Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mickah, Portobello Firewall

Options
  • 06-05-1998 4:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

Mick, I had a look at those IP address for you. Your gateway is 194.125.212.125 --> pc125-admin.portobello.ie,
    Now there are also IPs from 212.124 to 212.129 which are admin/staff PCs:

194.125.212.124 --> pc124-admin.portobello.ie etc. etc. up as far as 194.125.212.129,
    but the 212.124 stops an outsider from pinging your lab machines, so that is obviously the gateway that your machines
    go through. One thing you could do is nuke one of the IPs from 125-129 and use that IP but you will get caught sooner
    or later at that.
    Your lab PCs start at 131, so I tried pinging 194.125.212.130 and got
    'can't find 194.125.212.130: Non-existent host/domain'
    which means that no machine has that IP. Now, that machine is the borderline between Staff and Your Lab, meaning
    it could go either way. Change your IP to that and retry getting net access. This is also dodgy, as the IP doesn't
    even have a DNS with it.
    Basically, your gateway is stopping any traffic unless the IP is between 194.125.212.124 and 194.125.212.129
    MAYBE the 212.130 IP will work but if it doesn't I'd say you might have to put up with it. If you can get a staff IP,
    belonging to one of the lecturers, you will get out thru the firewall, but you have no chance just knowing lab IPs.
    Some gateways need to have an IP AND a username before it will let you out. If your admin can just log into any lab machine and
    have access that means ure gateway is set up that way and you have no chance. If you are using Win95 and not NT, something you might
    try is this:-
    Go into the network options in control panel, and click off the 'log onto NT domain' option (double click on 'client for microsoft networks').
    Change the main logon in the same options to 'windows logon' instead of 'client for microsoft networks' logon. Then delete the 'ADMIN.PWL' file
    in c:\windows and log into the machine as ADMIN. Change ure IP to 194.125.212.130 (or 129 if u nuke the other machine), and try then.
    If that doesn't work, well then you just have to sit back and take it up the ass I'm afraid. Sorry :)

Z

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Chaos

<center>cd3d.gif</center>

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

: Thanks alot for help zero. Hopefully we should get around later on today.
    : Thanks
    : J,

Do you have access to any Unix machines with
    external access? I think you can run the FAQ
    proxy on Linux, Solaris and OSF, and connect
    out via that.

John.
    --

Hmmm that would be beautifully simple but do u need not root for that?
    : Do you have access to any Unix machines with
    : external access? I think you can run the FAQ
    : proxy on Linux, Solaris and OSF, and connect
    : out via that.

: John.
    : --

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mickah

That IP : 194.125.212.130 doesn't work - no
    external access.
    Gis a link for a nuker willyah, fúck'em I is gonna
    nuke that IP range : 125-129
    Btw there is no ADMIN pwl file. I tried to find
    their usernames aswell i.e "kieran.pwl", no luck!

Looks like we're fúcked unless we can nuke those
    machines...

Mickah

: Hmmm that would be beautifully simple but do u need not root for that?

Doubt it, it runs as a process connected to
    the outside world, if every user has outside
    access I presume it isn't a problem.

Maybe try it on your linux system down there.

John.
    --

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

:any user on a machine with outside access outside can
    run the proxy .... unix or win95 .
    doesn't matter who ya are!

I just ran the proxy as an ordinary user on
    GI server, seems fine.

John.
    --

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

That HIBS should be the right way round on the second skin I sent you as I changed that too... I can't mail u coz I'm connected to a direct number... I'll be on my own machine in a couple of hours so if its wrong (I have no way of checking u c) mail me again to confirm.

Mark

Advertisement