Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Broadband Qs

• 09-04-2003 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

I am thinking about getting IBB and want to know is there anywhere i can see a pic of the antenna? I want to get it but i don't want this big yoke on my roof. Is it small? There website says a pole of 2m. I can see all them masts on top of the three rock out of my attic window perfectely would i need such a big pole?

Also, I have a small two computer network, working though a crappy little hub (works for what i use it for). I want to be able to share the connection should i:

Put a new Ethernet in one PC and connect the wireless to that and share through a proxy.

or

Connect it to the hub(Real crappy one,<edit> hold on dont I need a router not a hub?</edit>) anyway use the routor/hub? does that cost extra? What typr of routor/hub should i get (Cheap one)

or

Do they offer a usb option? what do you think about that?

OR

IS there any other option?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

hi Kappar

they attached mine to the back chimney there were about 3 places they could have put it but were happy to install it the most unobtrusive one - so you can only see it from one place at the front of the house

ibb_antenna_installed.jpg

up close it looks like the top antenna in this pic (sorry i'm not up to climbing up on the roof tonight to get a close up of mine! :)):

126_hr.jpg

you just get an ethernet cable to plug into whatever you are going to plug it into (usually a Ethernet Port on the computer) - it either comes direct from the antenna (if it's powered) or from a Power Over Ethernet box (if it's POE)

you could use the 2nd ethernet card + hub option / or get a router

i use Bluetooth networking as it gave me the most flexibility to share the internet connection (with laptop / pda / mobile phone)

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

Thats Great thanks. YOu could of put the effort in and climbed up on the Roof <Shakes head> tut tut tut :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Kappar posted
    Thats Great thanks.

no worries :)
    Kappar posted
    YOu could of put the effort in and climbed up on the Roof <Shakes head> tut tut tut :D

next time we get a thunderstorm with heavy rain i'll head up and get one for you :)

BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

DubWireless: next time we get a thunderstorm with heavy rain i'll head up and get one for you

Make sure you don't pull a Rod.

Advertisement