Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF councillor resigns over US use of Shannon

Options
  • 09-04-2003 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭

My, what an upstanding character, who resigns when the war seems to be past it's peak (I hope!). Seems like an opportune moment to disappear, just like spin doctors releasing bad news on September 11th. It's nice to see that Fianna Fáil is rid of another politician with a number of convictions.

http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/breaking/517327?view=Eircomnet
    FF councillor resigns over US use of Shannon
    Wednesday, 9th April, 2003

A Fianna Fáil councillor in Donegal has resigned from the party over the continued use of Shannon airport by the US military.

Mr Patrick Danagher (30), who is also vice-chairman of Ballyshannon town council claimed his party was "a disgrace" over what he termed its "sitting on the fence" on the war issue.

"This is an Anglo-American invasion of Iraq, it's not that I'm pro-Saddam Hussein but war will only inflict more misery on the people of Iraq. The Government seem to be using the war to make money and it's a disgrace we're taking this stance on the issue," he said.

"Fianna Fáil has broken a lot of promises since the last election," he said, "and we have to show the Government we're not prepared to tolerate this."

In March, 2002, Mr Danagher had the Fianna Fáil party whip removed from him following his conviction at Ballyshannon District Court of the possession of cannabis. He has insisted that his resignation today is not in any way motivated by these events, stating that his "cannabis conviction is a personal matter, not a political one."

His decision leaves only one Fianna Fáil councillor on Ballyshannon Town Council. Another of the party's members, Mr Pat O'Malley resigned from Fianna Fáil at the time of Mr Danagher's first conviction in February 2002, and currently sits as an Independent.

Advertisement