Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding???

Options
  • 09-04-2003 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭

I think I might of been caught speeding today on the Naas Road the stretch of road just past Newlands cross. :(

But here's the thing, I wasn't stopped by the Gards that had the camera and I was under the impression that if there was a physical presence of the Gardai that they pulled you over to give you a ticket as opposed to taking a picture of the speeding car and sending you out the fine when the camera is concealed in a van for example!

The reason why I'm wondering about this is because they had the perfect opportunity to pulled me over because I did have to drive by them in the slip road that lets you turn onto Monastery Road in Clondalkin. (don't know if anyone is familiar with this strecth of road!!!)

Another point worth noting is that I was in the fast lane with traffic ahead of me in both the slower lanes. Can the Speed gun target in on you with others cars blocking the view???

Cheers.

B.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Eye

well from what i gather if they don't stop you you more than likely ain't gonna get the ticket, what they have in the squad cars are just radar guns for detecting speed not an actuall speed camera to get a pic of your licence plate etc...

also for the gun to work there has to be a clear line of sight between them and you so if there is a car directly infront of you, the signal bounces from that car not yours, however i a pretty sure that these guns can be pretty accurate so if they can see half of your car they should still be able to get you i would imagine.

maybe someone else can confirm that but thats what i would think anyway

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

What did the speed meter look like?
    This:
    laser2a.jpg
    or this:
    chap-laser-crop.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

I've been caught this way before, a whopping 5 points and £120 fine. Good luck. :ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yah, afaik, there's a bit of a 'sweet spot' that allows you hide behind a vehicle on your left. Of course, many things can come into play - the distance between you, how far ahead of you the vehicle is, how big the vehicle is.....

Touch and go I'd say my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

How fast were you going?

- Dave.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Benbaz

I'd have to say it was the first pic Samson, as it was on a tripod alright!! This is when you say "Stuuuuunnngg!!!" :(

How fast were you going?

Hard to say, as I was overtaking at the time, probably about 50 in a 40!
    I've been caught this way before, a whopping 5 points and £120 fine

"5" points??? I thought it was only "2" for speeding!! Please tell me it's only 2 for speeding!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

"5" points??? I thought it was only "2" for speeding!! Please tell me it's only 2 for speeding!!!!

Sorry, didn't mean to alarm you. I'm from Manchester. :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by Benbaz
    I'd have to say it was the first pic Samson, as it was on a tripod alright!! This is when you say "Stuuuuunnngg!!!" :(

Well, if it was a tripod mounted unit, there is the possibility that a camera was attached, like this (known as Lascam):
    cam3a.jpg
    If so, you can expect a fine and points in the post.

Try to think hard and answer the following questions:
    How far was the tripod from the patrol vehicle?
    Was there something like a suitcase on the ground beside the tripod?
    If the tripod was very close to the vehicle, was there a cable running into the boot/back of the vehicle?

Another photo:
    tripod2.jpg
    Courtesy www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk

I didn't see a suitcase, but just because I didn't see it doesn't mean it wasn't there!!!

And it definitely wasn't connected to anything in the car as I drove my car in between the tripod and their car when I drove down the slip road.

It all might me false hope though! I'd say it's 50:50 whether I was caught!!! The only thing is, the cars ahead of me were travelling over the limit too so maybe they got them instead!! One man's lost, another's gain!

The only thing that p!sses me off is that I only got my full driver's licence in the post yesterday!! Great start, eh??

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Well have you learned your lesson to not speed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

also theres a huge backlog on the fines, so you may not find out for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

On accuracy of targetting

The older handheld "hairdrier" guns really need you to be by yourself (ie the first car in a group, or relatively separated) for any chance of an accurate reading. these days they're mostly used at the bottom of hills and on corners, where the first car coming over is easily caught.

The boxier models generally tripod mounted (but I have seen them used from cars) are laser based, most of the newer ones can pick a car out of a line of traffic nearly a mile away as the beam only spreads out to around a metre at this distance

but the scariest is the kit they have in the un marked traffic cars (god I love those red mondeos with the big alloys) they have a little screen which is night vision equipped and has some sort of laser stuff too, and for each car in the traffic ahead the unit will give it's speed (assuming some sort of line of sight) works on oncoming traffic too. and those yokes have a serious range too.

(i knowa guy in special branch, sometimes he gets to borrow traffic cars, the bastard)

anyway,
    most of the cameras i see in my travels nowadays are the laser ones, but I've never spotted one of them with the camera on top of the gun, I'll have to see if i can spot some of those

John

Well have you learned your lesson to not speed?

:)

Consider the lesson well and truly learned!! Until the next time anyway!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Hard to say, as I was overtaking at the time, probably about 50 in a 40!

you might get away with that, depends on the gardai manning the speed gun and as long as the speed and passing move wasn't dangerous .....

speeding while passing someone out is a grey area, as long as the move is safe and you return to the limit afterwards its normally seen as ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Ondafly: also theres a huge backlog on the fines, so you may not find out for ages.

Because of this backlog, many speeding offences are being invalidated because they go beyond the period with which the Gardai can act on the offence..

There's a technical term, and a fixed period, but I can remember neither! Any solicitors or Gardai in the house?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Originally posted by Krusty_Clown
    There's a technical term, and a fixed period, but I can remember neither! Any solicitors or Gardai in the house?
    is the technical term for not being able to cope with the volume of photos called "underfunded gardai preying on motorists, in areas where the speed limit is usually set at at a ridiculous level, so they can increase their statistics and finances and shortly afterwards realise that they will have a lot of paperwork to deal with"

is the technical term for not being able to cope with the volume of photos called "underfunded gardai preying on motorists, in areas where the speed limit is usually set at at a ridiculous level, so they can increase their statistics and finances and shortly afterwards realise that they will have a lot of paperwork to deal with"

LOL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

It depends on the offense. If you're going really fast (90 in a 60mph zone) they can take you to court for dangerous driving and the amount of points awarded is at the judge's discretion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

but the scariest is the kit they have in the un marked traffic cars (god I love those red mondeos with the big alloys) they have a little screen which is night vision equipped and has some sort of laser stuff too, and for each car in the traffic ahead the unit will give it's speed (assuming some sort of line of sight) works on oncoming traffic too. and those yokes have a serious range too.

Apparently those red Mondeos with the big alloys are ST220's - 220bhp from a 3.0l V6 and are capable of 0-60mph in about 7s and can go on to about 150mph. If they decide to give chase, you're f**ked! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I remember the first ST220 I ever saw........burned out in the Hollyhill industrial estate. Couldn't the scummy ****s buy a pair of ****ing gloves and leave the car in one piece when they're done.

I once got a speeding ticket from a Garda in a black Alfa GTV. A Garda with taste - that was totally unexpected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Originally posted by Krusty_Clown

Statute of limitations I believe it's called.

Basically its a fixed period where charges must be brought against the 'accused' within a certain time limit. This applies to all crimes and not just speeding.

So If you rob 200,000 out of a bank and arent caught for 20 years, you can lodge it into your account and they can not charge you with the original bank robbery.

I believe that the Statute of Limitation on a speeding incident is around 9 months.

*This is what I have been led to believe re: the Sataute of Limitations and may not necessarily be fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Pimp Ninja
    I believe that the Statute of Limitation on a speeding incident is around 9 months.
    I think specific offences are either 6 or 12 months.
    *This is what I have been led to believe re: the Sataute of Limitations and may not necessarily be fact.
    As best I know the Statute of Limitations only deals with civil matters (debts, property, etc.)
    So If you rob 200,000 out of a bank and arent caught for 20 years, you can lodge it into your account and they can not charge you with the original bank robbery.
    You are threading on very dangerous territory here, the likely scenario is the judge (or DPP) would refuse to allow the case for fear of a miscarraige (can you remmeber where you were at 3:25pm 20 years ago?), as opposed to there actually being a law against a criminal prosecution after this amount of time.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Originally posted by kbannon
    "underfunded gardai preying on motorists, in areas where the speed limit is usually set at at a ridiculous level, so they can increase their statistics and finances"
    on that note I noticed that the gardai must have splashed out recently as they had replaced the white van on the Lucan road (on the flyover to Liffey Valley) with a green one. Still the amount of cars that were dirving dangerously by exceeding the intelligent 40mph limit there should have it paid off by the end of the day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Young Sid

I think specific offences are either 6 or 12 months.

All non-indictable offences - proceedings must commence within 6 months of date of offence. Road tax is exception, 12 months. (This is a revenue offence)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

edit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

I doubt there St220`s now!!

Advertisement