Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Crime / Thriller / Action Books and Authors?

Options
  • 08-04-2003 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭

Topic says it all, really..... favourite thriller / crime / action novels and authors?

I like anything by Matthew Reilly, loved Rainbow 6 by Clancy, love most of Nelson De Milles stuff, I've read everything by Stephen Leather, alot of Jeffrey Deaver's stuff (Lincoln Rhyme) is great, as is James Patterson (Alex Cross, Murder Club). Nicci French's stuff is patchy, but when its good its very good.

Favourite all-time thriller writer is Lee Child - his main character Jack Reacher has been in 7 novels that are clever, action packed and alot of fun to read.

Anyone else got any favourites?

- Dave.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Nyx

I used to read Tom Clancy and Jeffrey Archer when I was about 10, cos I read anything in the house and my dad was a big fan. (but tom clancy ruined me politically, he kind of painted this v. simplistic view of a "Good American" politician, govt. employee etc, took years for me to realise they weren't all like Jack Ryan)
    Thomas Harris is my favorite "psycho" author, i kinda pick an author and stick to it sometimes, not the best attitude to have really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭scipio_major

Been a big fan of James Ellroy for a while now. Can't recommend American Tabloid enough. Everything else I've read by him has also been excellent.

"Remember dear readers you heard it here first, off the record, on the QT and very hush-hush "

Classic

fade to credits
    Scipio_major

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

am not really into that Genre but I have read a few Ian Rankin books and I enjoyed them quite alot. He has a solid style and the themes aren't as repetitive as alot of authorsI have read recently.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

To echo most people, it would be the earlier books of Tom Clancy, the later ones not up to much. Someone earlier on the boards also recommended Dale Brown, and I'd now agree.
    I'll also historical whodoneit's, Brother Cadraef mysteries fit the bill nicely.
    Finally, I'm reading the entire Flashman ouvre. You'd have to be a dyed in the wool reactionary to fully enjoy them, fortunately I am :) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Dont ask me why but i started to read Crime and Punishment yesterday, so far so good.

I read this book years ago called Mamas Boy, it wasnt exactly groundbreaking literature but it was enjoyableish, he even slept with his mum and was really turned on by his work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Amnesiac_ie

The Hannibal Lector trilogy by Thomas Harris is fantastic and I rarely admit it but I'm a big Scarpetta fan (Patricia Cornwell). I've never read Tom Clancy but I used to enjoy the computer games. You know form crime/thriller you can't beat Enid Blyton!
    :D

Advertisement