Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do girls look for in a guy?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I have a six pack, a motorcycle, a tattoo and a penchant for evil..

I do NOT like six packs!! They're weird! Nobody,as far as I know, is born with one.
    They're something men have to work at to achieve. Why would anyone want to go out with someone like that? He'd be spending all his time at the gym.

Now all I have to do is find a bloke who tolerates death metal without wanting me to fit into his stereotype of what he wants his girlfriend to look like...... :(

But seriosly, not every girl wants the Brad Pitt lookalike thing. Its important to be with someone who's like your best friend, because looks fade, but personality stays.

I was going out with this guy who was in a bike crash, and made bits of himself, he was really badly scarred. I only cared because of the discomfort it gave him, but it didn't change in any way how I felt about him, or how attracted to him I was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Chucky

Originally posted by Silverfish
    I do NOT like six packs!! They're weird! Nobody,as far as I know, is born with one.
    They're something men have to work at to achieve. Why would anyone want to go out with someone like that? He'd be spending all his time at the gym.

OK, I've been working out at home for 3 years and im only 20 years old. Obviously my muscles are well toned but what if the guy is only working out to make himself feel fit and healthy? Is that so bad?
    I never once wanted huge muscles. Right from the word go I've just been working out to feel fit FOR MYSELF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Now all I have to do is find a bloke who tolerates death metal without wanting me to fit into his stereotype of what he wants his girlfriend to look like...... :(

But seriosly, not every girl wants the Brad Pitt lookalike thing. Its important to be with someone who's like your best friend, because looks fade, but personality stays.
    OMG, you sound completely like a girl I work with, who keeps kissing me on the cheek when she's drunk! :D But you can't be her...for various reason. Her terrible spelling being one of them.

I think many girls breath a sigh of relief too when they hear that men are actually interested in personality. Frankly a woman can be completely gorgeous (and I mean Liz Hurley gorgeous), but, if after 5 minutes talking to her, she sounds like a bore/pratt/gold-digger/idiot, she'd be gone.

Although women will never believe the above regardless of how many times the say they do ;)

(Any of the above may be removed/edited tomorrow when I haven't got a significant volume of alcohol pervaying itself through my veins. :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭karma kabbage

RELIABILITY!!! So sick of being with un-reliable guys. Part of this is have some sort of money flow... But it mainly being able to take his word, if he says he'll be somewhere at sometime...then he will.

A non-smoker...someone who doesn't smoke cigarettes and who doesn't like pot.

Someone who finds 'nuts in may', 'pete & dud', 'blackadder' and other things like that funny... with my kinda sense of humour. Who is fun to be with.

An affectionate guy is nice too....

but sometimes there just has to be a spark and if you feel that *spark* she will too, then the rest doesn't matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Zukustious

Originally posted by karma kabbage

Someone who finds 'nuts in may', 'pete & dud', 'blackadder' and other things like that funny... with my kinda sense of humour.

What's Nuts in may and Pete and Dud? Seen Blackadder.

'nuts in may' is a dodgy english film (mike leigh) that i love and 'pete & dud' was my own shorthand for peter cook and dudley more (comedic duo).

It's irrelevent who they are really...they were just the examples of my sense of humour that i pulled of the top of my head ... (very good if you can get your hands on 'em) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

Hmm, Id disagree. I'd say it is quite natural and common, its just that people dont tend to be that active and healthy in the 21st century. Personally, I dont have the most well defined six pack, but its not like I actually work out either. I just happen to be naturally very slim, very low body fat percentage and have a very high metabolism. It doesn't require going to a gym.

very low body fat percentage and have a very high metabolism. It doesn't require going to a gym.

Alright, I apologise for saying you spent all your time in the gym. Maybe I should have put 67 exclaimation marks after it to highlight it as an obvious exaggeration? I was just taking the 'majority of...' view. Like, when someone says 'men are all ********' they obviouslyy don't mean ALL men, becasue they haven't met them. So I was just saying. :(
    OK, I've been working out at home for 3 years and im only 20 years old. Obviously my muscles are well toned but what if the guy is only working out to make himself feel fit and healthy? Is that so bad?I never once wanted huge muscles. Right from the word go I've just been working out to feel fit FOR MYSELF

Cranky lot last night weren't we??! The title of the thread was 'What do girls look for in a guy?'

I said what I personally look for, and don't look for, and I believe my opinion is not open to negotiation. I do not like six packs. Great if you do it for yourself, fair dues. There's plenty of girls out there who like them, so you're doing this for yourself AND making yourself healthier and more appealing to some women, so that is an excellent thing.

But I personally prefer cuddly bellies.

****DISCLAIMER****

I'm frantically reading back over this in the hope it won't be quoted and deconstructed at a later date. If what I said can mean two things, and one of them upsets you, then I meant the other thing.

What about hairstyle in a guy? Shaved head, Longish hair, longER hair!, messy hair, .....or do girls actually like that bleached blonde hair?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by Chucky
    What about hairstyle in a guy? Shaved head, Longish hair, longER hair!, messy hair, .....or do girls actually like that bleached blonde hair?

Most of the girls I know drool over that spike prick on buffy.

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Originally posted by Chucky
    messy hair
    are you refering to hair which is actually messy or the "just out of bed look" which is all the rage and actually takes half an hour infront of a mirror with a tube of wax to achieve - you've got to be the biggest poser to have that - "oh look at me! i'm a rougish young trouble maker with messy hair, coz i just dont care about anything! am i not cute and loveable??!!" - that pi$ses me off:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Originally posted by T.G Catter
    Someone who can make me laugh... and make nice tea! Not many fellas make nice tea u know...

I make quality tea, tea is very important, i've decided i like you.

The same as with men, everyone's taste in tea is different.

Me, I like a good strong cup of lyons. Preferably not made by anyone with that messed hair look or the bleached blonde look.

T.G Catter, from my extensive studies in this area, I can recommend some men with good tea making abilities? There should be a 'Who's Who' published of men with vital tea / coffee making abilities.

(Um, I got an hour's sleep last night, so I apologise for the lack of sense )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

The same as with men, everyone's taste in tea is different.

its getting real philosophical, tea should be made strongly with not very much milk and no sugar. None of this dishwater stuff when you dip the teabag into the water for the craic just to make it wet. Also the quality of the water is important some water in dublin sucks and the quality of the tea from these houses suffers accordingly. Its on topic i swear.

see i'd have to go for a highly condensed tea making experience... strong tea, milky tea and sweet tea...

but it doesn't really matter how they like their tea so long as they are willing to make my tea as i desire it

for 'desire please read 'NEED'

• Advertisement

oh, and hairy guys all the way, long hair, facial hair
    ........just no hair in the tea please (not a mix'n'match situation)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ahaha Drowner we're NEVER going to fall out over a guy anyway!!

What annoyed me here was (oh there's ALWAYS something, isn't there?) that a load of guys have posted here telling US what we want!!

I've found that if I'm around someone a good bit, they don't p*ss me off, they're funny, they can be serious when they know I need them to be, they mighn't be the best looking guy in the world but I will fall for them.

Although, I'm apparently notorious for my really bad taste in men, but I always think the people I go out with are great, I'm friends with them all still because I value them as people.

1) I do NOT like six packs. Bleee. I like a man with a good bit of weight on. Mmmmmm cuddly.

2) MUST have the ability to be sarcastic, and understand sarcasm.

3) er.....now here's a shallow one.....I would prefer him to like the same music as me but its not compulsory.

4) er.....'size' is definitely not important.

5) I have a car. I don't need him to have one. (my car, my music!! Mwoahahaha!! If he wants to listen to his stuff, he can get his own car and listen to it in that!)

I think if he has some/all of these qualities, I'll eventually just fall for him anyway, because I'll look for something attractive about him. If he has no personality, I won't bother looking for something attractive, he won't even blip up on my radar.

The rest of the post is negated by point number 2, right? Do I win?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Does anyone look for what they reckon/know the guy will become, or what they can make out of him?

Looking at things like his Da, his college course, his hairline, his share portfolio, his characterless malleability?

Just wonderin', like.

Originally posted by ferdi
    are you refering to hair which is actually messy or the "just out of bed look" which is all the rage and actually takes half an hour infront of a mirror with a tube of wax to achieve

yeh i mean the "just-out-of-bed-look". Its what I go for most days when i bother. Haha. No way does it take that long though. And you dont need wax either. You just need to find the rght type of gel.

What about "just-out-of-bed-look" bleached blonde? The lead singer from busted has something kinda like that. I think it looks pretty cool.

What do ye all think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

Does anyone look for what they reckon/know the guy will become, or what they can make out of him? Looking at things like his Da, his college course, his hairline, his share portfolio, his characterless malleability?

Believe it or not (and according to the discovery channel on Friday night), and I always look for this- if you want to know about a guy and what he will turn in to you look at his mother.
    A girl- you look at the father.

Also men who have unhealthy relationships with their mother's or who have overbearing, overmothering mothers, IMO, tend to be disloyal, but romantic. They get sick of being henpecked at home by their mams and tend to see potential realtionships the same. I always look for a guy who gets on with his mother but not to the point of still being treated like a child, or treating her like a girlfriend- (i've seen it its weird)

Irish Mothers have a lot to answer for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

[QUOTE The lead singer from busted has something kinda like that. I think it looks pretty cool.

What do ye all think? [/B][/QUOTE]

The lead singer from busted :rolleyes:

Enough said

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Samara

Wow, could this question be any more general, there's no magic formula, different gals like different guys - simple as that!! My own personal preferences - not requirements, I'd live without a couple :D In no particular order BTW

1) Sense of humour - preferably sarcastic wit, love of Monty Python and all things wacky. Ability to laugh at himself and able to take a slagging!!
    2) Respect of my independence, does not sulk or get jealous if I go out drinking with either my male or female friends. Does not think I have to check with him before I make plans for myself. This indicates lack of trust, no trust = goodbye. That's not saying he would not be included in the majority of these plans, he would, but I need my space and I expect that he would too!
    3) Physically - broad shouldered, not too skinny or too heavy, average is just fine, muscled physique is also just fine, just not too WWF like!! Eyes, any colour as long as they're striking! Hair, no requirements, I like guys with shaved heads, average length hair and long hair...it's the package that counts not a particular aspect. Nice bum is also a big bonus :D Any guy who spends longer in front of a mirror than I do getting ready for a night out is also a No-No
    4) Also the main physical attribute obsessed over by men - penis, size doesn't matter as long as he knows how to use it and is not a selfish lover!
    5) Any guy looking for a domestic slave can just forget it, I refuse to clean up after any guy, it's all I can do to clean up after myself. Sexist comments relating to so-called 'women's jobs' will result in a black eye for the man in question:ninja:
    6) Basically a bit of give and take, willing to compromise, not allergic to either mad nights out or cosy nights in depending on the mood!!

That's not too much to ask is it????:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Samara

Nice bum is also a big bonus

You're in luck so.

you can pm me for my number..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭evie

Some interesting quotes from the lads there! I think everyone has their own opinion but a sense of humor and the ability to carry on a longer-than-5-minute conversation would rank pretty high for me! Also a nice smile, can't go wrong!

:D

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt
    As soon as some man trains/breaks you in on the house chores front... you'd make some one a lovely wife ....someday.

Don't make me hurt you !! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by evie
    <snip> the ability to carry on a longer-than-5-minute conversation <snip>
    :D

...must....resist....sarcasm......

Sorry, I just don't tend to meet many girls who fall into that catagory out in Dublin (with the possible exception of Whelans bar)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

So what's next Merc - calling her by her sisters/best friends name whilst in the heat of the moment? :)

Good luck!
    Al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Good with his hands...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Nice personality ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Sweet jesus Merc!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

That scares me.

I think I'll stay single a while longer ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Merc has your pen been leaking again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by Gordon
    Merc has your pen been leaking again?

Actually .... if you look at that pic long enough, the top "Stain" (I feel so dirty now, thinking about what fetishes Tilt has been inflicting upon the pillow) almost looks like someone had their face covered in crap, and then mashed into it [the pillow] leaving behind an imprint of their (mashed) nose and their eyebrows

And the bottom stai .... erm ... actually .. lets not go there :eek:

Tilt!!! Ye perverse bugger ye! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭DriftingRain

1. A nice Butt.
    2. A sence of humor.
    3. A person that can have fun without having ALL the attention.
    4. A good dancer.
    5. A nice butt, wait I already said that!!!!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

Originally posted by T.G Catter
    Someone who can make me laugh... and make nice tea! Not many fellas make nice tea u know...

lol
    :)
    Aparently I'm pretty good at the tea bit :)
    But i'm all taken

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by DriftingRain

4. A good dancer.

gah, and I was doing so well up until then.

Unfortunately when I hit the dancefloor I lose my normal finesse and agility and start moving like an articulated truck.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Originally posted by DriftingRain
    1. A nice Butt.
    :p

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=854564#post854564

In reality... I need a date... any takers for Saturday night... go through screening processes in my pm box.... muhaha

Anyway…You may hurt me at your leisure Samara.

LMAO, Merc, you are one scary dude!!!!! I've suddenly been put off my breakfast by your pillow pic! Besides, I'm afraid to hurt you now in case you set HER on me:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

I've got quite a cute little ass too Typie. Can I go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

Originally posted by Amz
    Good with his hands...

Hehe, wana get a Drink ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

In reality... I need a date... any takers for Saturday night...

well Typie, if there's a flash dinner involved, I'm there! :D

Mercie, you freak!!

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt
    [BI think Ill have an ickle nap now. [/B]

I believe you need it!

ps
    don't forget to change the sheets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Ms Taken

jees people he is like that!!!! and hes not sleeping with my best friend! when hes not in college hes with me.

Wow this thread has certainly changed a hell of a lot.

I definately agree with all the 'bum points' about a girl. :) She definately needs to have a nice, lucious bum that you just wanna........Ill stop there. haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭DriftingRain

Well, I have the nice bum part. I have the nice eyes part. I don't wear much make up unless I am going clubbing then I like to throw on a little extra. Soooo, it must be something else about me that throws a man... I must figure that one out!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement