Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do people use "WE" when talking bout football!!

• 09-04-2003 1:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭

I have to say it bugs the hell outta me. Does anyone else find this.

WE won last night - and i'm like are u in the ****ing squad or something. At least tell me your from liverpool/manchester or something.

Is anyone here gonna argue for the use of "WE" or do ye accept that even if ye do use it a bit odd to say the least.

I don't particullary mind people devoting themselves to a manchester or liverpool or whatever. In fact I was rooting for United last night when I watched match.

It the "we" that gets me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

your team is the modern day equivalent of what used to be your "tribe" , humans feel a need to belong to a bigger social group and to feel an affinity with your felow supporters, it's natural , if i'm discussing a game I'll refer to the team as "us" or "we" .
    you probably don't support a team then ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

I think it's more a figure of speech than anything else. Soccer and othre such sports can get people wrapped up and they feel involved, so don't worry too much about it. :p

On the other hand some supporters subscribe to become a member of their respective team's supporters club. So the of "we" would be alright in a case like that.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

I have to admit that people saying "we" when referring to football teams they support does kinda bug me. The only time I would say "we" in reference to a football team is when I'm talking about my own local football team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I cant understand why you would let something like that bother you so much. OOnce you know who they are talkling about there is no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

i pay my money for replica shirts, to watch the games. Hell i deserve to say we if i like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

>i pay my money for replica shirts, to watch the games. Hell i deserve to say we if i like.

Oh Lord. :(

At Bohs, as well as buying a season ticket, you can buy a club membership, which means you are part of the club, have AGM vote etc etc, basically involved. So its a little different. Barcelona and a couple of other clubs are also run like this.

But for someone who has never seen their team play, etc, etc, its a little stupid. Makes sense for the international team as well though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Looks like you've precious fu<king little to be worrying about, so. :rolleyes:

If I came across as a sanctimonious twat, good. Other than that, I was simply stating facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Not you, the thread starter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

TwoShedsJackson
    Looks like you've precious fu<king little to be worrying about, so.

Ohh.............i'm sorry.

I forgot you weren't allowed to state something about soccer fans that bugs the **** outta you in a soccer forum.

If you think that then you've precious little to contribute so **** off!:confused:

we = a team you actually play for
    we = somewhere your from e.g ireland, galway united, meath football etc

do you think it would be a bit silly for a Derry man to be saying we while wearing a Sligo jersey.

Thats my point : I just wanted to see how many people would defend it after actually thinkin about it,

If they say its natural etc ...........thats aslong as its recognised as daft

• Advertisement

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

We Think Mighty_Mouse is an àsshole.

Is that ok to say? :)

Indeed.

and ye are?:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Agreed, stupid thread. we, ye, they, what ever the fuk, you must have more in your life to worry about than this crap

Why would a derry man wear a sligo jersey???

The only thing that is daft here is the thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Why would a derry man wear a sligo jersey???

Er... same could be said about Irish who wear English club jerseys.

Anyway, who gives a damn if you talk about your team in the 1st, 3rd or omnipotent person. Does it really matter? If these are the kinda things you worry about, you should really seek help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Not really. County football is not the same as club football.
    Wearing a different counties jersey is more like wearing a different countries national jersey.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Not really. County football is not the same as club football.

Spot on, cannot compare the 2 at all. It will be very rare to find someone wearing another counties jersey, not unless they are married into that county or something

'We' is also used as people are usually very lazy and can't be assed to keep saying their clubs name over and over again in an argument abou who's better :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 not a sausage

mr threadstarter, just read fever pitch and that will be the answer to your question, heck i'll even loan you my copy,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

'We' is also used as people are usually very lazy and can't be assed to keep saying their clubs name over and over again in an argument abou who's better

I'd say he has hit the nail on the head here. A large part of it is laziness.

syllable laziness, if more clubs had single syllable names or shortened versions then many could stop saying "we" and use this new abbreviation, is "boh's the closest / shortest ?

why would a derry man wear a sligo jersey ? (he was cold?)

why would anyone wear a lions jersey ? you can't be from 4 countries

quote yop:
    . It will be very rare to find someone wearing another counties jersey, not unless they are married into that county or something

that would be an unusual one, adopting a county with a marriage lol . marry Cork or Tipp women then if you're from monaghan etc.

probably wouldn't go down too well back in the former "home" county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭manonthemoon

Well Mighty Mouse, you have stirred up a hornets nest here. The responses you have recieved does remind me of a similar response you might recieve from any Sky Sports supporter.

Have you ever made a comment to some sky sports supporter like "I dont think Man Utd. will win anything this year".

Responses like

"What the F*** would you know about it?"
    "WE will win the premiership"
    "WE are concentrating on Europe"
    "WE are not out of it yet"

What the **** is WE about? Your from Carrick-on-Suir, Tuam or Edenderry. I've just seen the Man U first eleven and i didnt see your name on it. Anyway, i cant see Alex Feruson bringing any of you fellas on especially after 5 pints of HARP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Right so what is acceptable then ?

Can you say "we" if you support United and you come from Stockport or Bury ?

What if you're from Reading and you support Arsenal ?

What about Celtic and the Scottish Highlands ?

Is it Geographical or what, if so, how many miles from the ground do have to live, so you can say "we" and "us".

Can you give us some guideline Might Mouse ?

TOUCHY!

I'm a Limerick born Cork man, live 1/2 mile from highbury but I'm a Chelsea season ticket holder and replica jersey owner I also go to about 6 Celtic games each year, follow Munster's European adventures each year and as many Irish rugby and football internationals as possible.

what's my "we" then ?

Growler,

You are a star.

jeez seems like manonthemoon is the only one throwing me a life-line. I have to say I wasn't expecting the response i've gotten so far.

I suppose people are very touchy bout being part of their respective teams. But I'm sure ye can understand where I'm coming from.

Also to those who have not welcomed the question (nearly all i think). Whats the problem. Why waste time responding?

If ye think is a stupid thread just ignore it. Like everyone does with half the threads in here!!

it's my own personal opion that the over-use of 'we' is an annoying feature of many soccer conversations.

Am I allowed have that opion?
    Go on ,,,, let me have that one little opinion, please?

Actually tell ye what I'll change for the sake of the

devoted manu supporter with caps , hats, socks, underpants, scarfs, umbrella, and every jersey every releasedand €65 a pop,

sitting in the pub, center of attention, screaming at the tv that the ref is a ****, and singing we are the champions at the top of his voice, in his Meath/mancunian accent

offering to show people his David Beckam tatoo on his arse.

Don't get me wrong I like soccer and probably watch and know more than some of the 'devoted' fans I've met. But whats the difference between me and them?????

Im not a sad ****er!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭bobsmith833

I have a friend who took this to extremes by talking about his team (Spurs) using the first person singular, not even the plural. His exact words:

"Oh yeah, Southampton are up near me in the table this season, aren't they..."

• Advertisement

>and replica jersey owner

Oh Lord. Why mention this in the same sentence as the season ticket. Its almost like the Irish culture of supporting the team holds the jersey to denote more support than the season ticket. Its truly bizarre.

>and replica jersey owner
    quote from bateman :

Oh Lord. Why mention this in the same sentence as the season ticket. Its almost like the Irish culture of supporting the team holds the jersey to denote more support than the season ticket. Its truly bizarre.

bateman , i'm not taking this thread too seriously , i simply mentioned it coz it was referred to earlier on, but i find my ST far more important , also i rarely wear said jersey due to my aforementioned proximity to highbury :-)

Yeah, because Arsenal's lads would give you a few slaps.:rolleyes:

What part of the Bridge is it for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Next person who implies you're not a "real" fan unless you have a season ticket, €50000 worth of shares and the managers private phone number in your mobile should be banned imo.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

You know, some people say "Serenity now".

I say: Civility. Now.

:)

DeV.

/me fluffles dev, dont see u round the soccer forum much . Get a tip off that trouble was a brewing? ;)

Mighty Mouse: I actually used to agree with u, i got pissed off when ppl said 'we'. It then started growing on me and i didnt really notice i did it till u brought it up on this here forum.

Still like to say we and wont change, i replied cos it is a fairly interesting topic :)

I think its aprt of footballs emotions as someone said earlier. If the team wins, u and the team and all the fans are happy . if the team loses its the opposite. Its like one large extended family. People who support the same club take a stand vs some other clubs supporters in the pub arguments, they automatically become we as theres 2 of em both fighting for the same cause.

That and the lazyness imo is where it all comes from.

• Advertisement
Advertisement