Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

modem problem

Options
  • 10-04-2003 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

Scenario: (Was all working fine up until a month ago.)

DELL Optiplex GX110 suddenly wouldn't dial out. Changed the modem. Same problem remained. By chance realised that by removing the modem cable and putting it back in it worked. Now it will only dial out if the cable is unplugged and replaced each time.

Two perfect modems doing the same thing in the PC so I am assuming it's not the modems.

Anyone else ever come across this issue?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Normally fixed by using a two wire rather than a four wire cable. Eircom have a habit of sending spurious voltages down the outside wires which causes havoc with software modems in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Could be the cable running from the modem into your telephone socket. Try using a different cable ( you can take the cable out of the back of you phone and plug it in if you wish)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

I had this problem with an old winmodem I had.

What seems to happen is the line is being brought up by the modem/pc as soon as the cable is plugged in, as the dial tone times out after a certain amount of time you have to dial fairly soon after the cable is plugged back in or you will not get a dial tone.

It was ages ago and I moved to an external modem around the same time so I never had a definite fix for it, though I remember I also changed my line splitter as it was causing other problems with the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭stormin

Thanks guys. Will give these ideas a go.

Occidental: I have no idea what a two wire cable is though. I have never come across that. Do you know where I could get one?

Advertisement