Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

multiple line triggers

Options
  • 07-04-2003 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭

I've written a few triggers like this for the document imaging system I've been working on, this one should update the size of a document on the doc' table when images are deleted from the system. however, if a range if images are deleted, only the first document in the reange is updated. do I have to put a loop into the script to cycle through the deleted recordset or is there a way of combining the tables so it can be accomplished in one pass?

/****** Object: Trigger dbo.trigDelImages Script Date: 07/04/2003 00:07:06 ******/
    CREATE TRIGGER trigDelImages ON [dbo].[Images]
    FOR DELETE
    AS

declare @DocNo int
    declare @Size bigint
    declare @NoPages int

--@docno = deleted image doc, @Size = size of remaining files
    --@no pages = # of pages in document
    select @DocNo = docno from deleted
    select @Size = sum(imagesize) from images where docno = @docNo
    select @NoPages = count(*) from images where docno = @docno

UPDATE document
    SET DocSize = @Size, NoPages = @NoPages
    WHERE docno = @DocNo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Use a cursor Luke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Luke?

cursor - elaborate please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

ahhhh why dont you just join deleted in to the update statement and get rid of the variables altogether... as for cursors stay away from them, they are evil :).... SQL is a set based language and cursors do things on a row by row basis and carry a large over head...

kayos

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

<asking as I'm new to SQL Server tbh />

So Kayos would
    UPDATE 
    document, images, deleted 
    SET 
    document.DocSize = (Select sum(imagesize) from images where images.docno = deleted.docno),
    document.NoPages = (SELECT count(*) from images where images.docno = deleted.docno)
    WHERE 
    images.docno = deleted.docno

do the same thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

cusors do have their use though
    ms sql was a set based from 2000 onwards prior to that it was a bit of row and set based

Space dog how are you deleting the images ?
    the trigger should fire every time u delete an image from the table

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

No need for a cursor there at all at all. Horrible slow things they are too ;) Avoid unless absolutely necessary.

Here's how I'd do it....I think.

Not having the tables to hand, I've made one or two small assumptions, and I havent been able to test it obviously :)

I tried recoding it to avoid the nested query, but I dont think I can work the grouping functions into the table-definitions supported by UPDATE syntax, so this was the easiest way around it.

If performance was an issue, I'd consider just adding/subtracting values from docSize and NoPages on insert/update/delete rather than recalculating them from scratch. Probably a bit more work overall, but also probably faster...although like I said it would depend on your data-set size.

Anyway...the code.
    CREATE TRIGGER trigDelImages ON [dbo].[Images] 
    FOR DELETE 
    AS

UPDATE document
    SET  document.DocSize = t1.docSize,
         NoPages = t1.docCount
    FROM document, (SELECT  deleted.DocNo
                            sum(images.imageSize) as docSize,
                            count(*) as docCount
                      FROM  deleted,
                            images
                      WHERE deleted.docno = images.docno
                      GROUP BY deleted.docno
                   ) t1
    WHERE document.DocNo = t1.DocNo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by amen
    ms sql was a set based from 2000 onwards prior to that it was a bit of row and set based

Emmm....huh?

SQL 2000 was an incremental release over SQL 7.0 - which was the first complete rewrite since MS acquired the product. So if anything changed, it was in the 6.5 to 7.0 transition, not 7.0 to 2000.

And I'm not sure what you mean that it used to be "row and set based" anyway....if anything, SQL 7.0 gave more and more capability to operate at a row level then ever before. Hell, 6.5 didnt even support row-level locking.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Don't use a cursor if you can avoid one.

If however you want to 'loop' a cursor is how you'd do it, also it's useful to know what one is, just in case.

Advertisement