Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

May we please.....

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by DeVore
    (on the other hand people shouldn't force their religious beliefs into schools to be taught as curriculum).

DeV.

So says the lord almighty god. Do you even know what your talking about anymore? Religious education is the subject thought now, Catholic education when out the door over 6 years ago,even in most cbs schools. In RE you learn allot of useless ****e, most of which has nothing to do with any religion.

Btw i support this idea, once people with contrasting opinions can express them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i probably wouldnt go to it but i dont see the problem with it. i'm not trying to be a smasrt a$$ but what would u talk about? - bible verses? personal religious revalations? what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

It would probably used for talking about Christian problems, and ideas relevant to Christianity.

There's a whole range of topics which Christians try and find the "Christian response" to. There are things which Christians believe one thing which is completely unsupportable by scripture. Then there are those things which people believe there is a Christian response to, when there isn't one at all (is lasagne the best food, for example).

Then there is the Christian community things. What our churches are up to. And Bible study.

I think the reason you don't know what we'd talk about is that you're not one of us! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by JustHalf
    It would probably used for talking about Christian problems, and ideas relevant to Christianity.
    But surely the answer/response to every question/problem would be:
    Have you prayed to God about it?

:)

Eh... If enough people supported it; fine but I don't think enough have in this thread. Most of the replies have been "I won't use it but let them have it".

Which also happens to be my attitude towards it :]

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

That would be an ecumenical matter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

I would use it and I think if it is moderated well, it could be a way for alot of the Dublin students who are Christians to communicate to each other about what they are doing on their campuses. This is a service that I have thought would be useful for a long time and it could definitely sustain itself nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

Originally posted by pickarooney
    That would be an ecumenical matter.
    yes.

i think that we should give it a whirl. But it'll be contentious as hell (pun intened) + mods will have their work cut out for them. Lots of people have a personal gripe against the irish catholic church in particular so they'll be bringing that to the board.

it might be the start of evil cults using boards to recruit though :)

/edit: stupid link

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

I think we should all just hug each other even muslims.

wonder was that a politically correct thing to say?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Originally posted by yossarin

it might be the start of evil cults using boards to recruit though :)

*cough* my nick *cough* ;).

Nah, I reckon this could be well moderated, need a few lads tho...

(My nickname insinuates no connection with any form of cult, the only "cult" that I am a member of is Catholicism)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I don't see a problem with this forum. There should still be the rule of actually having people to post in the forum instead of just asking for the forum for the sake of it.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I think we'll probably give it a shot as a community forum. This is one I'm going to talk to the other admins about to see how we feel about it.

Can everyone who WOULD USE the forum make their voice heard here please (JH et al, its ok to herd people to this thread to have them vote if they GENUINELY will use the forum. Remember, lies make baby Jesus cry... sorry, couldnt resist :) )

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

For example, where on Boards.ie can one discuss the Christian response to sexuality

Er, the GLB board? :)

I'm still not entirely sure what you'd discuss on a Christian board that doesn't belong on Humanities, but I'm certainly not opposed to the idea - as long as it doesn't become the kind of internalised patting each other on the back affair I think some people feared GLB would become.

I'm an athiest personally but I have a fascination with religion and a fairly wide knowledge of the bible, and I'd like to think I could enjoy debates on such a board. Even though I'm going to hell. For too many reasons to list :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Hmm... well when i was directed to the thread i was against it (depsite being a practicing catholic), but... as i read the posts and stuff i kinda realised that _I_ would actually use it, there's some relgious stuff which is very belief orientated which i wouldnt be able to discuss on humanities, i mean i've had hour long discussions with various priests and stuff (due to my family having a long history of working with them), and i think it'd be a great idea.

Thumbs up, but definitely a community, religions in general fall under humanities but specific groups who want to interdiscuss stuff do need someone new.

I mean what does CTYI do that afterhours doesnt? :) And can you imagine the uproar that would happen if they posted everything they say in After Hours.... /me rofls just thinking of it....

<< Fio >>

Originally posted by DeVore
    Can everyone who WOULD USE the forum make their voice heard here please (JH et al, its ok to herd people to this thread to have them vote if they GENUINELY will use the forum. Remember, lies make baby Jesus cry... sorry, couldnt resist :) )
    I would certainly use the forum.
    Originally posted by Shinji
    I'm still not entirely sure what you'd discuss on a Christian board that doesn't belong on Humanities, but I'm certainly not opposed to the idea - as long as it doesn't become the kind of internalised patting each other on the back affair I think some people feared GLB would become.
    I had the same view of the GLB forum, but that panned out. I couldn't see the point, but being outside of that group I didn't understand.
    Originally posted by Shinji
    I'm an athiest personally but I have a fascination with religion and a fairly wide knowledge of the bible, and I'd like to think I could enjoy debates on such a board. Even though I'm going to hell. For too many reasons to list :)
    I'm sure you'll be welcome. As long as you don't start making arguments along the lines of "There is no God so therefore..." there shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Originally posted by smiles
    I mean what does CTYI do that afterhours doesnt? :) And can you imagine the uproar that would happen if they posted everything they say in After Hours.... /me rofls just thinking of it....
    That would be hilarious! You'd have to go through several hundred "WTF?"s to get to the second post in a thread, though.

Originally posted by smiles

Thumbs up, but definitely a community, religions in general fall under humanities but specific groups who want to interdiscuss stuff do need someone new.

One word. Paganism.

Plus I would use this board :D. I think I've made my reasons clear in previous posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

I'm afraid I glanced over most of the replies, so forgive me if this has already been suggested.

Why don't you create a "theist" or "religion" board, where people can discuss the impact and ramifications of *all* of the worlds major religions. That way, you don't have to leave yourself open to allegations of bigotry should you decide not to set up a board for every religious belief that prevails on the internet and in real life (tm).

I'm pretty sure religion is of major interest to many people. I am an atheist myself, but I would like to engage in some discussions pertaining to the bible and faith systems in general. Granted, some of my viewpoints would probably be based on what I perceive to be incongruous or hypocritical (in my view) points raised by those belief systems, but I hope that they would be not be considered to be 'flames' or that I do not respect the individual beliefs and faith systems held by other boards members.

I'm pretty sure JustHalf would do well as mod. I don't know enough about Gandalf/Sean to comment, although I'm pretty sure that the whole rule about people who suggest boards not being allowed to mod them was to stop muppets from suggesting boards just to be a mod. This is apparantly not the case here.

The problems with a generalised "Theist" or "Religion" board are few in number but great in importance.

First of all, one such forum already exists. Humanities has received a fair amount of traffic with regards to religion in general. DeVore's uber-rant about The Clock and The Clockmaker fitted very well there. Would not the next such thread fit there too?

Second of all, a general religion forum removes the foundations of certain discussions. Though a Christian, a Muslim, a Jew and an atheist can sit down at a table and discuss faith in the general sense, they cannot discuss their faith for they lack that common ground. It is this that the board should support. There a things that Christians can discuss amongst themselves that other people cannot discuss, in the same way rock-climbers and sewage-workers can discuss things that no-one else can.

Thirdly, there's a lot of Christians out there that don't know how many born-again Christians there are. Gandalf/Sean here thought he was the only one on boards! :) Knowing you're not the only one can force a wonderful shift in your point of view.

You have a way with words JustHalf... got my vote ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I might use it, but you know I post on a huge number of boards anyway .... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

B) The lack of people who have a faith these days astounds me.

It astounds me the number of people who still have a need for a faith these days. But I do think that a general theology board is better than dogma-specific ones. But what do I care I'll only be.. uuh.. not posting anyway. I swear I won't use it for humerous purposes like I do some of the other boards. *cough* pi *cough*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Christianity board:
    Great idea.

General religion board:
    Great idea too, but a very different idea, and one that for now is catered for adequately by the humanities board.

As for who would use it, I've quite an academic interest in Christianity (ironicly perhaps, as soon as I stopped believing in it I began to find it interesting) so I might use it if such non-believing interest was welcome. (I used to be a regular on dalnet's #christian once upon a time).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Despite already canvassing DeVore for a role as mod, I didn't even know this debate was going on till five minutes ago when Fio pointed it out to me...:)

I would certainly use it. May I say, it's encouraging to see so much support for it!

The Maynooth Christian Union site could link to it and that would give it lots of traffic. As Excelsior pointed out, there's a large community of Christian students all part of IFES (the International Fellowship of Evangelical Students) who could get together and discuss a whole array of interesting Christian-related topics, alongside non-believers in a (hopefully) positive environment. Sounds great to me. Plus there are a bunch of BACs (born again Christians) on boards.ie already - some closeted, some out, and it would be cool to convene here.

Put on your flame-retardant outfits! Heated debate ahoy! (Shinji, ready for some fisticuffs?:))

As you can see, it's up

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by JustHalf
    As you can see, it's up
    =

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=333

Does this mean it's only half evil?

Advertisement