Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord ....

Options
  • 08-04-2003 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

Just wanted to run this past a few people

Where does the girlfriend stand on this, 3 of them were living in a house, with a rent book rent was paid every 2 weeks in cash.

2 of the girls have a mutual friend and they were looking for a house together and found one, so they signed a lease in the new house and moved giving the lanlord about 16 days notice and haveing paid for these 16 days in rent.

The lanlord said they have to give a months notice or loose their rent, granted I know this is well with in his rites. So he said in order to get their deposit back a fairly substaintial sum they would have to get people in, in the middle of this the 3rd girl decided to move and was told the same.

So with the gilrs looking for people to move in... while they were still paid in rent for the rooms but moved out the lanlord starts knocking the wall down in the sitting room and putting a toilet and shower in up stairs and re painting so that in fact if people did want to move in they were faced with a bulkiding site.

The girls had several people interested but not while the house was like this... the lanlord maintains he is well with in his rites and will be keeping the deposits....

where do they stand please...

;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

You're only possible recompense is small claims court.

else tough, to be honest.

Edit: You could threaten to move out in protest.....
    Money talks in such circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Accomodation forum is more appropriate I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Afaik, legally speaking, the landlord has to give his tenants 24 hours minimum notice before entering the property.

Try contacting Threshold (http://www.threshold.ie/) to see where they stand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

My advice would be to utilise the space you have paid for 'somehow' up until the time you have paid for it.

Since I know people who are in the renting game, and I have some experience of this sort of thing, when "I" want to move house I just don't pay my last month's rent and use up my deposit in lieu of rent.....I square this with my landlord first of course.....that way it's difficult for said landlord to pull a fast one and theoretically vice-versa

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Did they sign a lease with the (now ex-) landlord (the rent book might be construed as a lease as it sets out the particulars)? If they did, it will contain the minimum notice.

If they didn't sign a lease, it is a "periodic tenancy", I understand they only have to give notice equal to the period of tenancy (in this case 2 weeks).

The landlord has to give reasonable notice to enter the premises. If the 3 of them had moved out and handed back the keys, they have given up their rights to the premises (not sure about the deposit in this case).

If they want to chase the money they can seek up to €1,269.74 in the Small Claims court

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

burn the place down, that'll learn him.....

seriously tho call threshold,

I will make it my life's quest to exact revenge on every asshole landlord that ever screwed anyone, just as soon as I'm done with eircom

Until then know your rights, If you're in college get you lazy student union to help you out.

"take no guff from these swine"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by paddyc

The girls had several people interested but not while the house was like this... the lanlord maintains he is well with in his rites and will be keeping the deposits....

Greedy scumbag, bet the asshole is a Guard and the house is in Drumcondra. I had to ' re-engineer ' ' ahem ' one of their houses once.

Take photos now, get witnesses in to see it , and then the small claims court once they are away from this prick. Revenue commissioners and his RSI number . Rent is payable every 2 weeks so they are on 2 weeks notice....as is he.

I would recommend petrol once they get their money back.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

OK guys tone it down. If they get their money there is no need for petrol. :p

But yes have your friends filled in form RENT1 from the Revenue Commissioners (tax allowance for private rented accommodation).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Victor
    OK guys tone it down. If they get their money there is no need for petrol. :p
    Indeed Victor. I myself believe in putting ten packets of jelly and two bags of sugar into a full warm bath.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Heh, now there is an interesting April fool!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

As he is using a rent book rather than a direct debit for payment Landlord is probably not declaring true income so threat of revenue commissioners allied with explanation of true legal position may bring him around to your point of view.

Advertisement