Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why no Finish in the Scandinavian area??

Options
  • 08-04-2003 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭

Wondering why Finland is no longer part of Scandinavia, this is news to me anyway and i support all of Scandinavia alone which means Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Iceland, FaoroIsland and Greenland, but the last 3 sort of just belongs to Denmark from a support point of view anyway...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Because Finnish has different roots to the others. Finland is a Nordic country, not Scandanavian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Nitrox

Finland is very much a part of scandinavia, but i was partialy wrong as Iceland is actually part of it also, and then Faeroe Islands and Green land come under Denmark!
    In fact some would say that Denmark is not a part of Scandinavia because we do not share land, but as Danish i do not agree.
    Please change this bulletin to include at least Finland also so it at least looks right!
    Have a look at google and prove me wrong!!

Why not talk to naitkris and set out in the Charter whether Finnish is acceptable or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭pepsiman

Geographically, Scandinavia is the peninsula where you'll find Norway and Sweden, the Scandinavian peninsula.

As a region, Scandinavia is Norway, Sweden and Denmark.

The Nordic countries are Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland and Iceland, and the Nordic countries are often - although wrongly - referred to as Scandinavia.

Greenland and the Faroe Islands are Danish territories.

/T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

pepsiman is absolutly right - i am guessing he's Nordic himself to know this as many outside of the Nordic countries know little about the region as a whole.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭pepsiman

Since I mentioned Greenland and the Faroe Islands, I should've mentioned the Åland Islands as well, as they are the third (of three) autonomous provinces or territories in the Nordic region.

The Åland Islands have, like Greenland and the Faroe Islands, home rule. The islands, more than 6,000 of them, form a Swedish speaking, demilitarised province of Finland, and they are located south-west of Finland, in the Baltic.

But the islands are not part of Scandinavia, so this really doesn't belong here ;)

/T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

well, last i heard talks were underway for Finland to hand back Åland to Sweden as the people of Åland want to be aligned with Sweden not Finland anyways and as you said, are Swedish speaking - if it happens it will make big history.

Originally posted by naitkris
    well, last i heard talks were underway for Finland to hand back Åland to Sweden as the people of Åland want to be aligned with Sweden not Finland anyways and as you said, are Swedish speaking - if it happens it will make big history.
    Actually there could be EU issues here as EU countries aren't allowed have boundary issues or country break-ups (an obstacle to Scottish independence).

Advertisement