Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US targets Arab Sat Networks

Options
  • 08-04-2003 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

In a stunning co-incidence, Abu Dhabi TV and Al-Arabiya and Al-Jazeera had their Baghdad HQ's (in separate buildings) undergo targeting and attack by the US today. RTE reports casualties from al-Jazeera.

The next time there is a war, make sure ye are based right beside Fox and CNN lads.

M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Indeed, a stunning co-incidence.

Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I saw an interview with a journalist from Al-Jazeera a couple of weeks back (don't have a link now), but I got the impression from some of the things he said that they were expecting something like this to happen to them, as had previously happened in Afghanistan.
    Good job the US/UK are out there fighting for democracy, civil liberties and freedom of speech eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Apparently Al-Jazeera were careful to supply the US military with the exact co-ordinates of their Baghdad office, hoping to avoid a repeat of the Kabul 'incident'. This may not have been the brilliant idea it seemed at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Ahh its ok lads the US are not being biased in any way here they just shelled the Palastine Hotel which is the base for Western Reporters and killed a Reuters Cameraman and injured 3 of his colleagues :rolleyes:

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by gandalf
    Ahh its ok lads the US are not being biased in any way here they just shelled the Palastine Hotel which is the base for Western Reporters and killed a Reuters Cameraman and injured 3 of his colleagues :rolleyes:

Gandalf.

Is it just me, or does the USAF seem to be more of a danger to everyone EXCEPT enemy soldiers? :rolleyes:

Reminds me of a joke .....

"Q: What's the difference between a British & an Iraqi soldier?"

"A: Don't know"

"Welcome to the US Air-Force"

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Lemming
    Is it just me, or does the USAF seem to be more of a danger to everyone EXCEPT enemy soldiers? :rolleyes:

It's you. I'd say so far they've killed more enemy soldiers than civilians and friendly troops combined.
    Ahh its ok lads the US are not being biased in any way here they just shelled the Palastine Hotel which is the base for Western Reporters and killed a Reuters Cameraman and injured 3 of his colleagues

Gandalf.

The New York Times says that the Iraqis were using the area around the Palestine Hotel for firing positions. Makes perfect sense as long as you assume the US will do anything to avoid journalists in the line of fire. Maybe the Yanks are finally fed up with people taking them for granted ;) To be honest I think the journos in the hotel have less cause to complain than Al Jazeera.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well according to Sky News no one was firing from the hotel. Ah well the Yanks are even shooting their good english buddies so a few scrounging journalists are fair game I suppose.

Gandalf.

(Oh Lemming love the joke btw :p)

Well according to Sky News no one was firing from the hotel. Ah well the Yanks are even shooting their good english buddies so a few scrounging journalists are fair game I suppose.

Gandalf.

(Oh Lemming love the joke btw :p)

Yeah, I've just been reading a bit more about it and apparently the shell hit on the fifteenth floor, so if there really was nobody firing from the hotel that's some "accident".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

Yes that sky news guy seems to be very shaken after what he described as blood and bone in all directions. I think it shows great cowardice on the US forces if they have to resort to wiping out news coverage east of the Tigris to "win" this war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

The US dropped a number of cluster bombs (precision weaponry of course) on RTÉ's very own Richard Downes when he was trying to leave Baghdad on Sunday.

Regrettably, Cluster Bombs do not work very well in Residential areas as they tend to be operationally degraded by ambient conditions such as children and parked cars so the jammy bastard escaped. Next time please get him in the desert lads....cluster bombs work well there.

The brave Charlie Bird, the source of the most irrelevant and facetious 'war' reporting in the whole western world for the past 3 weeks has moved AWAY from the front and is now in Qatar.....well south of Kuwait. The US would take a benign view of Chgarlie and his antics were he to enter Iraq.....unless he had Richards pager in his pocket at the time :D

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

On that note, one of the news channels (skynews or someone - can't rightly remember. Maybe the Beeb) recently had a report on the fact that British troops were ordering Union Jack flags by the boat-load over the internet to stick on their vehicles and outposts, etc to help stop the USAF shooting at them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Kill them all, God will know his own... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Lemming
    On that note, one of the news channels (skynews or someone - can't rightly remember. Maybe the Beeb) recently had a report on the fact that British troops were ordering Union Jack flags by the boat-load over the internet to stick on their vehicles and outposts, etc to help stop the USAF shooting at them
    Actually in the first few days they had a day-glow orange piece of cloth at the back of their vehicles as an "invasion stripe" (during D-Day all allied aircraft had 3 black stripes on each wing to stop trigger happy ships and soldiers from shooting at them).

Advertisement