Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do You Listen To Radio Via Satellite?

• 09-04-2003 4:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭

i'm just wondering how many people here listen to radio through satellite. there are a few good stations on Sky, depending on taste, and loads more on other satellites. i'm finding myself listening more now than ever

Do You Listen To The Wireless Via A Satellite System 23 votes

Yes, It Makes For A Nice Alternative
    0% 0 votes
    No, My Dish Is For TV Only
    100% 23 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Especially usfull on non-subscription Digibox or on FTA Receiver or PC Card Satellite receiver as almost all Radio on Digital is FTA and absolutely all on Analog is FTA. About 60 Channels on Sky work on non-Sky box

Also the "traditional" ShortWave external services, Canada, Swiss, BBC, DW, Sweden, Turkey etc all available on other Sats.. no fissle and no hunting for frequency.

I was thinking of adding a headphone amp and battery pack to a videosender receiver to have "portable" Stereo Radio with remote channel changing. I might put the guts of a one4All in the Headphone amp and wire its LED to the Remote back channel on the video sender.

I like some of the European stations for Pop Classics, Jazz and Classical music (19E and 13E).

getting BBC R4 when LW deteriorates to noise or cricket is good.
    Sport fans might get 5 Live after may.
    I simply don't have time to listen to all the stuff I'd like.

I use Gypsy Media's €11 p.a. Digiguide on PC for all the Radio Listings (and TV) as Radio Times doesnt do Irish Radio (and Irish TV poorly), and RTE guide doesn't do BBC Radio.

It can "export" to WinTV card SW (FM Radio) or PC Satellite card SW (DVBs Radio) for the scheduled recording.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Icehouse

I listen quite alot when I'm alone in the house - mainly to BBC's Five Live, 6Music and Radio 4, occasionally Virgin or one of the other music channels. As my stereo is not hooked up to my digibox (no line in's on my mini hi-fi), I'd love it if Sky would introduce a screen saver/blanker, so that I didn't have to have the blue screen all the time. It's great to get crystal clear radio, and the radio 5 presenters sound completely different from how they do on AM!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

I think digital satellite radio is the best thing since sliced bread.
    i switch off my TV, set my sound amp to Pro Logic and low and behold crystal clear sound and unbeatable choice.
    Beats the analogue choice hands down, although we could do with a few Dublin stations on the EPG.
    I never listen to analogue now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

I've been listening to sat radio ever since RTE radio 1 came on nearly 10 years ago. Before that I used to pester them on a regular basis by letter for them to come on astra 19 degrees.
    How many people remember listening to Limerick 95 on satellite? Sky radio from Holland is an nice station with no DJ's and easy listening music.
    To really enjoy sat radio you have to have it connected to your hi fi!!!! try it and you'll hear what I mean!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Does 102.5 count?
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Unfortunately the increased EPG charges on Sky Digital seems to be taking it's toll on several stations.

It looks like RWB has bitten the dust.

Nice to hear Capital FM etc.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yea I would use the radio services on satellite quite a bit. On Sky, i'd listen to BBC R1, BBC 6Music, Virgin, Planet Rock, XFM, even 2fm! Now I have Century and Capital, which are great additions.

Also listen to radio on other satellites (Astra 1 and Hotbird) too though I havent flicked through them all! I do listen to Sputnik, sunshine live, Veronica, Jump, HR XXL, etc.

If there is one station I'd like on satellite, it would have to be Phantom FM, though I suppose that'll never happen :(

:ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Mark_irl

I listen to satellite radio a lot, mainly radio 5 live, and bbc 7, just wondering does anyone know of a device that will plug into the "audio out" of the digibox and transmit a signal to an FM radio in another room?

byte

Hmm, difficult one that. Unless you Try a videosender? These use Scart and transmit in stereo, which would be OK. You'd then need to convert the Scart at the Receiver to Phono, unless the Videosender receiver has phono outputs... The videosender would also have the advantage of being able to change channels from the other room

:ninja:

If you have an amp that will take a 2nd set of main skeakers that would do the job.
    A set of remote extenders to work the digibox from the other room and then you are in business.
    Mines piped up to the bedroom.
    mm

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Mark_irl
    I listen to satellite radio a lot, mainly radio 5 live, and bbc 7, just wondering does anyone know of a device that will plug into the "audio out" of the digibox and transmit a signal to an FM radio in another room?

I read of a device available in the UK that did that a few months back - try a search on Google, as unfortunately I didn't keep note of where to get one/what it's called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Marconi

PS This item is in use in my house on a daily basis. I even have it in combination with my video sender as the video senders on 2.4 ghz get interferred with by microwaves etc. So in the bedroom I listen on the hi-fi tuner 88.7Mhz and watch on the tv on 2.4ghz.
    In the garden its great to listen RTE or Five Live radio as I do the weeding.This item is a must if you are addicted to radio like me. If your busy around the house you can listen on your walkman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

I have a small FM transmitter (bought it from veronica.co.uk), and I connect this to the audio out of the digibox. The result is clear stereo FM around the house - it's great if you are doing the cleaning - TV in the living room, TV in the bedroom, Hi-fi in the kitchen, hi-fi in the office and portable stereo in the hall - all blasting out the same tunes from 6Music!!. Best £50 I ever spent was on that device - also great for parties, hooking up your sound card etc.

I listen to 6Music, 5 Live, Radio 4 occassionally, Virgin, The Storm and sometimes BBC Radio Ulster and Talksport. I would use the radio service quite a bit, maybe 1/3 of my 'viewing' would be radio.

And Irishbyte, I agree, phantom would be a fantastic addition to the line-up. It would be an interesting way to go if ever they were shut down on FM - though, I suppose they would need a licence from BCI for satellite in any case? I would also like to see Today FM on there, and I suppose some of the locals too would be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭navi_5445

Do you need to be anyway electronically minded to hook up the FM transmitter kit from Veronica.co.uk or is it just a case of a power source and phono leads and away you go?

The 'in a box' solution from jpp.com looks handy, any details on cost Greenman?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Amnesiac_ie

I like listening to the BBC Radio stations on Sky Digital (UK Card). A screensaver or even rolling Sky News footage, advertisng would be better than the blue screen though.

http://www.nrgkitsfm.com/radiokits/lpstfm.htm looks interesting (do these things come in a case???!)

and this one is really neat : http://www.myirock.com/players/300W%20-%20FM%20Transmitter.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by Icehouse
    http://www.nrgkitsfm.com/radiokits/lpstfm.htm looks interesting (do these things come in a case???!)

and this one is really neat : http://www.myirock.com/players/300W%20-%20FM%20Transmitter.htm

300w looks great but site says they wont ship outside N. america

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I've bought broadcast stuff from NRGKitz before, and when you buy them "ready made" they do come in their own casing (although I haven't bought one of little transmitter things).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭navi_5445

Originally posted by Tony 300w looks great but site says they wont ship outside N. america

Looks good but it doesn't appear to have a DC adaptor so batteries could become expansive.

byte

Hmm, interesting, I never knew you could get FM transmitters so easily! Pity they weren't more powerful! Could have yer local radio station!! :D

But if you were living in built up area, I'd assume close neighbours could also tune into your FM transmitting device? Not too sure if thatd be a good idea! :rolleyes:

I bought mine from a pal about for 25 e's. My favourite electronic shop has them with a PSU for 40 e's, here's his AD info@elcom.be & tel 00 32 14 314 201 (speaks english). I run my tx on two sets of AAA rechargeables 650 mili amp hours, works very well.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 digitalman

yeah i love listening to radio on sky digi as well.have it hooked up to my sound system and turn off the telly and hey presto just like fm radio but in superb digital quality.it's great to be able to choose the type of music depending on your mood.There is such a range to choose from.

It gets tireing listening to the same old local stations etc.Would love to see more radio on sky like kiss100 for eg.Eventually maybe.

i would love to have more european radio on sky as well because i only have a stationary dish aimed at 28.5 east i cannot get euro radio from other sats.

I've just bitten the bullet and ordered one of these : http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=ARKCMSF121
    (In euro: http://www.expansys.fr/product.asp?code=ARKCMSF121)

Will report back how good it is if anyone's interested. I'm told the batteries last about 30 hrs which is OK - I'll probably just use rechargeables, and I'm only around the house at weekends anyways... (that said I could use it in the car for an mp3 player or CD Walkman - will my sperm count drop with all these radio waves? :>O )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Originally posted by navi_5445
    Do you need to be anyway electronically minded to hook up the FM transmitter kit from Veronica.co.uk or is it just a case of a power source and phono leads and away you go?

No you don't need to be electronically minded. Just an idiot:

1) It is Illegal. They can enter and search your premises WITHOUT warrant for two things: Smuggling/Excise or Illegal Tx.
    They can seize ALL electrical equipment, even fridge/washing machine.

2)It is irresponsible. You will have no idea what other services you might affect. Not just FM Radio. With improper aerial even an otherwise OK FM TX can interfer with Amulance, Air Traffic, Garda etc. Many TX availble to ordinary public also emit on non-broadcast bands too. Overdriving the audio can also create interference to other users or bands. You may even endanger life.

Stick to LICENCED wireless headphones, speakers or video senders with CE and CEPT marks. Otherwise you are opening yourself to a visit by State and fines / seizures of equipment and also possible disruption of other services.

If you want to experiment with transmitters becom a Radio Ham (called a Radio Experimenter in Ireland).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Guys can we stick to the topic in hand please? This thread has been very borderline since it went off topic.

Only discussions on Radio stations on Sky Digital, and any way of sending the signal around_the_house only from now on.

Originally posted by DMC
    Guys can we stick to the topic in hand please? This thread has been very borderline since it went off topic.

Only discussions on Radio stations on Sky Digital, and any way of sending the signal around_the_house only from now on.

Who went off-topic? All seems OK to me, and I don't believe we need to have our hands held all the time. If someone says something really off-topic or distasteful, fair enough, otherwise give a bit of leeway, please.

Anyways, on topic, and in reply to Watty, surely one has the right to use a really low-powered transmitter around the house (Note: to rediffuse Sky TV/radio, as *is* my case ) - especially if it's within the 88 - 108 range...I believe only if it was much more powerful and used on an already occupied frequency that it could cause problems?!? Correct me if I'm wrong, I like to learn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Originally posted by Icehouse
    Correct me if I'm wrong, I like to learn.

Correct me if I'm wrong, its against the law, and its not to be discussed any further. For rediffusing Sky Digital in your own home, thats fine, but not any general discussion on FM transmission with these devices that may cause interference as watty discussed.

I refer the honorable gentlemen to the rules of this forum, and to the general rules of boards.ie

Locked.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement