Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EsatBT revised DSL pricing announcement.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

LFCfan - there was an article on all this in the sunday business post which said that UTV would consider moving into the market once they get costings etc sorted, and if there was demand. MAybe Scott can clarify things for us here though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Aardvark

I realise this is a really basic question, but...

do I still have to pay Eircom line rental if I get Esat/IOL Broadband? (I assume all my voice calls are then carried by Esat too, right?)

cheers,
    Kevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

no, your voice calls will still be with eircom you will just be paying IOL for the dsl internet connection, unless you chose to switch to esat as your voice provider aswell but that will still have a cost. it will not be included in the dsl package

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭p2p

LFCFan all I want to know is, 'Are UTVip gonna offer a Broadband service'?

Yes, know would be as good a time as any to clarify further Scott,
    If you are i'll hold off, otherwise i'll order on monday with via or go with esat...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by Aardvark
    I realise this is a really basic question, but...

do I still have to pay Eircom line rental if I get Esat/IOL Broadband? (I assume all my voice calls are then carried by Esat too, right?)

cheers,
    Kevin

This is a topic that has been debated many times with mixed reaction. You will still have to pay line rental no matter what DSL product you get (unless you can get Esat's LLU service????). Some people think this is an added burden on the already high price of ADSL(me included) and others see the ADSL charge as an add on and as such don't count it as part of the cost of ADSL. What group would you fall into?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

ENN have a story about Esat BTs revised ADSL pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

taken from.....

http://register.iol.ie/broadband/yourquestions.html#a2

IOL Broadband also splits out the downstream and upstream fields, so instead of taking up half of your bandwidth on the upstream you will only send a request over 128kps while the downstream of data to your PC will come back at 512kps. This vastly improves download time, web browsing and audio and video playing.

Call me stupid but are they saying that because they are offering a 128k upload link (as opposed to 256k) that it will somehow speed up downloads? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Seems like they won't be introducing a 1mb package at the old 512 rate of €90 a month. That would be very tempting if they did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 TitanFire

Finally we're getting somewhere! I can see myself signing up to this since it's what we've been looking for - except that cap of course. <€50 is tempting, and that it's available in my area :D

Unless UTV come out with something nicer before Esats goes online (so to speak), I'll be going Esat. So come on UTV!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭crazyasafox

I know it has already been mentioned earlier that esat are just reselling eircoms flavour of dsl hence the the reason why anyone on eircoms i-stream(in Dublin anyway)can get this service.Anyone in the know have any idea if they will be able to turn of interleaving for faster ping times or is it the case that any reseller is bound by whatever product that eircom are doing?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Originally posted by crazyasafox
    I know it has already been mentioned earlier that esat are just reselling eircoms flavour of dsl hence the the reason why anyone on eircoms i-stream(in Dublin anyway)can get this service.

After detailed chat with Esat guy I understand that the present product just announced is NOT a resales of Eircom's new product - hence it is only available in Esat-installed exchanges.

The reselling of Eircom's new DSL service wil not start until May or June and no pricing has yet been decided.

So the issue of self install and comparable pricing seems to be a bit premature right now.

I am really torn betwen waiting for an uncertain Esat service and getting an immediate service from Eircom........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 TitanFire

Originally posted by Piliger
    I am really torn betwen waiting for an uncertain Esat service and getting an immediate service from Eircom........
    Esat has 1Gb more on the cap - that'd influence me tbh.

Plus I dont think eircom have my exchange enabled yet, but Esat's test says I can get broadband :)

Btw, anyone know if eircom still charge to downgrade an ISDN line?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Thank you for your enquiry. IOL Broadband is available in your area

Never before have those words been so sweet to my ear. This Esat ovver i think i will look into. Its very nice though i do hope they increase the CAP. 4GB is a weeks worth of Net use :(
    I wish EsatBT also allowd the ole DIY install option, would be nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

why do they still insist on a 12 month contract, since it is going to exclude most people living in rented accomodation????

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I live in a town of just under 20,000 people right next to Cork freeken city, I've got an exchange just a few hundred metres down the road, can I get broadband though? Nooooo. . . .

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭shinzon

why are ESAT charging 190 pound installation and EIRCOM is only asking 100 yo yos, I assume that from the vast majority of posts that it is indeed a resell of eircoms product, so why such a differnce in price for the installation

SHIN

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

I've been waiting 14weeks for DSL to be put in, and I just got a phone call the other day telling me they have absolutly no record of me ever signing up.

Fuxake, If you cant get DSL, your fine,if you can get it,you get bull****ted for months and then you have to figure out yourself that they're not giving you it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

Originally posted by Piliger
    After detailed chat with Esat guy I understand that the present product just announced is NOT a resales of Eircom's new product - hence it is only available in Esat-installed exchanges.

The reselling of Eircom's new DSL service wil not start until May or June and no pricing has yet been decided.

So the issue of self install and comparable pricing seems to be a bit premature right now.

hrmmm it must be a resell of eircoms radsl product, as i've known for a fact esat haven't been in my exchange up till now & eircom have been, but the online iol test says it's available here, unless they upgraded many exchanges on the sly, which is unlikely as they'd trumpet that kind of thing, or the online test is a pice of sh1te (entirely possible)

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by shinzon
    why are ESAT charging 190 pound installation and EIRCOM is only asking 100 yo yos,

Because Eircoms €100 install is for self install, don't see Esat offering that yet.
    Apparently it is a re-selling of eircoms RADSL product. I'm guessing Eircom have rattled them by putting out their "cheap" res product....seeing as it goes twice the distance of standard ADSL, they can get twice as many customers, and it's all becoming more commercially viable perhaps? Using Eircom might just be a stop-gap solution, i'm sure they don't want to be seen to be "sleeping with the enemy" for long!

I think personally I can wait a few months more or get Via's, 5GB just won't work for me as i'll be sharing it with two housemates :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Synkronite

Originally posted by shinzon
    why are ESAT charging 190 pound installation and EIRCOM is only asking 100 yo yos, I assume that from the vast majority of posts that it is indeed a resell of eircoms product, so why such a differnce in price for the installation

SHIN

No, this is how I see it..

EsatBT's e190 installation includes
    (a) A free ADSL modem
    (b) Engineer Install

Eircom's Engineer Install costs e199 I think, so Eircom charge an extra 9euro and dont even include a free modem. You have to purchase one.

Eircom's e99 installation is what you get for them sending you a package with two line splitters, rj11 cable, software. You still have to purchase the modem.

--
    So while both are over-priced (My uncle in europe got free connection, free modem, 1Mbps ADSL for under e50pm) .. EsatBT do seem to offer the better choice.

Unfortunately Im on an eircom enabled exchange and will be going for the eircom product as I dont want to wait till June for hope that EsatBT 'might' resell Eircom's ADSL offering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Originally posted by Raskolnikov
    I live in a town of just under 20,000 people right next to Cork freeken city, I've got an exchange just a few hundred metres down the road, can I get broadband though? Nooooo. . . .

:rolleyes:
    You in Ballincollig Raskolnikov?, if you are - where the hell is that exchange:confused:

But back on topic, the IOL test says that I can get broadband, but the Eircom one says no ... now I know for certain that Esat is not in Ballincollig .... so what the hell database is Esat using? or is it a simple lookup of numbers (i.e. my phone number corresponds to the ballincollig exchange) and so they tell me it I can get broadband without/before testing the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

its good anuff

5gigs is ok not great but its going up thats the main thing lol

the installing charge isnt bad either

the only thing im worried about it the ratio 48:1 would be well Fu*ked up and their would be no point going from 46kbp to 5,6 lol

any info on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by bizmark
    the only thing im worried about it the ratio 48:1 would be well Fu*ked up and their would be no point going from 46kbp to 5,6 lol

any info on this?
    Luck of the draw to an extent bizmark. With a 5gig cap you won't get people grabbing stuff from Kazaa 24/7.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by Dangger
    Its great to see, and we have seen the prices drop by 50%
    That's crap and you know it Dave. You should be ashamed of yourself, parroting telco propaganda here as if it's gospel. Goebbels would have loved you.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Originally posted by BigEejit
    so what the hell database is Esat using? or is it a simple lookup of numbers (i.e. my phone number corresponds to the ballincollig exchange) and so they tell me it I can get broadband without/before testing the line?

The IOL Test only tells you if IOL BrBd is available in your area, not on your line. Take a look at the wording again.

Originally posted by dahamsta
    That's crap and you know it Dave. You should be ashamed of yourself, parroting telco propaganda here as if it's gospel. Goebbels would have loved you.
    That came off a little strong. The point I was trying to make is that I've seen no evidence of [substantial] retail-level price drops yet. I've seen alternative products sold at lesser prices, yes, but the value levels are the same. I'll amend this if Esat's "new" product has the same contention ratios as their existing products, but I won't be holding my breath.

Half the product for half the price is not "great to see". It's a confidence trick that relies on consumer's ignorance of technical matters.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Originally posted by dahamsta
    That came off a little strong. The point I was trying to make is that I've seen no evidence of retail-level price drops yet. I've seen alternative products sold at lesser prices, yes, but the value levels are the same. I'll amend this if Esat's "new" product has the same contention ratios as their existing products, but I won't be holding my breath.

Half the product for half the price is not "great to see". It's a confidence trick that relies on consumer's ignorance of technical matters.

adam

Agree with some of your sentiments Adam.
    Having been living abroad on and off for the last 18 months, its still a disgraceful situation that we have in Ireland when you look at some of the offerrings available in the States for example.

But the tide is changing (slowly) and I think that was Dave's point.

--
    BTW, I think we have a new "Goebels"...Iraq's information minister, Mohammed Saeed al-Sahhaf :p

Originally posted by 80project
    But the tide is changing (slowly) and I think that was Dave's point.
    I don't deny that 80p, but I'm still disappointed that Dave would say the prices have dropped by 50%, when in value terms - which is the critical factor - the drop is nowhere near that. I'm pretty sure the Eircom and Esat propaganda ministers would be smirking happily if they saw the Chairman of IrelandOffline parroting such a statistic on a public forum.

Dave's delighted to see movement in the marketplace, and so am I, but there has to be a responsibility in making statements like this. If ENN spotted this statement and quoted him, for example, if would give a far prettier picture to the Norms than they should be getting. We're nowhere near expressing this level of satisfaction yet.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Point taken Adam.

IOFFL's next public outing will be a the Digital Media Conference conference on May 1st. I will do my best to frown all day!;)

Seriously though, it can be tough moaning to journos ALL of the time. It's nice to acknowledge a positive step, but as I said I take your point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

As I've said before, what they're doing is like selling half the bread at half the price* and calling it a bargain. Sure it's cheaper (and it's finally piquing my interest) but there isn't anything extra being given to the consumer.

*actually, technically with the contention ratio they're selling half the bread at half the price and possibly making you eat it slower but that's stretching the analogy far too much.

Advertisement