Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Timing Belts

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Hi , I had my car in for a service its a 04 megane and it cost my 475 euro , crazy price in my book there was nothing really wrong with it need to replace the rear light but other that that a typical service , anyway the mechcanic then tells me that the timing belt needs to be done cost approx 700 euro to do this , do nayone know where i could get it done for cheaper , cant affort this i would be better off buying a new car at this rate

As far as I know, Renault are doing a timing belt kit & water pump on petrol Renault car for 499 Euro. I saw a sign outside the Renault dealership at the start of the Naas Road that said this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Timing belts are a big scam in the motor industry, they need doing and are recommended doing so by the main dealer. It can cost up to e600 depending on model such as the Hyundai Santa fe There are generally no warnings when a timing belt is worn. They just go and with catastrophic consequences. You'd be looking at a new engine in most cases. .

It's false economy not to get it done and done properly particularly at a back street garage. I would always entrust the timing belt to a main dealer or mechanic that knows his stuff and with the correct tools. and would always insist on a parts & labour guarantee.

Timing chain, Pushrod and sidevalve engines do not need any of this preventative maintenance. (Except for the odd ajustment in valve clearance or chain tensioning) This type of engine design obviously brings substantial extra revenue to car manufacturers in spare parts, labour and replacement engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,449 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

This thread is 5.5 years old. Read the charter, newbride2007.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement