Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EsatBT revised DSL pricing announcement.

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

But when You factor in the 24/7 Connectivity (notwithstanding the Cap) that is what makes it (more) attractive than anything that is currently out there for the price.

Thats what got me mildly excited about the development, although I know I'd be straining hard not go over the 5 gb's the 1st 48 hours every month!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Don't get me wrong, I'd give my left nad for a DSL service, and in reality I'd probably lash out for Eircom's full-on service, because it would probably work out cheaper than what I'm paying now and because I'm a bandwidth junkie. Unfortunately I can't, because Esat and Eircom are punishing my whole area for my reckless commentary. :)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Synkronite

I would just like to point out that EsatBT *is* reselling Eircom's i-stream starter package and has branded its own version as 'IOL Broadband' All those of you who were on Eircom-only enabled exchanges should now be able to get IOL Broadband by checking http://register.iol.ie/broadband/signup.html and putting in your phone number.

For any of you who are still confused..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭zz03

Originally posted by Synkronite
    http://register.iol.ie/broadband/signup.html and putting in your phone number.

While the page you link to (above) works, none of the links on that page work - pricing, etc.

Yet another eircom/BT group wind-up of Irish internet users?

zz..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Synkronite

Originally posted by zz03
    While the page you link to (above) works, none of the links on that page work - pricing, etc.

Yet another eircom/BT group wind-up of Irish internet users?

zz..

Hmm, true.. they do work on the main page, but when you enter your phone number and click submit and are taken to the new page, the links seem to be broken..

Now Im confused whether I should go for Eircom or EsatBT's DSL offering :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 O.T.Grouch

Synkronite

I've passed the Eircom test, but I've just done the Esat one and I get

'We are sorry IOL Broadband is currently not available in your area. '

Still confused :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

On the phone to Esat yet again yesterday.... confirming that the 5GB cap is *actually* a 5GB cap....and unfortunately it is...

...but interestingly enough the guy told me that 30something more exchanges will be Esat-enabled by end of May/beginning June!

Means I can get *any* Esat DSL package now... even the uncapped €109 package... hmmmm.... makes me think :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

While I'm happy to see some competition to rival Eircom, I think the installation fee is far too high. Although Eircom's (engineer) installation fee is higher, I suspect EsatBT's fee is still high enough for them to be able to hide the true cost of the modem. It seems to me that they are passing the cost of the modem on to the customer in the form of the high installation fee. I think that the sales and marketing types have found a way to circumvent the rules by pretending it is free and hiding the true cost elsewhere, in effect forcing you to buy their modem.

And yeah, carbsy I can't see any other interpretation for the 2nd answer in the "your questions answered" page at http://register.iol.ie/broadband/yourquestions.html#a2 other than that they are trying to convinice us that the smaller the upstream bandwith is, the faster downloads will be! This is ridiculous misinformation.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by Dangger
    Point taken Adam.

IOFFL's next public outing will be a the Digital Media Conference conference on May 1st. I will do my best to frown all day!;)

Seriously though, it can be tough moaning to journos ALL of the time. It's nice to acknowledge a positive step, but as I said I take your point.
    Sorry Dave, I didn't see this. Obviously I don't object to IO expressing satisfaction with progress, or I would have attacked for every press release and interview you ever did, including the stuff I wrote myself - boy, that'd be bizarre. It just needs to be tempered, as I already said. Anyway, good luck at the conference. I'll see if I can get someone to sponsor me to attend, and then I can stare daggers at Eircom and Esat reps for the day for you.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Hannibal_12

Originally posted by O.T.Grouch
    Synkronite

I've passed the Eircom test, but I've just done the Esat one and I get

'We are sorry IOL Broadband is currently not available in your area. '

Still confused :confused:

I actually passed the ESAT test and I must say I'm shocked. Actually a pseudo alternative to €ircon, amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Hmm, true.. they do work on the main page, but when you enter your phone number and click submit and are taken to the new page, the links seem to be broken..

That page worked fine for me the past 2 days and it's working fine today too...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I would just like to point out that EsatBT *is* reselling Eircom's i-stream starter package and has branded its own version as 'IOL Broadband' All those of you who were on Eircom-only enabled exchanges should now be able to get IOL Broadband by checking http://register.iol.ie/broadband/signup.html and putting in your phone number.

Esat reselling i-stream ? No, I don't think so. Why would they resell the competitors product ?

Besides, the IOL Broadband is still using the same hardware and configuration as their own Esat products (which is a different hardware config from the Eircom product).

Esat are rolling out more and more exchanges (co-equiping with Eircom).

I see the number check page works, but the other pages aren't working any more.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by Paulw
    Esat reselling i-stream ? No, I don't think so. Why would they resell the competitors product ?

Well it isn't quiet reselling, it is more complicated then that, they are purchasing Eircom wholesale (EUR27) RADSL product on the last mile and then using their own backhaul from the exchange

The CEO of Esat said in a newspaper a few weeks ago that they would be doing this.

Why would they do this? Well it is a lot cheaper then LLUing exchanges and installing your own DSL gear.

Esat are rolling out more and more exchanges (co-equiping with Eircom).

No, this is likely to stop now. Esat want to gain customers with the least amount of effort and cost. They are doing this by only sligthly undercutting Eircom (a duopoly in other words).

We need more competitors like Via and UTV and alternative platforms like wireless, cable, etc. in other to get real competition.

Advertisement