Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

May we please.....

Options
  • 07-04-2003 9:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭

I was wondering if you could, please, please, please set up a "Christian" comunity board?
    There is a fair few christians who post on the boards and it would be nice if we had a gathering point.

Thanks either way.
    Sean.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

OH TESTIFY!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Dude, don't mock. Please.

please?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

He's right, people shouldnt mock others religious beliefs (on the other hand people shouldn't force their religious beliefs into schools to be taught as curriculum :) ).

I was thinking about this today, after looking at the "paganism" forum. I dunno, I know we've denied the request before but Gandalf has a point (as well as a very long sig). I'll consult the Great And Almighty Cake and see what its sponge-filled decision on this is.

DeV.

Dev, there is a paganism forum, why not a christianity forum?
    c'mon.... it will bring more trafic on here.....

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

You think that traffic motivates us? Thats not our style.

What we concern ourselves with is "what is good for Boards.ie's community". Using logic like "they have one so why not us" ... along with 1 euro 50 cent will get you a hot cup of coffee. And not much more :)

Its something we'll consider, personally I'm reasonably in favour of it but if it attracts freaks and prosletysing theres going to be one ginormous *crunch* and tears before bedtime.

We didnt build Boards to "spread the word" and dont even give me the "we're not all like that" speech because I know you arent... but I'm not worried about the ones that arent. :)

My vote would be to try it. Of course, cake doesnt have voting.

DeV.

If you let JustHalf mod it i promise that any muppetry/non-our-forum talking about our faith shall be delt with and reported to higher powers(thats you).

Pwease????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

I thought people who suggested forums weren't allowed mod them OoOo :eek: ;):confused:

shush.....

In general they arent.

DeV.

• Advertisement

I don;t care who mods the damned thing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Carbiens

it would would have to be modded very tightly,

there's a lot of people out there who aint too happy with the whole christian scene (me being one, but i manage to keep most of my views all locked up inside where they do the most good:p )
    so this board would be fairly vulnerable to spamming/trolling and other miscillanious forms of muppetry, but if it is kept under control then i see no reason not to have a christian board.

i say give it a trial run and see how it goes.

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Originally posted by DeVore
    I'll consult the Great And Almighty Cake and see what its sponge-filled decision on this is.
    Where is this cake that you keep talking of? Is 258 the number of the cake?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Cautious vote in favour.

Without tight modding it won't work.

(personally as a well known "don't know veering towards no" on the religious front it's not my kind of thing but give it a whirl & see)

(if anyone talks real crap I'll come bouncing in (in a nice way))

Erm.. How about you make it like the CS board was for a while there, like you have to be "granted" the right to post in it, that way we can slap the ban hammer on people who abuse it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Gordon's a bit funny in the head, and wears a man-skirt sometimes.

Carbine: I'm of the impression that the GLB forum hasn't gone the way many claimed it would. I don't know if this is due to extreme moderating or just not having the "huhu, fags!" type of crap come there in the first place. If Shinji, Swiss and Yellum can succeed, I don't see why this board can't.

Besides, it would be a good place to have discussions that you can't have on any other board; which pretty much require you to be a Christian to have. For example, where on Boards.ie can one discuss the Christian response to sexuality (a much misunderstood topic, particularly with us Christians :) )?

Originally posted by Gandalf/Sean
    Erm.. How about you make it like the CS board was for a while there, like you have to be "granted" the right to post in it, that way we can slap the ban hammer on people who abuse it....
    I wouldn't do it that way - best to let anyone post on it. Besides, mods can ban muppets on their board no matter what way it's set up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by JustHalf
    If Shinji, Swiss and Yellum can succeed, I don't see why this board can't.

It wasn't due to our modding. It was sue to the maturity of the posters. Some eejits did post silly things but it wasn't serious.

We have to consider something else:

This will set precedent. I mean, one forum (paganism) can be overlooked, two will a trend and *not* granting 3,4 and 5 will be seen as bigotry.
    We may well end up with a number of religious forums under Society >> World Religions >> <list>.

That may not be a bad thing (I do like other cultures and religion is part of culture) but its something to consider too.

DeV.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Originally posted by DeVore
    This will set precedent. I mean, one forum (paganism) can be overlooked, two will a trend and *not* granting 3,4 and 5 will be seen as bigotry.
    We may well end up with a number of religious forums under Society >> World Religions >> <list>.

With that in mind ...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89085

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Hmmm, this request is a little different though - more a community request (hint)

Broad religious discussion still belongs in Humanities until (if) it can support its own board imho.

Think we should defer to the boards gods (pun not too intended) on this one - the possibility of every little sect bounding along looking for equivalency is a consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

right, I had an arguement with this guy only this morn on IRC.

He may indeed be sincere bout the whole idea, but he doesnt want it to be mixed with other religions.

I was trying to speak to him from the point of view that i had, i made a mistake in requesting the star wars forum, or well, agreeing to it, i thought it would be a whole lot busier, but its not, and really coulda stayed in sci/fi.

I think the best solution, is to leave paganism where it is and incorperate all the religions into one forum, this aint like languages. its religion in general.
    this would also mean assigning less mods to look over more forums, and clustering boards. it also means alot less work for yee guys.

I wouldnt mind seeing it work out, I know there has been one or two religious questions on the P.I boards.

Best of Luck

Doodee

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I don't know if this is due to extreme moderating or just not having the "huhu, fags!" type of crap come there in the first place.
    I think the problem is they can't find it or if they do, they don't know what it is.

Originally posted by Doodee
    He may indeed be sincere bout the whole idea, but he doesnt want it to be mixed with other religions.

I think the best solution, is to leave paganism where it is and incorperate all the religions into one forum, this aint like languages. its religion in general.
    this would also mean assigning less mods to look over more forums, and clustering boards. it also means alot less work for yee guys.
    What's the point in a general "religion" forum anyway? There's already Humanities, which seems to have that covered (quite a few general "religion" posts there... remember DeVore's "God, Science and The Clock" thread there, and how well suited it was for that forum?)

It is a pity that it truly is like languages. Religions differ on so many levels... you can't expect a Buddhist and a Christian to agree on even the very basics of their faith, so how is one expected to have a discussion from the Christian only perspective?

If a Christian were to respond to a request for help with:
    Have you prayed to God about it?
    or suggest a bible passage on a general religion board, I believe there is a significant chance of inter-belief conflict of opinions. If the person who is actually asking the question is a Christian, this will be entirely useless to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If a Christian were to respond to a request for help with:

or suggest a bible passage on a general religion board, I believe there is a significant chance of inter-belief conflict of opinions. If the person who is actually asking the question is a Christian, this will be entirely useless to them.
    In part this is covered by the prosletysing clause, but at the same time I don't think I would be overly offended if someone quoted a piece of Islamic or Buddhist writing to me (assuming it wasn't completely over the top).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Carbiens

Gordon's a bit funny in the head, and wears a man-skirt sometimes.

Carbine: I'm of the impression that the GLB forum hasn't gone the way many claimed it would. I don't know if this is due to extreme moderating or just not having the "huhu, fags!" type of crap come there in the first place. If Shinji, Swiss and Yellum can succeed, I don't see why this board can't.

Besides, it would be a good place to have discussions that you can't have on any other board; which pretty much require you to be a Christian to have. For example, where on Boards.ie can one discuss the Christian response to sexuality (a much misunderstood topic, particularly with us Christians :) )?

am...i think you missunderstood me JustHalf, i gave this idea a thumbs up, and in i way you kinda agreed with what i said.

btw, the GLB is a perfect example of how this board should be looked after n1

and just for the simple fact that ive only just seen it im going to stick a ninja smiley in here too :ninja: hehe that rocks:p

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Doodee, I would like to point out that Christianity cover a pretty fecking large propotion of world religions.

I support this board:

A) I enjoy debates and/or arguements on the various aspects of (in my case) Catholicism.

B) The lack of people who have a faith these days astounds me.

C) It could help people to see if their beliefs are in accordance with Christianity, if they really do have Christian beliefs.

I may have to edit his because I forgot an important point I had from reading the first page...

[edit] I remembered :D, banning Guest accounts on the forum would be an easier way of moderating it. It would ensure that anyone who just idly wanted to rant would have to go to the trouble of signing up if they wanted to post.

Very few people would put the effort into that if they were just going to be banned.

Advertisement