Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real Madrid v. Man U. 'the real story'

• 10-04-2003 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭

Can someone please stop all of this b~llsh#t about Real Madrid?

Yes they have some good players but the way people were talking about them before the game you'd wonder why Man U bothered to travel at all.

Ron Atkinson on ITV was even worse, the 'mighty Real Madrid' etc, etc.

Simple facts

1. Ruud Van N. couldn't do what Niall Quinn did to Hierro at the World Cup.

2. Yes Figo took his goal well but what did Barthez give him the space for if not to try?

3. Raul took THREE touches on the pass before he shot to the left of Barthez.

4. To see Man U give them so much space reminded me of Mick Mc Carthy's glory days against Macedonia and Holland. There was no fighting spirit whatsoever from Ferguson. It was almost as if he was visiting Lourdes at the end of the match.

5. No midfield of any substance.

6. Madrid could and should have killed the game off and they didn't.

So please get real about Real Madrid and remember that they are a football team not a bunch of gods.

It seems the press coverage is more like a four year old talking about Disney characters.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

What struck me from the game was the amount of space RM had. If I had that amount of space I would probably look like a footballing god also (well maybe not).

But the point is that if ManU had bothered to play on the night there would be no way RM would have the space to do all their fancy flicks/passes etc. Give any team room and they will punish you.

I think RM may have a different game on their hands when they go to Old Trafford - they may go home a little less excited.

btw - Manu have a tougher game mid week against Arsenal - the real team of gods ;)

Hyzepher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Man Utd far and away the best team to come out on England ina long time so therefore all English pundits and fans expect their Englishness to win through therefore building up the other side into gods so if and when they lose they have the "far superior" "streets ahead"

But they are class when attacking there is no other team on the planet who can match them.
    But tactically they have weaknesses at the back.

Simple if you dont let them have the ball for the enitre 90 minutes you will win :D

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Gaffo

There was fighting spirit at the start of the game but the first goal and the fact that Real didn't give Utd any space on the pitch killed it off. The second goal was extremely bad defending and the third was sweetly struck. Raul took three touches to create space, hence making the shooting angle tighter, and still put it in on the other side of Barthez.

The whole game was a combination of Real stepping up their game and Utd playing poorly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

We should bear in mind that the threadstarter has an agenda; he seems to be an Athlético fan.

Real Madrid were breathtaking the other night. I personally think that the fact that Man Utd stood off them for periods had a lot to do with the fact that they are just THAT GOOD. To suggest otherwise is silly.

YES the could have killed the game off with a fourth, but that argument can be countered by pointing to the fact that they had a definite penalty turned down, and Barthez should have walked in the first half for the handball. So a little less of the Madrid-bashing, there may be a little hype, I know that Big Ron (and plenty others too) would like to think that a team capable of beating Man Utd have to be worldbeaters, but lets face it, Madrid are as good as it comes these days. So what if Raul took 3 touches before beating Barthez expertly at his near post. Barthez has looked suspect on plenty of previous occasions that i can think of, but it usually takes great players to make him look as flawed as he did the other night.

Hats off to Madrid, I didn't think it would be so easy, but they will go through the tie, because they are a better team.

On another note, Van Nistelrooy DID SCORE one goal, so he arguably did at least as well as Quinn against Hierro. And no midfield of substance? The use of the word "substance" here is pathetic; maybe we are finally realising that there is only so far that you can go relying on a Roy Keane type player to be your midfield lynchpin. There is no substitute for class, and Real
    Madrid have that to the extent that nothing else matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Being a Barcelona supporter, I don't like Real Madrid. But the simple fact is they are the current European champions and they are probably the best team in the world.
    Man Utd may not have played to their best, but Madrid would never have let them.
    I do however think Barcelona (if they make it to the semis) could knock out Real, simply because of the history of the fixture. But in reality, probably not.
    prefer to see Real win it rather than Utd. I may not like real madrid but I do like some of the players, cant say the same for Utd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Jake303

Originally posted by Bateman

Real Madrid were breathtaking the other night. I personally think that the fact that Man Utd stood off them for periods had a lot to do with the fact that they are just THAT GOOD. To suggest otherwise is silly.

Agreed, I dont think Man U stood of them at all, it was just that they simply couldnt get near them at times. Good players create space for themselves.
    A great example of this for me was in the second half when Raul picked up the ball and ran the length of the line towards the conrer flag with only a foot or so space to work the ball with two Man U players in attendance neither of which could get the ball off him, eventually JOS did as he entered the box, fantastic close control though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Originally posted by sayireland
    Simple facts

Excuse Me if im wrong Ruud scored,Niall Quinn Didn't,your post is aloud of crap btw :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Originally posted by Sposs
    your post is aloud of crap btw :rolleyes:

Here here.

Madrid are class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sayireland

Evening Herald 10-42003 page 11

Headline
    The might of American Forces is vital warning to other despots.

Sub headline
    Let's face it - the US is the Real Madrid of world powers, writes Ian O Doherty

Yes, I am an Atleti supporter and season ticket holder and of course have an agenda but it amazes me that while here for a couple of weeks on holidays I find the press treat them with so much respect.

We all know that they have some great players but all of this reporting is way over the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by sayireland
    Can someone please stop all of this b~llsh#t about Real Madrid?

Yes they have some good players but the way people were talking about them before the game you'd wonder why Man U bothered to travel at all.

Ron Atkinson on ITV was even worse, the 'mighty Real Madrid' etc, etc.

Simple facts

2. Yes Figo took his goal well but what did Barthez give him the space for if not to try?

3. Raul took THREE touches on the pass before he shot to the left of Barthez.

4. To see Man U give them so much space reminded me of Mick Mc Carthy's glory days against Macedonia and Holland. There was no fighting spirit whatsoever from Ferguson. It was almost as if he was visiting Lourdes at the end of the match.

5. No midfield of any substance.

6. Madrid could and should have killed the game off and they didn't.

So please get real about Real Madrid and remember that they are a football team not a bunch of gods.

It seems the press coverage is more like a four year old talking about Disney characters.

actually, i think you will find that Real were so brilliant the other night, and Man Utd so poor, that it was embarassing to watch at times.
    Real played them off the field. they were the far superior team, the far better skillfully, technically and exciting.

whats your excuse for that?

must have been the refs fault or something.
    theres always an excuse with utd supporters. they just cant seem to face the fact that another team beat them fair and square.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Go WWM, first piece of sense you've made on the boards in years ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Time will tell.

There is still 90 mins to play, it will be a different story at OT.

I think United will come through this, it will be difficult but not impossible.

And if they dont, its still further than any other English side could hope to get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Is the thread starter actually a man u supporter tho?
    I thought he said he supported athletico, never aw him say he was a manu fan. If he isnt then WWM's post is senseless dribble. :p

Real Madrid are a great team but they aint invicible, far from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Originally posted by SprostonGreen
    Time will tell.

There is still 90 mins to play, it will be a different story at OT.

I think United will come through this, it will be difficult but not impossible.

And if they dont, its still further than any other English side could hope to get.

hahahahaha, oh the eternal optimism of the Man U fan, always good for a laugh.

They won't come through it because they're not good enough, and if they play anything like their pathetic attempts last Tuesday, then they are in for a good kicking at Old Trafford too.

Originally posted by TwoShedsJackson

Where allowed to be Optimistic,Recent History allows us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Originally posted by TwoShedsJackson

They won't come through it because they're not good enough, and if they play anything like their pathetic attempts last Tuesday, then they are in for a good kicking at Old Trafford too.

And where is your team in this Champions League ?

Oh thats right, they're not in it, because either they're not good enough or they were dumped out.

You're not in any postion to laugh, but carry on, I'm sure its nice and cosy on your bandwagon.

United came through against Juventus in 99, they may do it again.

Optimism ? You got that right !! Success breeds optimism !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    Go WWM, first piece of sense you've made on the boards in years ;)

sorry, i must have posted that by accident :)

Is the thread starter actually a man u supporter tho?
    I thought he said he supported athletico, never aw him say he was a manu fan. If he isnt then WWM's post is senseless dribble.

Real Madrid are a great team but they aint invicible, far from it.

sorry, where does he say he is a Real supporter?
    and, by the way, it doesnt really make any difference. this is the attitude of many a Utd supporter, so dont get all defensive just because youre cursed by it as well :)

oh, and none of my posts have ever been senseless or drivel?
    as if! ;)

And if they dont, its still further than any other English side could hope to get

you may have gotten further than any english side, but i bet you wont get further than a spanish side

Where allowed to be Optimistic,Recent History allows us.

does it?
    your recent histry reads......
    0 trophies for this year and last........

everyone can be optimistic, but i feel its better to be realistic. it avoids disappointment.

mind you, id rather see arsenal win it than Utd, and im a spurs supporter :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,297 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Gotta add my input to this thread.
    I'm both a United and Real supporter.
    I've been to Old Trafford and The Santiago Bernabeu a number of times.
    At times on Tuesday night Real played United off the pitch.
    Lovely passing ,clever football.
    However I think United were overawed by the occassion.
    They gave Real far too much space and time.
    United started well but the first goal they conceded was a sucker punch.
    After about 10 replays it is my opinion that the goal was a fluke .
    Figo's initial reaction is evident.
    Barthez should have saved it.
    As a matter of fact I think Schmeichel 99 would have kept a clean sheet.Then again he is the best keeper of all time.A legend.Please come back !
    Against Real United should have man marked Raul and Ronaldo.
    Time and time again United had lots of players back marking thin air.
    Crazy against Real.
    They attack as a unit of probably 5 players.
    By marking the front 2 tightly you only leave the 3 midfielders/wing backs free who can be tracked by the midfielders.
    United kept on easing off on Real.
    Didnt harry them or get enough tackles in.Far too much respect.Too much standing off the ball.
    Beckham and Giggs were terrible.
    Kept on drifting infield leaving huge gaps down the wings which were exploited when Neville and Silvestre were caught forward.
    Why these 2 players should have to cross is beyond me as surely that is what Beckham and Giggs are paid for.
    Real did play some exquisite football at times and made United look out of their depth but the fact remains they should have scored more than 1 goal.
    They had a hatful of chances against a very leaky Real defence.
    At this level its all about taking your chances and not giving away soft goals.Especially not 3 soft horror goals.
    John O'Shea should have started too .Fine performance.
    As for Ferdinand ,he is rubbish.Absolute ****e.No concentration.No brain.
    Raul is a sneaky player .Far too sneaky for Ferdinand and Browne.
    Zidane is a great player. On his day he is a star.
    He can turn a game for a team.The sign of greatness.
    I'm looking forward to the second leg for if United play like they did against Newcastle which was the best performance I've seen from them in 3 years it could be a classic.
    2 good teams going at it.
    Everyone benefits even the ABU's.
    Its the way football should be played.
    P.s Anyone who taught Barthez should have been sent off is a fool.
    Watch the replays .

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan

does it?
    your recent histry reads......
    0 trophies for this year and last........

everyone can be optimistic, but i feel its better to be realistic. it avoids disappointment.

mind you, id rather see arsenal win it than Utd, and im a spurs supporter :)

Well being a Spurs fan you have no choice but to be realistic :)

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

As well as Nicky Butt played, I think he should have been given a man marking job on Zidane. That is where most of United's problems arose, through Zidane.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

i can see manu beating madrid at old trafford but going through will be a hard battle

Niall Quinn may not have scored against Hierro but did he force him to give away a really bad penalty which ireland went on to score. Hierro was slated in the Spanish press for his performance and went on to announce his departure from international football two days later and even before Spain had been knocked out of the competition.

Also remember that Madrid only scored a last minute equaliser against Dortmund otherwise they were almost out of the competition and in the last game Moscow should really have equalised to again keep them out.

This weekend won't have helped and if I'm not mistaken don't they have to play Barca this weekend who look as if they might not get a European place and will be out to do as much damage as possible

>P.s Anyone who taught Barthez should have been sent off is a fool.
    Watch the replays .

What the **** are you talking about? He handled the ball deliberately outside the box. Straight red card, regardless of whether or not there was an opposition player within an ass's roar of him.

I agree though that Madrid could yet bottle the league, last night won't help, and facing Barcelona next week while Soceidad have a relatively easy homer against Vallecano makes it look even more likely. However, I also think United will lose to Arsenal (surprised to see so little here on this one) and finish runnerup in the Premiership.

United and Real Madrid turn it on in Europe though, no doubting that. They are a new type of team who hold the CL as the number one priority, often to the detriment of their league performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Gah, as much as I want Real to beat Utd I wouldn't go dismissing Utd's chances.

They have a funny habit of getting goals in the 94th min.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

They ARE gods. Although they were pummled at the weekend...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,627 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Real were excellent, at home. They played united off the park at times, scored at least one absolutely cracking goal and yet despite all that United are still in with a shout thanks to Nistlerooy - hes a playacter or a wuss, but he never gives up which is something to be admired.

Not the worst possible outcome for playing a team of demi gods in their home patch eh?

The return leg could be a legendary game or a real anti-climax depending on how the teams come out - Im still optimistic, when Real cant finish you off at home with a display like we saw and the team has a knack of scoring late goals and winning games when everyone was writing them off it might be a tad premature to bury the european cup ambitions just yet.

>it might be a tad premature to bury the european cup ambitions just yet.

United are not out of it yet obviously, but you just feel that without Scholes they will struggle. And the possibility of picking up injuries tonight is pretty high I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

hopefully veron will be fit, he coiuld show them real players how its really done :p

True Veron Saves His best games for Europe and PLaying against the Quality of Madrid Could bring out the best in him.

• Advertisement

Well,

It's all quite nicely set up for Wednesday night. Man. Utd looked very hungry during the two games since their visit to the 'pigsty', while the mighty supergalactic gods of Madrid were hammered by Real Sociedad and looked all over the place against Barca.

Can anyone really see a Real Madrid player putting the boot in like Giggs did to regain the ball for Scholes goal?

It is really going to boil down to how much fight the teams have. If Utd score early and put them under pressure Madrid will fold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

And Raul will not be playing. Now that will weaken real's attacking options a tad :rolleyes:.

Veron doesn't play a Roy Keane game effectively enough, and he doesn't play a Scholes game effectivey either. He's a nothing player, and although he might have had a goal from that volley last night, he was poor.

Advertisement