Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dark and soft RTE picture via Sky Digital

• 07-04-2003 2:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or does RTE appear to be a little darker than all the rest of the channels on Sky?

I have noticed this a few times now, but didn't think much of it. In the past few days I have noticed several programmes on RTE1 which were so dark I had to turn up the brightness on my TV to see them!! Everything appears fine on all the other channels, and I can really notice this when the scence of the programme is meant to be a little dark anyways.

Also, the picture from all the Irish channels appears to be slightly "softened" or "blurred". The image is definitly not as sharp as it is on the rest of the channels (except maybe for some dodgy shopping channels!).

Am I going mad, or are RTE applying some type of filter to their channels before they get broadcast on Sky?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Darby OGill

Not sure about the darkness, but I've definitely noticed that colours on my RTE (terrestrial) picture are less vivid than on satellite- if I switch from a Champions League game on ITV (satellite) to RTE, the difference is remarkable. Also, I think the quality of sound is poorer on RTE.

Maybe Watty has all the knowledge on this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Current Legislation and forum rules prevent me commenting fully :D

Off air TV from Woodcock hill UHF relay is very variable.

VHF is usually softer (Maghera or Mullaganish: Is it because these sites were designed for 405Lines?). Much more interference on VHF.

I don't watch Irish TV much now (Maybe a bit of TV3 AM between BBC World TV and CNN).

My BBC World TV Analog Satellite picture is better than some Sky Digital Channels.

There is a huge variation of quality on Sky (Astra2 /Eurobird), Hotbird Analog, HotBird Digital, Astra 19 Analog, Astra 19 Digital.

One experimental package I have for PC based satellite has per channel presets. You'd need them. Esp. for sound level.

I have to change brightness on TV for each different Line Source (S-VHS, DVD, Sky Digibox, Front Door Camera, 2 x Analog Satellite Receivers and different again for RF.). This is in addition to any Sky Channel / DVD / VHS material variations.

The inherent variation between sources (RF, SCART1 Sky, SCART2 DVD etc) is greater than channel variation on RF or SKY.

There appears to be a great variation in sharpness of channels.
    MS-NBC in NTSC on 15W is softest :D

C-SPAN/VOA TV feeds of Bloomberg makes Webcam look sharp!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭West Briton

In my experience, anything RTE shows from film is quite dark, and I view it on analogue. Doesn't seem to have much of a difference on the occasions that I view it off satellite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭Ozzie

I notice with certain US programmes, ie, ER, The West Wing, The Practice that there is a "funny" kind of darkness (sorry for being technical!). It's very off-putting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭jabarrett35

Yes I've also noticed this both on satellite and terresterial. Whats more annoying is the size of the picture when the West wing is on when watching it on a wide screen TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Yes, I remarked on this about 10-12 days ago about the time RTÉ1 was showing 'Heat' -it was so dark it was unwatchable. All 4 Irish channels were like this at that time; the situation seems to have alleviated somewhat now.

Éamonn

Advertisement