Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subscriber Package

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I can't remember if you mentioned this - will you take Direct Debits? And will you provide the easy fill-inable form or do I have to get off my arse and go to the bank to do this myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Originally posted by DeVore
    Ballooba, you have no idea what it was like trying to explain Boards.ie to the bank manager. I swear I could see the guy's brain actually break. They still arent sure about giving us a credit card Merchant Account, they are thinking about it :)

Did you actually see the hamster jump off the flywheel and run out the back of his head?

I can imagine what he was thinking. F*cking hippies.

Ulster bank are really good for merchant accounts, they were the most forward thinking bank when dot.coms started and the first to offer Merchant accounts to dot.ies. Sorry I should have mentioned this a couple of weeks ago.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Its Ulster Bank that we are using actually.

They asked us for a Business Plan. ROFL.
    We have actually had to write up a business plan, which basically states the opposite of most business plans. We wont be making loads of profit in a really short time frame, we wont be expanding staff head-counts or exporting to the EU market and we arent really interested in making profit. We dont have an office per-se and we all have other full time jobs (currently).

We tried to explain the concept of community supported "enterprise" but the closest he could get to it was "so its like a farmers co-op. On the net." Which we decided was as good as we were going to get and so let him go so he could return to the other capitalists :):)

He was actually fascinated by it, kinda like people are fasincated by a freak show but they dont want to get TOO close hahahah...

DeV.

Did you get my email Dev? Sent it to tom@spin.ie

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yup but its friday before a long weekend, if you are waiting for a reply from me today I suggest a newspaper and perhaps a portable radio. :) (I'll be in touch).

DeV.

• Advertisement

No worries, it is not urgent at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

"so its like a farmers co-op. On the net."

Aa'right Farmer, DeV... oi be orf to mend moi tractor.

[cue - theme tune from the Archers]

So... any plan on a general release date, or Mod release date for the supporters pack..?

Mod release will be whatever time we get up on Tuesday. Pending things going ok I expect general release with the fortnight.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

We tried to explain the concept of community supported "enterprise" but the closest he could get to it was "so its like a farmers co-op. On the net." Which we decided was as good as we were going to get and so let him go so he could return to the other capitalists
    Technically it is closer to a (night / golf) club where you (admins) are the shareholders and we are mere members / customers. That you are not-for-profit is completely separate.

I'm surprised you didn't give the bank manager the special freemason handshake DeV, just think - max interest rates and no charges.

• Advertisement

I told him I'd send Lexcorp round to his daughters flat.

(btw Gordon, I thought you're sig WAS your post...dont make me sig-spank you. :p)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

how do you do it devore. a full time job run a not for profit org. mod every forum. dont know how many forums there is because of the private ones but how the hell do you read every post in every forum.

any bets the bank manager will sign as a member?

aslo will we see ulster bank ads appearing soon?

finally one more thing when will boards actually stop trying to rule my life. i mean it took a little time to get hooked but 700 odd posts is not bad now.

Thank you boards for ruining my life and i wish i could get to a boards drinks but i dont like dublin too much.

so when the next galway one.

A spell check would be great add on here regi! Save me having to edit my posts.

we're topping 2000 posts a day now, trust me ... I dont read them all! However we have a crack hoe's ^H^H^H team of great moderators who seem to know exactly what level of stuff to report and what to deal with themselves. Boards wouldnt be boards without them. We all owe them a lot.

We wont be seeing Ulster Bank ads any time soon unless they want to pay for them!

Galway seems to have more drink sessions then Dublin!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Ah sure ye are all a bunch of dry ****ehawks in the pale :p

on another note is there any restrictions on what can be put in the taglines e.g. Love child of Dev's Hair TM?

:D .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Well I'll be paying up to support. As soon as it is open to non-mods.

Seems like a great idea to me.

Won't use any features though, apart from the custom avatar.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Any news on the BNC front?

The addition of a BNC to the package would make it really worth the money since i suspect most people will be only really using the mail and the title/avatar.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

When I click on the link to the subscribers page to change things it does not load, it says i do not have permission.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/subscriber.php
    If I add / or in fact nearly anything to the end of it I get in but most of the pictures have a red X where they should be. I also get a lot of script errors when trying to change avtar.

I'm on a broadband connect behind a firewall,
    Browser: 5.5
    Eyes: Blue
    Hair: Black

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I looked at this and all looked fine.

TomTom, I thought it started working for you in the end?

At any rate, I will look again, and send me on the script errors that you get if could. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Any news on the BNC front?

The addition of a BNC to the package would make it really worth the money since i suspect most people will be only really using the mail and the title/avatar.

yeah a BNC would certainly help sweeten the deal. i personally won't be using my journal or the photopost thing much at all. i signed up for the e-mail addresses, custom title and custom avatar and to help boards of course :)

What is this BNC you talk in riddles of Edward?

• Advertisement

It's a type of irc proxy. Essentially it would let you lurk on irc even if not connected with your client, and would also hide your originating IP.

It was working fine, but it started to screw up again.

On the page to upload the avtar I get a script error,
    It says:
    A runtime error has occured
    Asks me if I want to debug.

Line: 522
    Error: Out of stack space.

Same error on the change title page.

re: Bugs, we should really centralise supporters bugs in the Supporters Board but its no biggie...

re: BNC.... we have to be careful about this one as I dont want security issues (or massive bandwidth bills!).

We're looking at another load of things we can add to the pack (for no added cost) that supporters want.

I'm really quite tied at the moment about what I can say is going on for reasons of not wanting to get peoples hopes up and not wanting to let cats out of bags but suffice to say that after 3 years of getting to the top of the community site sector, we're looking at taking our unique culture of community-driven *stuff* into other sectors.

That wont make much sense I guess... but it will :)
    Suffice it to say that I hope to be able to accomodate a number of the communities desires shortly :)

DeV.

ps: Amp desires are beyond my abilities to satisfy. I just thought you should all know that.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Suffice it to say that I hope to be able to accomodate a number of the communities desires shortly :)

DeV.

I love it when devore talks dirty.

TomTom:

I may be wrong, but I get the feeling those are JScript errors in IE. Can you try it without javascript enabled and/or try with a different browser?

I'll try it from home tonight.
    It's also win 2k but is ie 6.
    I'm in college at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

I'm guessing this would cause too much lag on the servers but maybe put a '*' beside someones journal under their avatar if they have updated this journal in the last 6/12/24/whatever hours. Its annoying clicking on someones journal just to find the same post you read yesterday.

Thorbar, under the "Boards.ie" drop down there is a Journals link which shows you the last ten updated journals accross the system (as well as the top ten Most Read and the top ten Most Updated journals).

Hope this helps, I dont think the other idea is really feasible...

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Link and vlink colours are pretty much invisible, at least on this machine. see http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/journal.php?s=&journalid=336&action=view

Al.

Advertisement