Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pepsi developing "Musicians" with Ms. Dynamitee

Options
  • 08-04-2003 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭

I read on ocenfree.net today that Pepsi is paying Ms. Dyantmite £1,000,000 to help them develop and nuture talent in the music industry as well as doing promo stuff and what not.

I was just thinking that, this is such as waste of money because Ms. Dyanamite would centre around her own expierence's and think that her genre is the most important and whatever. Obviously this is an assumption, but we all think that the music we like is the best.

I thought that giving the money to the souless marketing, corporates is much better (i.e. Louis Walsh, Pop-stars judge in UK Nigel something) because they see the music as a balance sheet. I cant believe Pepsi are doing this, it total bias, and also what does a 21 year mother to be know how to nuture bands and pick who's hot or not.

Have we ever had a successful follow up album for anyone who got the Mercury music prize!! (answers on a post card too...)

Also what are pepsi doing nuturing bands and trying to spot who is hot or not. Its all gone mad if you ask me.

Here is the article to read anyway

Pepsi signs Ms Dynamite as talent spotter
    Last updated: 08-04-03, 13:04

One of Britain's brightest new music stars, Ms Dynamite, has signed a deal to scout new music talent for drinks giant Pepsi.

The 21-year old R&B sensation has become hot property since she landed two Brit awards in February; three Music of Black Origin (MOBO) awards last October, and the Mercury Music Prize last September.

Pepsi said today that Ms Dynamite, real name Naomi McLean-Daley, would act primarily as its music consultant, helping them identify new talent as part of a drive to sponsor new music.

"Ms Dynamite will be involved in finding the individuals and will work closely with us in helping these new artists in their quest to make it within the music industry," Pepsi said in a statement.

The Sun newspaper said the deal was worth €1 million ($1.52 million).

Aside from her success in the music charts, Ms Dynamite has also taken a lead role in Britain among celebrities

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

Originally posted by Ste k
    also what does a 21 year mother to be know how to nuture bands and pick who's hot or not.
    [/B]

What the hell has that got to do with anything? Theres so much wrong with this that i dont know where to start...
    ugh so i wont.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Wools

Pepsi are paying her a million to be 'the face' of this 'search for new talent'

Given that her fanbase would be target demographic pepsi drinkers, and their interest in the project will vastly advertise pepsi, not mentioning the fact that ANYBODY who takes part in this (and their family, peers, friends and pets) will become immediately associated with pepsi, its a pretty shrewd bit of advertising......

Imagine the outcry if pepsi poured a million into underground music - "Corporate Pigs Attempt to Capitalise on Alternative Music!! For Shame.." etc etc

Another thing - if (say) Mr. Ollie Cole accepted a million blips by pepsi to scout for alternative music, he'd be portrayed as an opportunist pariah....

no?
    And nobody really cares whether she's a mammy or not

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Q: "If you have two apples and you give one away, how many apples do you have?"

A: "Pepsi?"

Partial Credit!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭artvandelay

U have to remember this company gave Britney Spear about $65 million to be the pepsi spokeperson. This shows u just how much importance Pepsi put in nuturing new music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Cozpyro

I don't see the problem. It's £1m out of Pepsi's advertising budget. Who gives a damn what way they spend it.

After all, although highly unlikely, who knows what act might benefit from this.
    Have we ever had a successful follow up album for anyone who got the Mercury music prize!! (answers on a post card too...)

Past Mercury winners

1992 Primal Scream
    1993 Suede
    1994 M People
    1995 Portishead
    1996 Pulp
    1997 Roni Size & Reprazent
    1998 Gomez
    1999 Talvin Singh
    2000 Badly Drawn Boy
    2001 PJ Harvey

I think 1 or 2 of these just might have had the odd success since Mercury.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Wools

Go pepsi!

heh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 fat toni

damn........i could really go for a pepsi right about now...

Advertisement