Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics Cards and GIS software

• 08-04-2003 1:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,
    looking for some advice on graphics cards and GIS software running on intel machines.
    Does anyone use anything like this and what do they recommend,/not recommend etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

I used to work in the mapping and GIS area years ago. At that stage most work was done on Unix and VMS workstations. Software now running on Windows machines as they've become more powerful.
    Re graphics cards, no specific advice on cards. Go for one with lots of VRAM, at least 128MB. Also load up PC with minimum 512MB RAM on Win2K, or 1GB for WinXP. XP has a _hunger_ for memory. (When will M$ ever learn?) Oh yeah, maybe a vidoe card that supports dual monitors might be neat too.

As for software, you will be able to get digital maps from most Ordnance Survey organisations and private companies in ArcInfo format from ESRI
    They support vector and graphic maps. Not sure of the price, but you can check the features of the various offerings and check that for yourself.

Depending on which type of map data you're going for, you might find some features more useful. You might find support for aerial photgraphy better in one product than another and that might just swing the decision for you.

-ao-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

to be honest, i work in the seismic interpretation area, so i know all about your Sun's and your SGI type systems for high end graphical applications, but i have been asked recently about intel, and specifically windows apps.
    this would be pretty handy, perticularly withthe advent of Linux bursting onto the scene to get a handle on what these sort of apps running on an intel box need.
    i have set up and installed ArcView on a dell before, but i know nothing about how the app works unfortunately :(

Advertisement