Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what do you do when your down?

• 08-04-2003 11:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Lately I feel like crap .. I have a loving girl friend who I deeply love, but just have not showed it .. I try but I can't. The last time I was out I got talking to a stranger (as my friend was with her friend) and it made me feel so good that some-one showed an interest in me, and actually listened to me, she wanted to take it futher than talking, but I told her i had a g-f etc. when I was saying goodbye to her she gave me her name and number on a card, and said she was going home and if I change my mind etc ring her. I tore off the number(so I wouldnt ring) and just keep the name .. sometimes I look at the name just to cheer me up.

It think it has been work that has got me down, as I couldn't get a job that I wanted when I graduated. Instead I took a job with a friends dad.
    I work in a manuafacturing company. I work in the IT section.

One big problem is that the manual workers dont like the office workers. Even though I tried to talk to a few people nobody ever made me feel welcome
    when I was young I was very shy, I just didn't have the confidence to talk to ppl .. mainly cause I had bad acne, and always felt bad about myself.
    When I got to college I was a different person, I was full of confidence and really happy with my life etc. People used to tell me how different I was and it is great to see me in such great form etc.

at the moment I don't really talk to alot of people in work, and people look at me and think I am arogant. At the x-mas party one guy said "You don't talk to anyone except the office ppl, just because you went to college doesn't mean your better
    than the rest of us" That type of thing. One problem here is that other people in teh office go on the floor alot, but I rarely ever go as my job doesn't really require me to.

I have drifted away gradually from my home friends as some of them are into E and go out to clubs to take it, and I dont really wanna do that sort of thing myself.

I thought I had two colleagues that I would called friends ( I used to get a lift off them home ) but I have found out they dont really like me, and this really got to me.

I have just been so depressed latly I dont know what to do .. I don't really want to take pills etc.

I know I should leave work and find something I like, but there isn't really that much work out there (in IT) for grad's. And I dont want to leave to get a bum job etc.

so I was just wondering if people have any thing that would cheer me up and raise my confidence level.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

Originally posted by fairly_sad
    I have drifted away gradually from my home friends as some of them are into E and go out to clubs to take it, and I dont really wanna do that sort of thing myself.
    I have just been so depressed latly I dont know what to do .. I don't really want to take pills etc.

i have plenty of friends who arent into that shiit and me and the rest of my mates always make them welcome...its not an exclusive club, just cuz you dont do it doesnt mean you cant hang out with those who do, get stoned* get drunk, do whatever you normally do with them, you dont have to take anything to hang out with them they are your friends.....i know two lads who felt like that and for a few months they didnt hang out with us...then we made them come out with us and have a laugh and thats what they did..they had a laugh and they didnt take anything........

if however youre friends are telling to fuk off unless you take sth...if thats the case then your better off without them.....otherwise its all in your head as i said before you dont have to take sth to have fun with those who do!

i cant really help with the rest of your troubles, but i hope this helps............ and if you dont ever want to take sth than dont, you should never feel under pressure to take sth cuz your friends do ok!

* i do not condone drug abuse in anyform or manner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

One thing you could do is come to a boards bash. Theres a queer beers the weekend of the 12th however it's not limited to the gay community. Take my word for it, everyone is glad to see a new face and we'll make sure you're spoken to. You might even get your head licked :D

As to the work stuff, move jobs if you can. I am in the game myself and know that the IT industry is in the crapper. I for one am in a crap work situation. While it might suit some being bored out of my head all day every day for the last 12 months doesnt suit me but there's not a lot that I can move onto for the time being. One thing you could try is save some hard cash and fúck off for a while. Force yourself into the situation that, well your on your own and if you want to speak to someone you have to go and talk to them. A mate went out to Australia a couple of weeks back, and while he isn't the best social integrator on the planet, he is having a ball. He said people keep coming up to him and going on the large with him, so why not give it a whirl.

K-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

When im down i stick out my tongue and hope for the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I have been known to get pissed pissed pissed drunk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Ms Taken

I think what is making you really unhappy is your job so its time to start searching for a new one. Its up to you to make yourself happy don't just sit around and feel sorry for yourself get off your back side amd change it!

Hope you feel better soon, i know what its like to feel depressed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Originally posted by fairly_sad

I know I should leave work and find something I like, but there isn't really that much work out there (in IT) for grad's. And I dont want to leave to get a bum job etc.

Ah u'll never get reach working for someone else - If I were you and you have the IT skills start something yourself. A group of friends and I (Aged 16) set up this website http://www.kerrypages.com and now we making great money from it. We even got our own premises! and all this just happened in the last 3 months.

My advice don't be scared of setting up your own company, just go for it, what have you to lose? You don't even need much money to do it. Just start something small and work up

I know its hard to take advice from a 16 year old but thought i would offer it to you anywayz

talk later man

./Webmonkey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

When I get pissed off with all which happens quiet frequently lately lol I find that a few hours of Fawlty Towers episodes and listen to the Bonzo Dog Band does the trick, bloody hilarious the lot of them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

usually either of 4 things....
    1 Drink alot of beer with mates
    2 drink alot of beer at the house
    3 shag like a bunny until i sleep
    4 wallow in self pity in bed with TV on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Well I always make sure my jaw is up to before I even begin, they hate it when you stop half-way through and you'll get no sympathy complaining of jaw ache.......

...... oh wait. I think I may have read the subject line wrong.

(nevermind)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

-Do not do drugs to cheer yourself up!!!

-Do not drink to cheer yourself up!!!

Anyone that makes out that doing either of these 2 will help in the long term, is a complete idiot!

It sounds to me that you’re putting your job before you! Remember your job is just that... a job! Life is too short to spend hours somewhere you don’t like to be. Try to find a job that where you will be in an environment that you like. If that means taking a pay cut... who cares. All you need is a few quid to get you through enjoying your week/month/year/life! If it means swapping industries... who cares? Get something where you like the people and you enjoy being there!

If you have drifted away from your friends because they are into a scene you don’t like, that’s no big deal. Keeping in touch with them from time to time doesn’t mean you have to get into their scene. But do keep in touch with them, you did consider them friends after all.

Ever think about going back to college? It sounds like you enjoyed yourself while you were there. It's also a great place to meet other people your age group with similar interests.

Cheer up, make some changes and stop feeling sorry for yourself. No offence meant.

Its your life and the ball is in your court... for the whole game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

If it's a case that you know you get down a lot for apparently no major reason ie. you dont sound too sure exactly why your down, maybe you just need to talk to someone with more experience in this?
    It seems you have quite a bit going for you- your girlfriend, you have a job , a qualification. I reckon it's pretty normal to feel as you do, when you realise college is over and that this is it for now! -you've entered a new stage.......you just need a bit of time to adjust.
    With regard to friends, when you stop worrying, you'll realise they just turn up!
    In my experience these things just bog you down till all you can see are the problems..... try to imagine someone you know telling YOU the same problems. From there if you can imagine the advice you'd give THEM, maybe you'll see a bit clearer!
    Finally, it's worth mentioning that in time you'll look back and laugh at how you felt for a while 'back then'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

Originally posted by me-101
    -Do not do drugs to cheer yourself up!!!

-Do not drink to cheer yourself up!!!

Drink and drugs aren't the answer.

but they do provide a temporary respite from the questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Chucky

- Play your favourite song and sing along to it

- Exercise

- Call / text a close friend that knows you get lonely and understands this, and then wallow in their pity

- Call / text a friend that you know has a bubbly personality and can put a smile on your face no matter what they say

- Drink Water

- Go for a long walk

- Go onto the internet

Those are some of the bizarre things i do when im feeling down (which is a lot of the time). If all else fails, Id just end up doing something damaging to myself mentally.

As a result, I try to make sure I have things to do all the time so as not to think about how crap life can be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

plAY computer games, read and write , go for a shopping frenzy
    go out and get pissed..etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭evie

Sometimes it's good to cut loose and I would recommend it to anyone. However, there is a downside of that God awful hangover in the morning.

Do something different, take a holiday or a weekend away somewhere where nobody knows you. I find that time out really helps. It gives you time to get some perspective and prioritise.

Listen to your favourite music and set yourself up for the day, if you go in with a positive attitude, things can change!

As for the work thing, try and talk to some of them. If you even identify with one of them the word will spread that, hang on, you're not such a bad guy after all!

Meanwhile, don't worry, everything will work out! My mum always says, a good nights sleep can cure anything*
    :)

*Please note, my mother isn't always right, sorry

Originally posted by evie
    Listen to your favourite music and set yourself up for the day, if you go in with a positive attitude, things can change!

Thats a very good point. i find that the mood i wake up in is the mood im in for the rest of the day. So dont do anything in the morning you dont want to. If you think you will be late for the bus, just get the next one and take your time....

.....AND PLAY SOME GOOD MUSIC...LOUD! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

yeah, lately i feel like crap most of the time. i dont know what to do about it so i'm hoping it will sort itself.

Im not too sure you should just ignore it. If at the least just keep posting here to get some of it off your mind.....But ignoring it, I find, is not the way to do it. It would most likely seem to disappear for a while and then resurface at a later stage and then your stuck in a loop. Feel free to PM me if you want. Im here if you want to be listened to

Advertisement