Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

usb 2 anyone?

• 09-04-2003 8:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭

i recently got a 750mb usb2 zip drive cant get it to operate at usb 2 speeds & was just wondering if anyone here had actually got this working & if so could they shed some light on the prob.

o.s. is win xp & i installed service pack 1 (after a long search on the ms site & a few googles failed to turn up a usb 2 driver on its own) but my usb is stil recognised as usb 1.1 & i definitely have usb 2 ports on my system.

i timed the transfer of about 100megs of mp3s to a 250 disk at bout 6 mins which im fairly certain is usb 1 speed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

what MOBO are you using? if it has USB2 you should have got drivers with it.

do a search for the manufactures website, look for BIOS updates and get these http://www.iomega.com/europe/support/english/documents/10425e.html

also try it with a 750 disk, as
    Performance: (Note: Specs marked as "with Zip 750MB disk" may be reduced when using Zip® 100MB or Zip 250MB disks)
    Seek Time (avg.): 29.0 ms
    _
    Maximum Sustained Transfer Rate: 7.5 MB/sec (USB 2.0) [0.9 MB/sec on USB 1.1] (with Zip 750MB disks)
    _
    Rotational Speed: 3676 RPM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

ridht i did the same test (transferring 100megs of mp3s to zip disk) with a 750 meg disk & it took about 1 minute 5 seonds. which is roughly what u were saying should be usb 1.1 speed.
    this wouldnt bother me normally but when ur writing a full 750 megs to a few disks it will make a big difference

is 7.5 megs a second ever achieved or am i definitley still usb 1? does anyone ever shift 7.5 megs a second with a 750 zip disk?

can anyone shed any light?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

im fairly certain this isnt the prob. I just got my motherboard a few weeks ago . this is my motherboard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

ridht i did the same test (transferring 100megs of mp3s to zip disk) with a 750 meg disk & it took about 1 minute 5 seonds. which is roughly what u were saying should be usb 1.1 speed.

Its a bit faster actually, it was rated at 0.9 megs per sec @USB1.1 wich would be around 1:30 for 100 megs

remember too that ZIP disks aren't an inherently fast medium, they're touted as backup solutions, an external USB2 HDD seems to be more what you're looking for.

anyway I found this which seems to indicate that the speeds you're getting are normal
    from: http://pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/reviews.nsf/UNID/5FAE621F896F3E13CC256C8C006EA285!opendocument
    While the USB 2.0 connection offers fast data transfer rates, the Zip 750 wasn't as fast in our tests as the Iomega Predator USB 2.0. The $549 Predator wrote 650MB to 24X CD-R in 4:17, while the Zip 750 took 6:30 (2:46 to copy back to the hard disk). The $679 Iomega 20GB Portable Hard Disk wrote the same data over USB 2.0 in less than one minute

[edit] spelling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

not on the usb topic......

how do find that motherboard? i know you've only had it a few weeks but you should be getting a feel for it by now. what are the overclock options like?

Originally posted by quarryman
    not on the usb topic......

how do find that motherboard? i know you've only had it a few weeks but you should be getting a feel for it by now. what are the overclock options like?

motherboard is top notch. 2 of the usb 2 ports come on a pci card front type thing (with a bluetooth)so they take up a card slot. havent really looked into overclocking it yet but ill let you no when i do. :)

came across an interesting option last night which has kinda solved the problem.

right click your zip drive in my computer. go to properties. hardware tab select your drive. properties again. now go to policies click "optimize for performance" and under that "enable write caching on the disk"

has more than doubled transfer rates..... 100 megs of mp3s now transferring in bout 30 seconds or under.

its not 7.5 megs a second but im a lot happier with it now.

thanks to all who helped

Advertisement