four distribution cables.

This is why a single Digibox / Cable can carry 4 times the channels of any cable system, as each of the 4 modes can have enough channels for all the frequecies the cable/box can tune.

It is like as if there is a 4 way waveband switch in the LNB using 14/18V Dc for Vertical/ Horizontal and 22Khz tone for 10.7 to 11.7 or 11.7 to 12.7 Ghz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭rovingrover

Interesting replies here. My take now is

1) Card swapping won't work with new sub cards and old FTV cards.

2) Card swapping will work with new FTV cards and new sub cards.

3) I assume a new FTV card and an old sub card won't allow swapping either.

4) Cross checks are being done now with box numbers so it will be more difficult to get a new fTV card paired to an Irish sub box.

5) I think it's time to get a new FTV card and take your chance when pairing it to an Irish sub box but only pair it after the new sub card arrives.

I still have a couple of questions

1) An old FTV card that no longer works after a new card is used on the box
    - Will this work for ITV, C4 & five on another Digibox?
    - Will it work again if the box is powered down and started upo with old FTV card inserted

2) Has anyone tried a new version FTV card and an old Irish sub card in the same box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭navi_5445

.2) Has anyone tried a new version FTV card and an old Irish sub card in the same box?

Yes. Works fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 skydigiman

Interesting replies here. My take now is

You know you really should'nt reply to post unless you know what you talking about..........

Your hole post is one contradiction after another.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i read on here that West Sat are going to send out replacement FTV cards to everyone who bought one off of them. anyone received one off them yet?

i don't want to be losing channels if my new sub card arrives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I was one of the ones west-sat said they'd send a free replacement - I have on reason doubt them as I've always found their service to be first class. However I have yet to receive my new card - I'll let you know what happens when I do. I'm not going to risk using the old FTA card with the new card.

Any idea when Sky are going to be sending new cards out in the ROI or are they doing so already?

I'm contemplating a move to Letterkenny soon - does digital terrestrial leak across the border like analogue does? If so it might be bye-bye sky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭jabarrett35

I rang the FTV centre and the said that at present they were not replacing FTV cards. You on V2 if one was ordering a new card. They also have no plans to turn off old cards (obviousif they are not replacing them). But I'm wondering where this leaves those of us with an new Irish sub card and an old FTV card if they do not work after you have inserted the V2 card. Will we have to ring the FTV centre with some cock and bull stories about dogs and children chewing cards! Any ideas?

New box, new v2 card, if old ftv card inserted the free channels are there, apart from the bbc channels.
    So itv, channel 4 and tv5 are there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

have i got this right

v1 FTV card + v2 sub card = ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 still working on v1 FTV card (that reads like a mathematical equation)

if the BBC go FTA then that will make no difference to anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

New box, new v2 card, if old ftv card inserted the free channels are there, apart from the bbc channels.

From the experience I had with a new FTV card, the BBC channels take a lot longer to arrive - up to 3 days in my case. Is your box a panasonic? also how long have you had your FTV card?

New box is pace, ftv card I got 8 months ago so with the sky logo on it, so that must be v1? The new sub card has the house on it!
    I will try to leave the ftv card in the new box for a couple of days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

Got new FTV card during the week,and it will interchange with the old type FTV card no problems has not killed it either.Also gave a different version number & serial number to the box that I got it married to with & have done this before a couple of times without any problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

Originally posted by SPAWKER
    Got new FTV card during the week,and it will interchange with the old type FTV card no problems has not killed it either.Also gave a different version number & serial number to the box that I got it married to with & have done this before a couple of times without any problems.

Just a matter of interest, are you a new subscriber or was it a replacement card that you got?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

No I am not a subscriber,I just was able to obtain a card from a different reigon.But I will be getting a replacment NI card next week.:)

Hi,i received my new Sky sub card this morning,i have subscribed to Sky digital for about 3 years.Anyway i put in the new card,followed the instructions and that card worked no problem,but when i put in the FTV card (not the new type)it no longer worked saying that i should put in the new card and call the FTV phone number.

Anyone know what i should do,i rang the FTV number and pretended to be the UK address to which that card was issued to and the lady i spoke to said a new card would be issued soon.

So is it still possible to swap sub and FTV cards with the new type cards,i would hate to lose the Beebs!

I live in Sligo by the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Icehouse

Originally posted by zorro2566
    Hi,i received my new Sky sub card this morning,i have subscribed to Sky digital for about 3 years.Anyway i put in the new card,followed the instructions and that card worked no problem,but when i put in the FTV card (not the new type)it no longer worked saying that i should put in the new card and call the FTV phone number.

Anyone know what i should do,i rang the FTV number and pretended to be the UK address to which that card was issued to and the lady i spoke to said a new card would be issued soon.

So is it still possible to swap sub and FTV cards with the new type cards,i would hate to lose the Beebs!

I live in Sligo by the way!

Try the reactivation trick mentioned in another thread on your FTV card. i was under the impression that FTV and sub cards still worked sisde by side for most people? Anyways if it's only BBC you're worried about, they have announced that from the end of May they will no longer be scrambled, which mean they will not need a card in the ROI

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

New box is pace, ftv card I got 8 months ago so with the sky logo on it, so that must be v1? The new sub card has the house on it!
    I will try to leave the ftv card in the new box for a couple of days.

Out of curiousity, is the first digit of the FTV card a 1? I read on another forum (possibly Digital Spy) that some cards with the old logo are P2 cards, and are recognised if the number starts with 1. P1 cards start with a zero.

Also, what is the onsceen message when you try to watch BBC?

• Advertisement

First digit,of nine, is a 0.
    I did not have a chance yet to leave the card in for a couple of days, course the wife takes it in the living room to watch a film on five, BBC is on the sub card anyhow!

The message I get on bbc 1 & 2 is:
    07 This is the wrong card for this box etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

hmmm...this is not true for everyone. My new sub card arrived yesterday. It worked fine but my old FTV card no longer works. Says please insert your new card or ring a number.
    Haven't tried the rebooting with backup held down yet as I don't want to risk missing up my digibox until after the West Ham - Man City match on Sunday (come on the hammers).

Advertisement