Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxing

Options
  • 07-04-2003 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

Anyone here doing it, im thinking of taking it up to get back in shape. whats it like, hard to pick up ? do ya need to really watch your weight and fitness ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

I haven't boxed, but certainly have used plenty of boxing exercises and techniques in my training. Like any form of physical training, it will keep you in shape. From what I know, and I stress I'm no boxer, it wouldn't be difficult to pick up, but will be hard work: you'll have to put in the time to get results. As for watching your weight and fitness, well, how serious do you want to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

Well id like to get serious enough at it to be able to handle myself in a spot of bother, mainly its for fitness, when it comes to training i need new things to keep me interested cos i just get bored with it. Also smacking the head off someone would be classic. :D

You talking to me, you talking to me ?, well im the only one here so you must be talking to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

It isn't hard to pick up, boxing in one sense is simplicity itself in terms of the moves available to you etc, it is only in stringing them together that you might become confused/disorientated :)

It is tough. I can't speak for all gyms/trainers but I know mine have expected me to come regularly and thus progress, rather than pop in now and again.

Anyway, one you get past the initial trauma of getting reasonably fit it will be in your own personal interest to keep it up as you won't want to go through that again. Your weight shouldn't really be an issue, get fit and well and see how much you weigh first. Then have a look at the divisions and see where you fit in, if you're unhappy, then consider losing weight. Does your weight fluctuate a lot in general? Bear in mind that your weight is only a concern if you want to fight competitively, otherwise it's your own business.

Your boxing experience will vary hugely according to the gym you frequent. Some coaches will have a very hands off approach with adults unless asked or unless they see something blatantly awful happening. Don't be afraid to ask for advice and to get someone to work the pads with you, give you a taste of the game. After that you can work away at a level that suits you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭paddyc

Boxing very very good for you, only have to watch your wieght if you are gonna fight, so depending on your age !!!!!!!

look up iaba.ie for clubs, st. Saviours on Bolton st, and corinthians are very good gyms if you local and they will take you on.

paddy

Advertisement