Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vodafone HSCSD dial up number!

• 09-04-2003 6:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

any1 know what it is ? :ninja: plz !!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭hudson806

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

cheers do u also know the gateway ip address ? plz !
    also is high speed GSM the same as the above ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

isn't 0872292222 is a wap dial up number?

hscsd - is for high speed web (internet) connections - you need it set-up for your account
    re: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=77095#post734109

did you call data support to get HSCSD enabled for you?

they should have given you the config details, Fidelis listed them out here anyhow:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85121

yes it's a GSM Dial-Up (Circuit Switched) conneciton

BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭hudson806

Originally posted by DubWireless
    isn't 0872292222 is a wap dial up number?

Well, its the number that Vodafone data support gave me for HSCSD Internet access a few months ago. I haven't used it yet though. Maybe they're the same? :confused:

Looking at the other thread, which lists the other number, I guess it doesn't matter anyway ;)

Sorry if I confused anyone

hi hudson - had been a good while since i dialed-up for WAP been using GPRS since they launched it - just had a check on vodfone.ie and they list it under their wap settings

swapped the numbers on the phone to try but it wouldn't let me connect :( - took me about a week of emailing to track down someone who could give me the correct settings when they first launched the Mobile ISP!

BrianG

• Advertisement

yea i phoned them brian - they reluctantly set it up...now i can get attatchments ! yay :D mms still isnt working lol poo ! and that number seems to work for me :p

Originally posted by Tusky
    yea i phoned them brian - they reluctantly set it up...now i can get attatchments ! yay :D

good news :)

yeah my Pre-Pay Voda MMS still throws that 'contact customer care' error - on any phone i try :( - all customer care suggest is going into a Voda store as asking there

can you list out the settings (making username generic and leaving out the password ;)) you have entered for you HSCSD access point on the phone - interested to see what config you got up and running:

Data Bearer:
    Dial-up number:
    Username:
    Prompt Password:
    Passowrd: ****
    Authentication:
    Gateway IP:
    Data call type:
    Max. data speed:

Thanks,
    BrianG

sure
    Originally posted by DubWireless

Data Bearer: High Speed GSM
    Dial-up number: +353872292222
    Username: dublin
    Prompt Password: no
    Passowrd: ****
    Authentication: normal
    Gateway IP: 10.24.59.100
    Data call type: ISDN v 110
    Max. data speed:9600(wont work for some reason with any otheres)

Thanks,
    BrianG

ahh - ok that's a WAP connection (as you are entering the (WAP)Gateway IP and have a regular GSM speed of 9.6 kbits/s)

how did you manage to download an email attachement using that connection?

a High Speed Circuit Switched Data (HSCSD) provides you with a Web connection (not WAP) that can push the speed up to 43.2 kbits/s (you'll get 38.4 kbits/s using V.110 for the Vodafone ISP from a Nokia handset)

if you set up an HSCSD account you can get those faster speeds and use it to connect to the full internet (i.e. not limited through the WAP gateway)

if you give data support another call and ask them to help you set up HSCSD on a 7650 they should be able to talk you through it, or you could try the HSCSD details given in the linked thread above

hth,
    BrianG

Its not WAP as i could not get attatchments when using the wap connection, i rang up and got HSCSD set up, it gives you a choice of speeds i tried the fastest and had a prob so i just went for 9.6 , havnt tried any of the otheres -

Also when i rang data support they told me to ring customer care to set up things like that ^^ :)

• Advertisement

no worries Tusky - (that is a WAP connection though)

the way the Access Point configs work on a Series 60 device: if you enter a WAP Gateway Address the connection settings dynamically alter to become a WAP connection - that's why the default Homepage, Connection Security and Session mode entries appear.

Voda's WAP configuration details are the same as the settings you've typed out

how are you connecting to you pop/imap email account using that connection?

when you were passed over to 'regular' customer care did they not talk you through how to configure your phone for HSCSD / did you ask?

BrianG

yes i did ask but as usualy vodafone customer care is total bolax :) u obviously know your stuff so im sure your right ;)
    i cant stand the customer care staff tbh ! they drive me mental !
    i a connecting to it by going messages - mailbox - retreive new mail just like normal ... !

i hear ya - customer support is usually a nightmare :)

can you check something for me on your handset - since you created this new connection - have you set-up the mailbox you are checking to use this new connection?

you'll find which connection is being used by the mailbox by navigating your way through the menu like this:

Main Menu - Messages - Options - Settings - E-mail - Mailboxes - Your Mailbox - Access Point in use

regular customer support are grand with basic account queries / or when the answer is available on thier support intranet etc. - that's why i'd always try data support with any data related queries (i.e. non WAP or Live! - but for HSCSD and ISP GPRS) - they have some good people who know what the story is and can usually help out - so long as you manage to get through to one of the good ones :)

BrianG

I know my way around the phone by now :D I am currently using the GPRS isp access point but was using the highspeed (or so i thought) or wap whatever :) it was just tooo slow to dial up etc so i changed to ISP !

Not the fact that they dont know what they are talking about but even that they are so unfrndly to me,maybe they detect my good looks over the line and are intimidated !

A customer support gal once said to me " the nokia 7650 does nto support email or attatchments or any kind" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

good to hear you managed to get the GPRS ISP set-up :)

using the details you posted above - if you check your POP mail with them the phone will make the dial-up connection and sit there saying "connecting to mailbox" while it tries to make a connection the to POP server... the WAP Gateway can't handle these requests - so the phone sits there re-trying in the background leaving the "connecting to mailbox" message on the screen - after a while it will eventually give up - that's why it looked like it took too long to dial-up because it couldn't make the connection to the POP server to check/download the mail

it's the same situation outlined back in Jan, it needs a Web / Full Internet connection in order to get it to work:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=77095#post734109

it might be worth your while trying to configure the HSCSD connection - you usually get faster connection with HSCSD than with GPRS and it may work out cheaper if you are taking down attachments (as you are charged per second rather than per kb) - do you want the HSCSD details for your 7650 and give it a shot - we can post them out for you?

BrianG

yea cheers dub cheap is allways nice ! :) i await the details ;)

Name: Voda HSCSD
    Data Bearer: High speed GSM
    Dial-up Number: +353876202222
    Username: your_email_address@vodafone.ie or your_email_address@e-merge.ie (if you had an e-merge.ie address and haven't migrated via the vodafone.ie online mail system / or it didn't migrate for you (like me!))
    Prompt Password: No
    Password: Your "My Vodafone" Password
    Authentication: Normal
    Gateway IP address: 0.0.0.0 (default - leave alone!)
    Data call type: ISDN V.110
    Max data speed: 38400
    (Options)
    Phone IP Address Dynamic (default - leave alone!)
    DNS #1 0.0.0.0 (default - leave alone!)
    DNS #2 0.0.0.0 (default - leave alone!)

you then select this Access Point into you mailbox settings

how would it be cheaper than downloading apps attached to your email via GPRS?

the attachment should only take a few seconds to download on HSCSD - if you are a bill post-pay customer this can be used with your inclusive minutes or an off peak (on network 087 - 087) call - so you save on the cost per KB of data you would have been charged for GPRS as you only get charged for the short call (so long as you hang up :)) - for RTG pre-pay customers could use it off-peak for an on network 087 - 087 call

when would GPRS be useful for checking email?

when you are regularly checking headers in order to select specific mails to take down if required (and maintaining a permanent GPRS connection to Vodafone to avoid their min 10KB per connection charge) - perfect in conjunction with an application like Active Mail from Cibenix

hth,
    BrianG

Advertisement