Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ssh

Options
  • 07-04-2003 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

I just started work today within a company. I want to use ssh to connect a remote server. The problem is that the network (firewall or otherwise) does not allow a ssh or telnet connection. To get around this i tried installing httptunnell but it wont allow me to install it on my workstation. I dont have access to the C:\winnt folder so that excludes alot of aps. Can anyone help? ... is there site that i can use to connect from a browser?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

not really a broadband issue, moving to nets / comms.

googled and got this if its any help.

"Problem
    I want to use a secure connection to another computer.

Solution
    Installing SSH for Windows is accomplished as follows:

Download the installation file by clicking HERE. Alternatively, if the R: network drive is configured on your system, the file is also at R:\Support\Public\Windows_OS\Internet\SSH.

Run the installation file that you have just downloaded.

After the installation process is over, run SSH Secure Shell Client.

To connect to a computer (e.g. Kepler):

Click on File and select Connect...

In the Host Name field, type kepler.pa.msu.edu, or the name of the computer that you are trying to which you are trying to make an SSH connection. Type your username in the Username field. When the program connects, you will be asked for your password.

You can save the connection information by clicking on Profiles, selecting Add Profile..., giving your profile a name, and clicking on Add Current Connection to Profiles."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Ro

Download the latest copy of Putty:
    http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

Under: Connection -> Proxy

Set the proxy type to http and fill in the details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 ainran

just tried that there now ... no go, i know i am putting in the proxy settings properly (copied them from IE) . Just cant figure it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

PuTTy's new Proxy facility should work for you.

I've tried using it through a http proxy (squid) and have had no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

A correctly configured HTTP proxy will not allow you to use a CONNECT method to get to port 22 on a remote machine. On the ssh server you'd want to either change the port on which ssh listens (possibly running two copies of sshd, one on port 22, the other on the alternate port), or use something like an iptables REDIRECT rule to throw connections on a higher port at the sshd running on port 22. AFAIK by default Squid will only allow CONNECT method on ports 443 and 563.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Zaltais

Talk to your companies IT personel. Seriously. You just started the job yesterday. Already you're trying to circumvent security measures in place. You are also trying to install unauthorised software. This could get you fired. Trust me.

Obviously you do not need access to SSH to do your job (or ways of accessing it would have been provided).

Many companies will interpret the presence of an SSH client on your PC as you attempting to hack into their systems.

If you really want to keep this job I'd recommend you either talk to your IT people (they may not know how to bypass their own security, but at least they may clear you to try), or do without. Especially when you are literally just in the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭zz03

Originally posted by ainran
    I just started work today within a company. I want to use ssh to connect a remote server. The problem is that the network (firewall or otherwise) does not allow a ssh or telnet connection. To get around this i tried installing httptunnell but it wont allow me to install it on my workstation. I dont have access to the C:\winnt folder so that excludes alot of aps. Can anyone help? ... is there site that i can use to connect from a browser?

Suggestions: Ask person responsible to open SSH port in firewall (port 22 from memory). If they won't do that why not run a separate dial-up connection from your workstation for SSH access (ie bypass the corporate internet completely).

zz..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Zaltais
    Talk to your companies IT personel. Seriously. You just started the job yesterday. Already you're trying to circumvent security measures in place. You are also trying to install unauthorised software. This could get you fired. Trust me.

Obviously you do not need access to SSH to do your job (or ways of accessing it would have been provided).

Many companies will interpret the presence of an SSH client on your PC as you attempting to hack into their systems.

If you really want to keep this job I'd recommend you either talk to your IT people (they may not know how to bypass their own security, but at least they may clear you to try), or do without. Especially when you are literally just in the door.

That is the best piece of advice on this thread yet.
    You're a noob in the company. Wait a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭schrodinger

Originally posted by ainran
    just tried that there now ... no go, i know i am putting in the proxy settings properly (copied them from IE) . Just cant figure it out.

Did yous set the correct proxy type? Try getting a program called "Through the Firewall" I used to it in college to putty out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

its called through the fire

*link removed cos of the whinge-factor*

google oughta bring it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Mordeth: make ur own fscking mirror of ttf and don't be pimping it from my domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

If they won't do that why not run a separate dial-up connection from your workstation for SSH access (ie bypass the corporate internet completely).

Do not under any circumstances do that. If you think the sysadmins would be pissed off at you running putty, then they' tie you down and rape you with a toilet brush if they found out you were opening an unfirewalled & unauthorised connection from their internal network to the internet.

worst advice ever (tm)

(Sorry zz, but no, nononono, do not do that!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭zz03

Originally posted by rob1891
    Do not under any circumstances do that. If you think the sysadmins would be pissed off at you running putty, then they' tie you down and rape you with a toilet brush if they found out you were opening an unfirewalled & unauthorised connection from their internal network to the internet.

worst advice ever (tm)

(Sorry zz, but no, nononono, do not do that!!)

Why? You (and other contributors to this topic) are making all sorts of assumptions about this individual.

If I was in charge of a firewall I might say piss off because I don't want any (additional) ports open for security reasons.

I might be quite happy for the individual to set up his own dial-up connection in the circumstances. No skin off my nose.

One has very little information about the details of his circumstances.

It's up to him to take personal responsibility for his actions. I'm sure he will know himself whether or not installing a modem and setting up a dial up connection is beyond his employee authority. And if he doesn't, his IT manager is doing an appalling communications job and should get a bit of what you suggested in your posting.

This topic is called "nets/coms". Not "sysadmin/don't be a naughty" boy.

zz..

Advertisement