Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puca's premium sms based competition - dodgy?

• 09-04-2003 11:31am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭

Has anyone else entered Puca's Nokia 3650 competition?

It works by texting to a premium (60c) text number. I've tried it twice and each time my pre-paid account has been duly debited by the nominated 60c. However, on both occasions I simply couldn't reply to the question asked (which you must do to actually enter).

I tried continuously and hours apart and my sms reply kept failing. Now my pre-paid account is in credit and I have no problem sending texts to friends.

Needless to say I feel cheated and pissed off! :mad:

Yes, they do have a 'support' number on their website but that's a Dublin number which is not local to me and I'll be damned if I'm going to wast more money on them!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -Jim.
    MMS Memo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

If you’re unwilling to phone them, there’s not a hell of a lot I can suggest - It’s not as if their support number is a 1580 number, after all.

Bare in mind, the fault may also lie with the operator - Premium Rate SMS service providers rely upon connections to the various mobile operators, which are sometimes unstable. Additionally, the competition may be run by a third party - a client of the service provider, using their shortcodes, so it would be unfair to lay blame just yet at the service provider.

My company operates in this sector and we recently had a similar problem with requests from one of the three operators. And to be honest, we might not have noticed (and rectified the problem) had we not received complaints.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

Originally posted by The Corinthian
    If you’re unwilling to phone them, there’s not a hell of a lot I can suggest - It’s not as if their support number is a 1580 number, after all.

Even if the phone call was free the point is that I should not have to invest any time or money at all rectifying their problem! They have already taken €1.20 for a 'service' they have not provided (whoever is ultimately responsible).

The reason this pisses me off so much is because I run a website for which I'd like to provide similar SMS type notifications/promotions. I don't know where the fault lies here, my operator, Puca, a 3rd party or the Lord Himself! But I shudder to think what kind of a backlash I could face as a website publisher if thousands of people sign up for services and feel as pissed off about not getting what they pay for, as much as I do about Puca's competition.

For God's sake if these things can be 'unstable' why the hell isn't there a warning going along with them? "We're going to debit 60c from your account but please be warned that due to unpredictable instability we cannot guarantee that you'll actually get anything for your money. Thanks"

Advertisement