Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N.I - who's to blame 4 crisis

Options
  • 07-04-2003 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭

I cant understand why sinn fein are being blamed for the current mess. Can people not see that even if the IRA came out in the morning and said we no longer exists or what ever specific words that the Unionists want ............ it would never be enough.

The next time a renegade IRA member was caught for a crime anything , from sniffing glue to car theft , the peace process would be called into question with the unionists claiming IRA activity.

At the moment the IRA have relitive control over they're members and hence the current long-lasting cease fire.

As far as i can determine there are no current IRA activities prohibiting unionists practiceing politics. Its plainly obvious that the unionists have adopted a policy of hinderence to prevent any further progress by nationalists.

The simple fact of the matter is that the unionists have failed to honour the good friday agreement in full.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Biffa Bacon

100% the UUP's fault. They signed up to the Good Friday Agreement so they should stick to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

In what way have sinn fein not kept there side of the agreement?

They continue to use their private army as a criminal gang.

By this do you mean Sinn Fein are using a criminal gang.

So why do Sinn Fein need their own criminal gang? What do Sinn Fein use them for?

On decommissioning. I didn't think anybody, even unionists, took this seriously. Whats the point in decommissioning. I always believed that the significance of decommissioning was to show that the IRA were willing to give up their arms by decommissioning a significant amount of arms. Which they have done.
    Decommissioning can only ever by a gesture cause who can tell when full decommissioning has occurred.

What would be an accurate measure of decommissioning.? maby if we had independant inspectors that verify that weapons have been decommissioned? No..................that would't work. Thats me i'm fresh out of ideas

• Advertisement

Originally posted by daveirl
    How can it possibly be 100% the UUPs fault. Sinn Féin/IRA haven't kept up their end of the deal either.
    Sinn Féin have kept their side of the deal. They are not the IRA. There is no reason for them to be excluded from government under the terms of the GFA.

The blame, is always going to be somewhere in the middle.
    There are too many vested interests on both sides of the argument.

Both sides are looking for victory, pure and simple, thus bringing us regularly after a few breakthroughs up to a brick wall.
    I don't see the IRA fully decommissioning, in a way that would look like surrender.
    Ok their victims and hardline unionists understandably want that, but,rather they should be continuing to look for the comprimise.
    Because, one thing is certain, the further down this road all parties go, the more difficult, it is for the IRA to go back to terrorism.
    mm

Why do they need the IRA to be running around the place breaking the law both North and South of the border. Why do they need them to smuggle guns, petrol and much much more
    originally posted by Dave eirl

The don't need them thats why they don't have them!
    To say Sinn Fein has a private army or has a criminal gang working for them is a bit ridiculous. Do you not think?

Directly linking the IRA with Sinn Fein always seems to me to be a 'closed minded', stubbornly anti-republican stance to me. (I still welcome everyones opinions)

I would argue that Sinn Fein doesn't have the IRA.
    What they have managed to do, on the other hand, is convince members of their own community that voilence is not the way froward. They have brought a whole segment of the republican community from an armed struggle to a political one. Actually I would go as far as to say that Sinn Fein are the only party in the north engaging in pro-active politics. (as opposed to reactive)

I believe that whatever activities the IRA are still engaged in are minimal if any, and more often than not; completely fabricated.

Coming from a thirty year war, it would be extremly difficult to keep all hardcore elements in line. I do believe that in this respect, the IRA have done well to hold the vast majority of its members under cotrol, which has to be seen as a good sighn.

But I definitely don't agree that any of theses activities are a threat to the peace process.

originally posted by man
    Because, one thing is certain, the further down this road all parties go, the more difficult, it is for the IRA to go back to terrorism

Dave would you not see this as a more valid option that getting hung up on decommissioning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Nelson Mandela was commander in chief of the MK, the military wing (or "terrorist" wing- whichever suits you) of the ANC, after its founding in 1961 which carried out bombings in South Africa. Out of interest are Mandela and the ANC (who continue to hold strong ties with Sinn Fein ) terrorists?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Éomer of Rohan

As we have discussed at great length in other threads, terrorist is a subjective term and in my opinion should be eliminated from vocabulary - especially American and Irish vocabularies. A terrorist depends on who is the person calling that person a terrorist.

Anyway, Back OT, I do not think it is fair to ascribe problems to one political party and to vindicate others. People promulgate sectarian policies and politics simply by voting for Sinn Fein, SDLP, UUP, DUP, UKUP, PUP, 32 Counties et al. Even the Alliance Party is tainted by their willing collaboration in maintenance of Sinn Fein at the talking table in defiance of the GFA - Sinn Fein have not decomissioned (and while I don't think it is practicable for them to decomission at this point in time, the fact remains, thay have not done so).

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How about stopping blaming people and getting on with the job?

Blaming is not the issue; history and therefore precedent are the issues and these are important.

response to dave erl

i still maintain that Sinn Fein don't have the IRA.

The fact of the matter is that the IRA and Sinn Fein spring from the same communities and thats where the link arises. Sinn Fein are not the IRA, they don't own them, direct them and certainly don't use them for smuggling petrol!!!

As for your second point, I dont agree with your definition of republicanism :
    criminals and thugs who latch onto a politcal idea

i thinkk your stretching it a bit trying to strengthen your argument which in turn only serves to weaken the points you make.

to sum up i disagree with most things you say!!!!;)

Victor : How about stopping blaming people and getting on with the job?

If this is your view do you agree with sanctions?

Which do you think got the results in South Africa, the worldwide political pressure or terrorist attacks?

ah yes, worldwide political pressure, like every UN nation but Sth Africa condemning the Sharpeville massacre in 1960 and in the same period South Africa increased exports to Europe by 50%, Nth America by 65% and Asia by 300%. With pressure put on the apartheid government like this I'm amazed it lasted as long as it did! The Sth African government were not going to listen to peaceful protests, they hadn't for decades before and showed no signs of reforming and Mandela and his MK FREEDOM FIGHTERS , like the IRA leadership in the North, realised a bombing campaign would get the governments attention which it unquestionably did.

I am anti criminals and thugs who latch onto a politcal idea. What's wrong with that?

:confused:
    what kind of criminal or thug would willingly die in prison like Bobby Sands or the other hunger strikers who would rather starve himself than to betray those who died for this country in accepting his actions as being criminal. Trust me, any criminals or thugs would be more than happy to wear a prison uniform and get their dinners and TV ,so to label men like Sands as a criminal or a thug is totally narrow minded. but saying that I am sure that there were and are members of the IRA who were indeed b*****ds and had no ideals and used the movement for their own gains, but these very much the exception rather than the rule

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by spandauballet
    to label men like Sands as a criminal or a thug is totally narrow minded.

Whatever about calling him a thug, he broke the laws of the legally recognised government of the day.

He was prosecuted, found guilty, and sentenced.

That makes him - by definition - a criminal. There is nothing narrow-minded about it - the reason you break a law does not mitigate the fact that you broke the law.

You can argue all you like about why he was a criminal, or whether or not he was morally right to have performed criminal acts, but it still wont change the reality that he was a criminal - he comitted crimes.

jc

• Advertisement

Originally posted by bonkey
    He was prosecuted, found guilty, and sentenced.

That makes him - by definition - a criminal.

ok then, following that logic then, the following are criminals for breaking the law of their recognised governments...
    Ghadi, Mandela, Martin Luther King, Padraig Pearse and his 1916 comrades (not to mention 1798 etc), George Washington etc etc etc.
    also the British were not recognised as the official government of the north if you want to take into account the old articles 2 and 3 of our constitution.

a wee discussion board to release all those anti Sinn Fein feelings

origionally posted by dave eirl I am anti criminals and thugs who latch onto a politcal idea

I agree with spandauballet so theres no need to rehash what he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by spandauballet
    ok then, following that logic then, the following are criminals for breaking the law of their recognised governments...
    Ghadi, Mandela, Martin Luther King, Padraig Pearse and his 1916 comrades (not to mention 1798 etc), George Washington etc etc etc.

That is correct. They were, or are, criminals.

Dont confuse me with the person who insisted they are "anti criminals and thugs who latch onto political ideals".

also the British were not recognised as the official government of the north if you want to take into account the old articles 2 and 3 of our constitution.

Actually, article 3 explicitly recognised that the authority of the Irish government only covered the 26 counties, and that it would remain so until the unification of ireland could be brought about "only by peaceful means with the consent of a
    majority of the people
    , democratically expressed, in both
    jurisdictions
    in the island"

Article 2 simply extended the right of Irish citizenship to anyone born on the Island.

This myth that Article 3 in any way gave legitimacy to the terrroist and/or criminal activities of the IRA in the North of Ireland is astounding in its persistency, and in how many people seem to believe it.

jc

All the crisis in the North comes down to is that the UUP is trying to use politics to solve a policing issue, i.e. criminal activity by paramilitaries. The police should be used to solve the policing issue, i.e. security crackdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by bonkey
    This myth that Article 3 in any way gave legitimacy to the terrroist and/or criminal activities of the IRA in the North of Ireland is astounding in its persistency, and in how many people seem to believe it.
    Eh, but the IRA doesn't recognise the authority of the Freestate, does it?

All the crisis in the North comes down to is that the UUP is trying to use politics to solve a policing issue, i.e. criminal activity by paramilitaries. The police should be used to solve the policing issue, i.e. security crackdown.

LOL - please do not comment if you have no idea what you are talking about. The last 'security crackdown' resulted in the Catholic population of West Belfast turning vehemently anti-British and IRA membership shot up. The drugs and so on are a policing issue but the point is obvious that this cannot be tackled efficiently and effectively until these drug dealers loose their ideological basis within each community (same applies to common criminals such as IRA or UVF car thieves etc) - once the Catholic population have faith in the RUC (no small matter since they have been betrayed time and again by the police - I should know, my father is an officer thereof) then all the regularities of policing will return. Decommissioning and the policing board are obviously a big step in this. Also, Biffa, please explain how you attribute this to the UUP 'trying to use politics to solve a policing issue' because the UUP have no control over the police and certainly nor should they.

On the policing issue - republican commentators have commented that if there was significant movement here ie. restricting the power of the commissioner, more movements on patten etc

It could lead to another historic move by the IRA. ie a large decommissioning or step towards disbandment.

Policeing and decommissioning are tied.

Not sure if we'll see it in time for elections though- --- unionists don't fancy Martin as first minister!!

originally posted by dave eirl
    Why is it always the responsiblity of the British government to make concessions first

The hard part about the NI negotiations is reaching an agreement that the parties can sell to their supporters.

I don't really understand you thinking here. There's no first or last really. I suppose Sinn Fein and the British are trying to reach an agreement where the both gain something by both making concessions. ....................... its negotiation !

Next your gonna say : why can't we all just get along and be happy! This is not a bad theory but I'm sure you can appreciate that it can't work within the confines of reality.

originally posted by dave eirl
    I've heard all this before

And I you also
    ;)

• Advertisement

The hard part is to realise that nationality is no longer the question. Living together with a community that you have learned to fear and distrust and with a police force that is still mainly from one community and has been guilty of betrayal in the past is. It is important to recognise that there is no incentive for politicians in Northern Ireland to reach 'consensus' when they and their paramilitary wings (for those groups that have them) profit so much by the irregular situation up here.

Advertisement