Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost My Windows 98se Product Key/ID!!

Options
  • 10-04-2003 3:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

So my Win98se manual has been thrown out. And I need to reinstall win98se and reformat my hard drive. Only thing I'm missing is of course the Product Key/ID which was nicely printed on the front of said manual.
    Any where on the computer or indeed the Win98se CD that this information can be found?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Google threw this up
    To locate the product key in the registry boot your computer to Window 98/98 SE. Once the Windows has loaded click the mouse on the Start button and then select Run. When the Run Dialogue box opens type regedit in the Open: field and click the mouse on the OK button. This launches the Registry Editor. In the Registry editor click the mouse on the Edit button of the menu bar and then select Find from the drop-down menu. In the Find what: field type productkey and click the Find or Find Next button. This should locate the registry key with the productkey. Write down the ProductKey Data found on the right hand side of the registry editor. Make sure you have the ProductKey Data value and not the ProductID
    Try that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DrummerBoy

I couldn't find anything on google yesterday!!! Cheers that worked perfectly.
    A.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Boot into DOS (F8 or Setup or startup disk)
    into the windows folder ( c: CD \Windows )

edit system.dat
    search
    find
    ProductID
    use the left arrow to see it (ignore the numbers - just use the blocks of letters) - There will be a few of them for other products. - might as well write them down while you are there. Also works for Windows 95 and Office 95. (you could look for productkey - but it will be to the left of productid and best to learn the more generic method)

reinstall tip.. copy the contents of the win98 folder on the CD to a folder called win98 on the HDD - run setup from there - main advantage is in case you loose the CD later....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Whiles its sorted now.. another thing you can do on some copies.. When it does not ask you for the product key during the setup but asks for it during the reboot, you can boot up, F8 go into safe mode and edit the registry adding in your own key and set the reboot option or something.. cant remember right now.. anyway change to 3 or so so system thinks its done all the reboots... Reboot to normal mode and its fine..

Advertisement