Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

40% for entry to diploma....

• 07-04-2003 2:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭

Just curious if anyone has heard that hetac the irish body responsible for awarding qualifications at all levels of higher level education has put forward a proposal to have the minimum standard for entry into a third level diploma course dropped from 55% to 40% ???

Someone who is in the know would be greatly appreciated as this is just a RUMOUR which i heard.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Hey bicky,
    i don't think that it was hetac trying to drop the mark but student presidents and the like. I know they tried to do it here in carlow but failed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 djunclemacs

well bicky this change, if it will occur, will take at least 10 years if Fianna Fail remain in power to be implemented. this change from 55 to 40 will affect your children and not you, sorry to be the barer of bad news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

Well i heard it from a reliable source...

The head of the computing department in my college says he would be surprised if it did not happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

I'm at Letterkenny IT and one of our lecturer's told us that it should be implemented in the next year or 2.

He seemed pretty sure about it, then again you never know.

Farlz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

it is kinda working that way in castlebar already, that is depending on the head of the course.
    I am in this years union and would like to see that been brought to the attn. of usi. it could be interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

i had a lecturer tell me the same thing last year, he said it would be implemented in the sam year. .but then again he said alot of things..
    But i did find out that some people who had just barely passed the course were allowed through to the diploma..
    i dont know what the criteria were, i could very well have been random. but as for any official change i doubt it will come soon..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

The Engineering course i think it is in Letterkenny has been dropped to only needing a 40% average to get into the diploma this year cuz the year is so crap

I hear its mentioned about happening to computing as well yay if it is!

I'm not quite sure of the full story behind but if i hear more i'll post here.

Farlz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Darth Henry

according to my lecturers it doesn't matter whether it's 55% or 40% because the only the top x number of people get through to the diploma and degree years.

theres only so many places and it all depends on how the rest of the people in your course get on.

i've been told that 55 is the minimum at the moment but even getting 58 or 59 mightn't get me through to next year.

Advertisement