Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SKY Budapest

• 07-04-2003 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi there,

Anyone know if i will be able to receive RTE Channels Via Sat in Budapest...? Im currently in Greece and I am told that the RTE Channels (along with some others) are not being transmitted on the south beam... Will the same apply to Budapest?

Comments

Originally posted by muffman
    Hi there,

Anyone know if i will be able to receive RTE Channels Via Sat in Budapest...? Im currently in Greece and I am told that the RTE Channels (along with some others) are not being transmitted on the south beam... Will the same apply to Budapest?
    I think I can remember, in the fog of drink, watching RTÉ in an Irish pub in Vienna, which is only over the road from Budapest.
    So it's probably possible, don't know what the dish size was though.
    mm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

ITV , Hallmark, Disney, Irish Channels (and soon BBC) are all on British Isles Beam (2D), I think.

You'd need a very big Dish in Austria
    http://www.ses-astra.com/satellites/footprints.php?sat=15

2_d.jpg

They do get it in parts of Spain and Gibralter, so a circle at that distance does go through Austria.

Hmm.

It's gas how iceland on that map looks as close to Ireland as France.
    mm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Hmmmm.

Man, These are small, but the one's out there are far away.... Small..... far away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

Budapest isnt too far from me at the mo, I just ordered a 0.3db LNB and a 1.5M dish to thwart BBC and their 2D jump. I let you know how I get on.
    I read on a uk site somewhere 1.5-2M dish is reqd as we are well east of the stingy 2D footprint.

PM me on your location/intentions. ie are you moving to Hungary??? Its 3hrs from here.

Dathai

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Man
    It's gas how iceland on that map looks as close to Ireland as France.
    mm
    Iceland is closer than it looks on a "flat" mercator projection map. Certainly may be no further than Spain. A traditional flat map as you go north exagerates the distances very much, esp, in horisontal direction (Like north pole is dot, not the width of the equator! ) But you all knew that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 szutyok

There's a website about Astra 2D reception in Europe, the URL is: http://www.astra2d.cjb.net/ (Make sure you kill all the popup windows!!!)

Reception in Budapest is probably possible, however it would be a good idea to wait until the BBC moves to 2D (end of May), as there'll be a lot more reception reports then. Right now all I know is vertical transponders can be picked up with a 1.4m dish. Unfortunately the Irish channels are on a horizontal transponder, which are reportedly weaker in Hungary. I'm not sure whether these reports are accurate, as H TPs are stronger everywhere else in Europe.

Right now I have a 1.1m dish here in Budapest, which is small for 2D, at the end of May I will be able to give you more precise information.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 muffman

Hi all,

thanks everyone for your help...;)
    At least I have Playboy if I cant see Anne Doyle on the news!:p

I took the covearge map image off my server as traffic uses up all my firewall connections :D

The astra link has it though.

Advertisement