Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worth the upgrade?

• 08-04-2003 6:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

Hey all, was just wondering if it's worth the bother from upgrading from my 1.2 Ghz duron to a 2 GHz AMD Athlon XP? Will the actual difference be noticable for that .8ghz in games and such?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

depends on what motherboard+ram you have.

I had the same chip and upgraded to a 1900XP but didn't notice much difference on a abit kt7a motherboard, But when I upgraded my motherboard to a nforce2 board there was a huge difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

depends on what graphics card you have too.

SDRAM is fine, just get a good amount. DDR is preferable though.

XP 1800, 256Mb ram + Ti4200 is a nice combination, a cheap one too :)

avoid 128MB cards ATM, the ram is slower on them :(

edit: remember that you will be changing the FSB too, which is nice ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

640 mb ram pc133
    American Megatrends Mainboard 2002 K7SEM. onboard sis graphics card, network, sound etc...
    Ordering the geforce ti4800 thursday :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

even the graphics card alone will mean a BIG improvment. The onboard (and offboard!) SIS GPU's are pretty duff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Don't buy the cpu unless it is dirt cheap. The graphics card was the main reason that your system was held back in games. If you still think you need more performance after putting in the new gfx card, you should do a proper job and get a new motherboard and ram. Your current pc133 sdram would stop you from getting the full benefit of a faster cpu if you didn't change the board.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Will the actual difference be noticable for that .8ghz in games and such?

800Mhz? noticeable? dear god I can remember when you could notice the difference between a 25Mhz 386SX and a 30Mhz 386DX :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

hehe bbc micro rock .. gimmie back my ramdrive you feckers

Advertisement