Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Konqueror 3.0.1

Options
  • 08-04-2003 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭

I just noticed that the sweet drop down list at the top of the page doesn't display in Konqueror.

OS Slackware Linux 8.0
    KDE/Konqueror Version 3.0.1

My current ip addres for greping through an apache log or two is 213.202.161.239.

Typedef : Needs a girlfriend.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭^CwAzY^

deadly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Yea, this has been mentioned again and again.

i'd suggest boards pop a second version of the menu in:
    http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/menus/demo.html

Is done using only CSS, take a look at the source. Makes it very easy to update and works in all standards complient browsers.

Doesn't work in IE though, but it's fine because it degrades really well.

Implement this kind of menu or other standards compliant menu and it'll be easier to update and will work in browsers in 10 years time. :)

Also, it means that people browsing boards with text-based browsers or browsers for blind people will actually be able to navigate since the menu is in the source & not generated by javascript
    </evangelism>

- Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Apple's new browser Safari is based off Konquerer and unsurprisingly has the same problem. :) Sort this out pleaseeee. That javascript is well dodgy in fairness, surely there's a more standards-based way of doing the menu?

www.aeronautics.ru has a nice Java applet for the menu across the top, it looks well..

Teeth.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

does that site work for you in Konqueror?

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Originally posted by daveirl
    Someone is already blabbering on about this in Admin/Support - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90487

I gave up a long time ago on this working perfectly in my browser of choice.

blabbering on am I dave? Oh I'm going to give you such an evil eye the next time I see you...:ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Originally posted by DeVore
    does that site work for you in Konqueror?

DeV.

Hmm. Konqueror starts the applet in a different window.

I'm not sure how galeon/mozilla deals with boards since I have actually broken my gnome libs by installing mono on this box.

Konqueror 3.0.1 seems a bit flaked out by the javascript here and the java on www.aeronautics.ru.

Typedef : runs off to fix Konqueror's source.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

conqoror doesn't enable js by default

it's really ****ing lame tbh

check your options or somfink

Konqueror has javascript enabled by default, just doesn't enable java by default(due to a lot of distributions not having java out of the box).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Originally posted by Slydice
    conqoror doesn't enable js by default

it's really ****ing lame tbh

check your options or somfink

No I checked that before posting a thread.

mumble mumble.

I'm going back to galeon... as soon as I fix my gnome libs*

mmm

*I manged to break those when I installed mono

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I've tried it in IE6, Mozilla 1.3, Opera 7 (Windows) and Safari (Mac OSX 10.2.5). Works fine in all except Safari.

Which is a pity as Safari is easily the grooviest.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90362

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Hmm.. it's possible that it isn't a javascript issue, as the menus actually work (they respond to mouse-over and clicks etc more or less correctly for me) it's just that they're drawn on top of each other.

Perhaps some messing about the HTML used to lay out the menus will solve the problem? The new version of Safari is so nyomy - tabbed browsing woot!

Teeth.

For some reason the konqueror issue seems to be to do with the browser identifcation. If you customize Konqueror so it sends an internet explorer identification string to boards.ie (settings>customize konqueror>browser identification, then click on new under site/domain specific identification, type in www.boards.ie and choose Mozilla/4.0 (compatible MSIE 5.5, windows nt 5.0) from the list), the menus will work fine

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I tried that earlier with Konqueror 3.1.1a and the menu worked fine.

Could someone try something for me:

Add:
    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" 
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/loose.dtd">

to the top of the page instead of the existing doctype.

I have a feeling that'll trigger standards mode in Safari & Konqueror by default which 'might' make the page work.

- Kevin

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Every page or just a particular page? I don't have any of these browsers with me to start testing anything so I'll need some assistance.

Hey again.

Just mailed the guys who make the drop down menu above.

They said their new version will support konq & safari.

Though I think it's now commercial.

- Kevin

• Advertisement
Advertisement