Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freelancer need asap

Options
  • 09-04-2003 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi

I need some help with something as soon as possible. It's a site that runs on an excel database that has asp files and a template that is broken in to three asp files. The person who started working on it got bored and I haven't heard from him since.. a little eccentric to say the least. I tried to get someone
    else I know to finish it but they found it too difficult. Ideally, if you're interested I'd need it to be fixed by this
    weekend.

The programming is basically finished it's just a bit buggy. There's two sections to the site, a viewable section and an upload section. The main problem is with the upload section.

Interested?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭long_b

No offence but the "a bit buggy" could mean anything from "nearly there" to "the design's a complete pile of poo".

Is it based on data in an Access database or an excel workbook ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 doozer

The site is good and the code, so I've been told is well laid out
    There's a problem when you try to upload a graphic to the site
    when using a Mac.

The buggy problem I refer to is the fact that some of the editable
    information is being passed through the address bar in the browser.

If you're interesed I can email the url to have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭long_b

... sure go on so ...

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭str8_away

This can be easly fix by change form action from 'GET' to 'POST'.
    PM me the URL and I will have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Really, POST or GET won't make much difference - you can still see the data if you use a Sniffer to see what's being sent across the wire - for example "Ethereal"

• Advertisement

Sure it is possible to see all info comming in and going out of your computer to internet if you have the right software or hardware.

The thing is that information will not be shown on URL bar.

Do you think ?
    Instead of looking on the URL bar you can look in the source of the HTML and get the form variable names.
    Anybody who will try and hack this will at least know to look at the HTML source.

That's the thing with HTML, user can always check source code.
    You cannot stop people checking source code. After all it is stored on their machine (cache) and I think people have the right to know what is stored on their machine.

Programers can use scripts to hide values in variables to make it harder to find out the values or using flash. But personally I don't know any way to stop people checking values pass between pages using pure HTML.

If you do, please share.

You can see the field name in the HTML alright, but if you SSL for transport (https) you cannot see the values being passed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Originally posted by doozer
    So what. If it's editable who cares if the user uses URL-adjustments instead of the defined UI?

• Advertisement
Advertisement