Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

general noob questions, maybe???

Options
  • 08-04-2003 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭

Total n00b to Q3.... I mainly play cs, anyway, I got the game and it works fine, no probs but then I deleted it.

Only recently I copied the game from someone but my sound is terrible in it, its all fuzzy and quite frankly unplayable.

I've changed my sound from low to high quality and stuff ?? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

are you using the default q3config? If not, then check the value of s_mixahead and try raising it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

tis set at .02 should I set it to a .5???

whats the best way to rocket jump (taking as little damage as possible) is it jump then when I'm about to come down fire straight down??? how much health should I look at to take off?

I'm going to use r_picmip 16 cause it is best for my fps? and I've heard all the pro's use it :)

I use sen 2 in CS I'm thinking about a 4 in Q3 as there is much more rapid movement required!

How do I make my opposition glow or is that illega?

do the player models differ (ie one faster than the other?, one takes more hits, etc?)

and weapons, I prefer using the rocket and the rail, so is there a preference list where I pick up guns to that preference list or should I just learn to use the numbers? or set bid keys to my mouse 4 them?

What other settings should I look at in the config????

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Originally posted by Sniipe
    tis set at .02 should I set it to a .5???

whats the best way to rocket jump (taking as little damage as possible) is it jump then when I'm about to come down fire straight down??? how much health should I look at to take off?

I'm going to use r_picmip 16 cause it is best for my fps? and I've heard all the pro's use it :)

I use sen 2 in CS I'm thinking about a 4 in Q3 as there is much more rapid movement required!

How do I make my opposition glow or is that illega?

do the player models differ (ie one faster than the other?, one takes more hits, etc?)

and weapons, I prefer using the rocket and the rail, so is there a preference list where I pick up guns to that preference list or should I just learn to use the numbers? or set bid keys to my mouse 4 them?

What other settings should I look at in the config????

I rocket jump by looking down and pressing fire and jump at the same time, it takes about 50 or less health when you don't have armor, and even less when you do.

r_picmip 16 might help fps, but it also helps you to see better.

The enemy color thing could be seen as cheating but who cares..

seta cg_enemyModel "keel/pm"
    seta cg_enemyColors "0331"

thats what I use, the keel model makes such loud sounds don't you think :> Thats pretty much the difference, the bounding boxes are all the same so you wont hit one easier than the other.

Bind keys to numbers or letters, and learn them. The best thing to do would be to turn off auto switch weapons, and do it yourself.

You might want to cap your fps at 125, if you can get that high, and try get 120hz on your monitor, if possible, for smoother gameplay.

forget what the pros do, they use picmip 5 because any higher is banned in most big competitions like CPL and WCG. If you like playing with detail, play with the detail, it makes maps easier to learn and makes jumppads and portals more visible, but some people like less detail because its easier to see the enemy and stuff. The fps increase isn't much, and as long as you're getting a solid 125 it doesn't matter. Theres only a few commands that you must have in order to be on a level playing field, the fullbrights is one of them, turn off all that bob and roll and stuff, but aside from the few important ones you can get really good no matter what config you use (high detail/low detail, high sens/low sens, etc). If you want a look at a lot of other configs I think www.cyberfight.org has an archive of them.

I don't want to be seen as a cheater (down with that sort of thing) I'll go with the cpl standard, so that means no glowing players and picmip 5 :D

I'm off to coll, I'll look at the www.cyberfight.org configs later!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

hmmm sounds like it was my game you copied, well in that folder i left a q3default.cfg file, which was the cfg i was using, you can rename it to snipe.cfg and place it inside your baseq3 folder, once there start q3 as normal(the osp bat file)and pull down the console(`) and type in "\exec snipe.cfg", then type "\vid_restart"

Should help you a bit, as for the sound, i`d say it was prolly some of the default sound settings, i`m not sure on how they`re fix0red

Basically just find something that suits your style, mess around with cfg commands, which are similar to q2(i mean cs)

On my config i use

E - forward
    D - back
    S - Left
    F - Right

Q - Gauntlet
    A - Machine Gun
    W - Rocket
    R - Rail
    T - SHOTGUN
    Mouse 3 - Plasma
    Mouse 4 - Lightning Gun

I don't want to be seen as a cheater (down with that sort of thing) I'll go with the cpl standard, so that means no glowing players and picmip 5 :D

picmip >5 is not cheating, the CPL don't set the standards for q3, the settings apply only to their competition. If OSP or ID say that high picmip is cheating (they wont), then fair enough, but until then use whatever you want.

KK, thanks!

Advertisement