Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm thinkin about buyin an xbox

Options
  • 08-04-2003 10:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hi i'm thinkin about buyin an xbox and was wondering if anybody could help me sway my decision

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

think again...get a playstation or a gamecube simple as that....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

The PS2, Gamecube and Xbox are all great! However, the Xbox is technically superior (especially over the PS2). The DVD playback is excellent! Halo and splinter cell are pretty good games, DOA3 is fun! It’s relatively expensive however, hopefully there will be some more quality titles soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

All the consoles have plus points. The Xbox is pretty cheap really because you don't need to buy a 30, 40 euro memory card like you do with the others.

I'd say forget about the technical specs. Just decide what games you want to play most because it all comes down to your tastes. All three have alot of unique and excellent games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 not a sausage

I already have a ps2 , i really only want to buy the xbox for the advanced engine, i hate the feck!n gamecube, the control really p!sses me off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

well i think you have your answer there so if you have a playstation, you hate the gamecube and you want the xbox.....then go get one.......however as blitz molloy said see what games you like and go from there....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭s8n

had a ps2, after long debating (the thread is here somewhere) I swapped for xbox. Honestly I have'nt looked back, the xbox is far superior the graphics are breathtaking (seriously, the xbox version of splinter cell is awesome), dvd playback is crystal clear and there are more and more games coming out for it.

to be completely honest the only reason i'm getting it is to play splinter cell, i played at my mates gaff and the graphics blew me away.. the other titles look fairly sh!tty tho, are there any other games worth lookin at, i know halo is supposed to be good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭s8n

halo, segagt, metal gear solid, indiana jones to name a few

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

Nein den sauerkraut: If you're only getting an X-Box to play Splinter Cell on, then you should really consider the Gamecube. SC will be out for that sometime - here's GameSpy's review of the GC version:

93% = "Outstanding"

Apparently the Cube's controller is very well suited to the game, not to mention the GBA connectivity.

Also, there's an wide range of enjoyable quality titles that aren't kiddie in the least (Eternal Darkness, TimeSplitters 2, RE).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

panzer dragoon orta...

also over on bluesnews they were talking about doom3 being on it (with a pinch of salt), but could be a real "killer app" if they got it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 BOP

Why not check out the top games for each console? Here's IGN's top games for each one

http://cube.ign.com/scores_9.html?fromint=1
    http://ps2.ign.com/scores_9.html?fromint=1
    http://xbox.ign.com/scores_9.html?fromint=1

At least they're independent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

IGN are ****e. As much as I like Nintendo games they give them 9.5+ as a matter of course. The games are good but they aren't that good.

Splinter Cell isn't that hot really. It's very linear. I'd just borrow it for a while because you wouldn't keep playing it after a month or two.

Now Halo, Panzer Dragoon Orta and the upcoming Outrun 2 and Virtua Cop 3 are the reasons I'd buy a box.

I'm getting a cube next though. I want to play Monkey Ball, Zelda, Metroid and FZero.

Heh.. and I'll be keeping my PS2 for all the wierd games, obscure Jap games, fighters, dirt cheap 2nd hand games etc.

It's a win-win situation whatever machine you buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 DCULLY666

Ive said this before in a previous thread,i know atleast 10 guys who were huge xbox fanboys but are eally pissed off when they go into games stores to see the same muck occupying the top 10 slots.
    One guy in particular had some sort of vandetta against the PS2 selling his one off and then branding it the piss-station.
    3 weeks ago he bought a new piss-station for its great games.
    NUFF SAID!!!!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

I have all three consoles so I can probably give a somewhat objective viewpoint. I have listed them in order of my own usage:
    1. GameCube.
    The best of them all. Gets by far and away the most use and has the highest number of quality games.
    Personal fave games atm are: Metroid Prime, Sonic Mega Collection, Super Monkey Ball 1+2, Resident Evil, Eternal Darkness, Mario Sunshine and Super Smash Brothers Melee.

2. Xbox.
    Great console and will probably see a ten fold increase in use once I get Xbox Live.
    Games I'm playing atm: Shenmue 2, Halo, Project Gotham Racing, Splinter Cell, Rocky and Max Payne.

3. PS2.
    Isn't actually mine but it's in my room. Don't really use it much and I find the bloody load times next to unbearable.
    Currently playing: Vice City. That's it, no more, nada nothing.

Um so yeah well draw whatever conclusions you want from that I guess. I'd go for the GameCube above the other two but if you want to get into online gaming go for the Xbox purely for the prospect of Galaxies.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

if you dont have a dvd player and want one aswell as games get a ps2...if u want it purely for games go for GC imo...beter games !

I don't think that dvds and games consoles should ever have been merged the way they have been. God knows what other gubbins we're going to get with the next batch of consoles. At least Nintendo realise that people buy consoles for one thing only, to play mighty fine games.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Don't buy any console until it has games you MUST have and take into consideration all reviews and viewpoints you've heard about these games, one bad review should make you think hard. If it doesn't have any games you feel you must have then you'll probably end up fairly dissapointed.

If you are prepared to wait then its a clear winner. The console has games you care about and its usually cheaper. Plus you have a back catelogue of "good" games to pick over.

Playstation 2: had to buy it for gta. Pro evolution the bonus (ended up being the best thing ever). Follow ups to both pro evolution and gta another bonus. MGS a decent game. Ico and rez on "must buy" list.

Gamecube: had to buy it for zelda (or in time for). Super mario sunshine and super monkey ball bonus. Metriod prime early days, might grow on me. Future must buys: apart from zelda, dunno much else coming out, zelda is more than enough to satisfy the purchase.

Xbox: can't see a must have :/ Halo doesn't interest, splinter cell looks tedious. Shenmue 2 maybe?

Next console: Gba sp, for zelda: four swords and mario advance 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 BOP

:D:D:D Off thread a bit, but just had to say a big thanks to Sloth for recommending Super Monkey Ball 1 before I bought 2. Picked it up brand new for E30. What a wonderfull game! a drunken session of 4 player monkey fight is what gaming is all about. Monkey Target is best left to sober times. I'm stuck on level 7 on Expert, Fall out, Fall out, Fall out,Fall out..... Arrrggghhhhhhh:D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Is it just me or is this board turning into a nest of nintendo fan boism. Where's Shinji and his stick when you need him? From what you've said I think the X-box is the best console for you. If you've already tried the GC controller and don't like it then its just going to frustrate the feck out of you no matter how good the 3 games for it are. Having said that considering that you already have a ps2 I don't really see the point in getting an X-box. SplinterCell is already on the PC, PS2 and soon to be on the GC. Halo is coming on the PC soon to if its not already out I think. If you were to buy a Gamecube and maybe got a 3rd party controller that suits you better (not too sure if there are any out) then I think you'd get a lot more value for your money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 altered_relic

i recentely started another thread wondering if i shold go for the ps2 or GC and frankley all i can see is that the CG wins hands down. I dont need the dvd capabilites or even want them- its why ive got a dvd - rom on my pc!!! but all in all i think that the CG is going to go from strenght to strenght
    (oh and its nintendo!!!!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Check out which games they have yourself, and see which you prefer. Don't let any fanboys change your opinion otherwise. Buy what you want to play, not what others do.

I used to use the Xbox more, but lately the Cube has taken over (Metroid Prime, Res Evil 0, Animal Crossing). But with the DVD playback (and mod chip) the Xbox still gets used the most. Still don't like the Cube controller though :(

thanks lads ye've been helpful.. i think i'm gonna go ahead and get the xbox, ditto with the gc controller, what a pain in the nuts, the thumb thingys are too small :eek:

Originally posted by BOP
    :D:D:D Off thread a bit, but just had to say a big thanks to Sloth for recommending Super Monkey Ball 1 before I bought 2. Picked it up brand new for E30. What a wonderfull game! a drunken session of 4 player monkey fight is what gaming is all about. Monkey Target is best left to sober times. I'm stuck on level 7 on Expert, Fall out, Fall out, Fall out,Fall out..... Arrrggghhhhhhh:D :D

Hehe nps, Level 7 will get you every time. Further horrors await you in the world of expert though but keep practising those monkey skills and soon you will become a monkey ball sensi as I have become. Oh and make sure you absolutely play the first one to death before you get the second one and yes that means getting past level 7 :D

As for the GC controller it tends to be a love/hate thing. I absolutely love the damn thing and think it's the greatest thing to ever have been fashioned out of plastic but yeah I can see where most of the criticism comes from.
    Oh and when you get the Xbox make sure you pick up a copy of both Splinter Cell and Halo with it otherwise you can't really call yourself an Xbox owner ;) and with Xbox you also have this to look forward to (Live will probably cause the Xbox to fly ahead of the other two in terms of usage for me at least):
    http://www.xbox.com/live/tour/exp-1stpage.htm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well enjoyyour dull xbox. Halo is half a great game and splinter cell is great for a while until it gets samey. Other than that there isn't anything decent on it that isn't already on the the PS2 or GC.

Personally I would go for a PS2 and get a Gamecube if you can afford a second console. The PS2 definitely has the most quality games but then again it is worth the price of the gamecube just for Metroid Prime, Mario Sunshine and Zelda. And if you thought the wonderful GC controller was uncomfortable wait til you try the xbox one. It's like using a concrete brick.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

the gamecube controller is great. Apart from the z button, which is the most stupidest button placement ever.

xbox controller is much better for fps tho, the joysticks are easier to use imo. Thats the hulk controller btw (have big hands here ;))

gonna get an -s one just to have the option.

Have you seen the placement of the start/back black/white buttons on the S version? Ghastly, absolutely ghastly.
    I don't think theres anything wrong with the original version, I mean people bitch about it because it's big but just because it's big doesn't mean it's uncomfortable to hold. I might get the S just for Shenmue 2 though, that manky d-pad just doesn't cut the shenmue mustard. Oh and the Xbox has the best vibration EVER Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Firefox

This is true about the Xbox Controller. Thing really does vibrate quite strongly and makes alot of noise.

In a good way though of course. Haven't tried the Controller S but then I already have the standard number of controllers that most people have ie 2. How much can you pick the S up for?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The vibration is the best atm but nothing can beat the bone shattering vibration of the N64 rumble pak. It's a shame that it needed extra batteries.

• Advertisement

Oh god yeah, I'll never forget the time I weld twin RPC 90s in Goldeneye and just held down the trigger. My hands still shake sometimes as a result.

Advertisement