Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creating a window

Options
  • 10-04-2003 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭

I have one of these babies

Case3.jpg

It's the grey one on the right and it's made by codegen I think.
    What I wanna do is cut a great big hole in the side of the case (with rounded corners!) and put in a window.
    Here's where I need help,

What tools will I need for cutting the hole in the side?
    (And a method if you want to post it?)
    What material should I use for the window?
    (perspex, glass? Heat flow properties should be taken into account because I've no faith in the heat flow of the case!!)
    Would I be able to cut it to size myself?
    Would it be too much trouble to put a fan in the window?

All suggestions are greatly anticipated.

Raz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

That looks like a really nice case,but if ya wanna put a window on the side there are planty of guides on the net do a google search,but if ur like me and wanna do a custom diy jobby read on...

1.You will need a rotary cutting tool ( i use a dremel ) with reinforced cutting wheels.
    2.I would suggest perspex for the window cause it's kinda easy to get.
    3.you can cut the perspex easily to whatever size you want.
    4.putting a fan in the window ? Easy as pi$$ just use a drill attachment hole cutter.
    5.i used rubber car door protectors to use as 'trim' for around the window

Hope that helps a bit, i can post some more indepth pics if you like, to help you ( and me to show off )

The case looks kinda differant now from the pics i took at darkside lan V

Have to pimp it a bit more for MEGALAN.
    btw ( its an old gateway P2 450 case ) which i put a lot of work into,and turned out great ( i think ,for a first time mod )

COMBATCOW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

I have cut out an ober sexy case window jobbie, but I can't find some nice pritty bolts to hold them on.

Let me try to discribe the type of ones that I am looking for. The viewable bit is a nice rounded chrome type finish. In side there is the normal screw thread but to stop it rotating when screwing on the nut, it has a square bit near the rounded bit.

You can see why I can't find any of them anywhere!!

Soz here it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

I want to look into having a shape cut out of the side panel of my chieftec case. I was hoping to have the CS logo man cut out, and maybe hold the perspex in place with a circle of pop rivits or something. I don't know alot about the expense/tech of any cutting techniques, but like to have it cut by a pro. Anyone have any info on water cutting? Also my case is black so im not sure if the paint would crack off it during the process or what.

the logo is here http://members.boards.ie/vacilator/cslogo.jpg

Anyone ever had any water cutting done before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

That's one hell of a nice mod combatcow. I know those cases and that looks a hell of a lot better than what they ship like. I like the way you put the window in, did you use any screws at all in that?
    It's a very neat finish! (I see the screws now :))
    If you wouldn't mind posting more details on how you did it, I'd love see.
    How much would a dremel cost? and are replacement wheels if you need them?

I'm going to go peruse you pic some more to see what I can make of it :)

Bullman, I think I get what type of screws you're looking for. You would need to use them in a square hole so they'd lock in place?
    I'm gonna state the obvious, but, have you tried all the hardware shops around?

• Advertisement

Here's meh case as of today : side

Here's the front of the case ( taken today also )

Now that's some nice mods! :)

Was the LCD screen hard to do? I'm thinking of putting one into myspare 3.5" bay, but I'm not sure if it'll fit. I'm also thinking of doing a phono port mod that I saw on http://www.moddin.net
    I'll record from records :p

I've also decided to move away from the standard square window and I'm gonna do my own funky design :)
    Let me show you :)

Here's the template I'm using for the design,

template.jpg

My aunt doodled that one day and I thought, cool! Now I've finally found a use for it :D

Here's how I intend to position the template on the door of the case,

position.jpg

I might even have space left for a fan in the bottom right corner :)
    Here's the template traced out onto the door using permanent marker (I did this on the inside of the door, I think it was safer in case I botched it!! :))

sketched.jpg

Hopefully it's obvious that I'm gonna cut out the shaded parts.
    It won't be much of a looking deep inside the computer, more a "look at my cool, curvy, lit up design!!" :)
    I'm reckoning that bolts will be the best way of fixing the window to the case, due to the closeness to the edge in some places and the way it's gonna have to curve around that handle-like indent.
    I'm gonna keep a record of how theis goes and I'll start uploading it as I go, but I need to get some tools first!

Oh and one more question Combatcow, whats that little black circle in the bottom left of your window? Is it the PC speaker?
    Dremel here I come :)

The little circle is a switch for the 2 blue cold cathode tubes,tiz very handy,I just took this pic 10min's ago after buying new IDE cables in maplin,they look great.

I got the LCD temperature monitor in maplins,it's suppost to be for lian li case's ,it runs off two small batteries which is good, you can get smaller 1's for 3.5 bay's aswell.

Wow Raz that design looks really great but it's gonna take a steady hand and a long time to do i'd say , good luck with it,should look v.funky when it's finished.:)

Have to tidy up the cables b4 megalan tho. ;)

COMBATCOW

• Advertisement

A switch for the cathodes! Why didn't I think of that!
    Did that require any special work or did you just stick a switch in the middle of the wire to the cathode?

I'll have a look for the LCD displays during the week if I can manage it.

I pray to God my hand will prove steady enough. I can't wait to get the tools so I can get started. Only 2 weeks to my first pay day! :D

I've taken loads more pics of stuff I've started to Mod. I'm gonna start a little website in a few days and I'm calling it, EasyMod :)
    Hows that!! :p
    I'm taking it from a completely beginners perspective so it's basically gonna follow me as I develop my system and add new features and stuff :)

MegaLan! I wish!! It's likely that I won't have a working PC by that stage. I still don't even have a motherboard :p

Raz
    I've taken loads more pics of stuff I've started to Mod. I'm gonna start a little website in a few days and I'm calling it, EasyMod

Sound's great,good luck with it,''and remember theres no more important safety rule than to wear these safety glasses'' seriously tho b careful with the dremel.tiz mad i tell ya.

The cold cathodes were in a kit i got from maplin ( again ) and contained x2 cold cathode tubes ( 1x blue + 1x ultraviolet ) an inverter and on/off switch,i actually bought a second kit which was on special offer @ the weekend ( nearly worked out cheeper than just buying a single tube ) just for the blue cold cathode,your welcome to have the x2 ultraviolet 1's and all the cables/switch and inverter if ya like.:)

COMBATCOW

Well I've set up the basic shape of the website and I'm working on getting a look for it. I probably won't have anything up for public viewing until next week :( But hopefully it'll be good :)

If anyone else has documented a mod they've done and would like to put it up I'd be happy to help. You can e-mail them to me at goaz@redbrick.dcu.ie

If you havn't got them in HTML that's fine, I can manage that much :)
    I'm gonna have to learn javascript or something so I can make the site all fancy :p

If that offer of the UV and cables/switch/inverter is going, I'll jump on it :D
    Just let me know how I can get my hands on them :D

Pm'd you raz

COMBATCOW

Originally posted by Combatcow
    Pm'd you raz

COMBATCOW

And I've replied :)

sorted.:D

COMBATCOW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

heres my cheaper version of Combatcows window hehe :)
    Ordered the blue cathode today

Might get me some tools today :)
    Have to consider my money situation first.
    I havn't gotten to far with the website yet as I've had a very busy week and there's been some unforntunate circumstances that affected my ability to get any work done on it.
    So I'm planning a launch next week. I hope everyone is on the edge of their seats :p

Ruu; kinda hard to make stuff out in you're picture but I think I see the window :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ManWithThePlan

Good luck with that funky mod Raz. :)

I too am considering cutting a window into my case, so don't forget to post up that site you're making about how you got on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

i know, the pics was only taken with the webcam, it still needs work, got the cold cathode neon lamp today and its taking shape, good luck with ur modding :)

• Advertisement

I havn't got all that much done on the website yet. This week hasn't been the best for it. It looks kinda bland but that should be offset by the functionality and content of the site.
    I'll have a pretty functional draft done up and posted by about Wednesday next week I think.
    Here's a sneak preview of what it'll look like.
    You may notice that I have Combatcows name up the top. That's because I've asked him to join in but he hasn't confirmed whether he will or not yet.

I've just gotten back from Dublin after spending roughly €160 on goodies today :D
    So what did get for my hard earned cash you might ask?
    Well you can discount the optical mouse and the 20 CDRs for a start due to their lack of modding neccessity. That puts me back to a respectible €105.

I picked up a few nice modding accessories though,

From B&Q (Liffey Valley);
    Perspex sheet (2' x 4' x 2mm) = €14
    Drill bits for metal (4mm & 4.5mm) = €8
    Drill Mandrel (needed for hole cutter) = €8
    Hole cutting bit (70mm) = €16
    Nuts and Bolts (4mm) = €5
    Junior Hacksaw = €5
    10 Hacksaw Blades = €5
    Crosshead Screwdriver = €7
    6piece File Set = €4
    6" Steel Ruler = €4
    Metallic Black Spray Paint = €9

From Peats (Parnell st.);
    80mm Red LED Fan = €13
    Fan Grill 80mm (paid for 2, got 3 :D) = €8

It was quite interesting sitting outside the B&Q shop trying to cut in half the 4 foot sheet of perspex!!! :D Made it a lot easier to carry though.
    You may (or not!) have noticed that a dremel doesn't feature in my nice list. That's because B&Q decided they didn't want them in their (HUGE!!) shop anymore. So now I'm gonna have to wait that little bit longer before I can start mincing my case :(
    You might be wondering (also) what I'm doing with black spray paint ....... I've decided my case needs a new look, so my color scheme has been decided as Red and Black. Just like the dangerous animal it will be :p

I met up with Combatcow yesterday and have gave me a Cold Cathode kit with inverter, 2 UV bulbs and a switch which he bought extra himself!!
    A big, no ... HUGE ... Thank You to Combatcow :)
    Thank You, Thank You, Thank You :)
    It put me a big leap forward in my case modding project (which I have just decided to call Venom :D)
    So watch this space :p

I've decided to go with the jigsaw instead of the dremel. I wonder will this make it easier or more difficult.

I picked up a Black&Decker one with variable speed (Can slow it down for cutting perspex!) and it cost me €45. I added some blades to the package for €8 and I went home happy :)
    There's something about going into a hardware shop that makes wanna buy all the cool tools so I'll be able to do any kind of DIY job in the world!! Grrrrrr........ Manly :D

So my grand total on my modding equipment is now up to €213.
    Just think, I coulda had a top of the line motherboard for that, or a fancy P4 2.4Ghz CPU. :rolleyes: Ohwell. At least this stuff won't be obsolete in a year!! And I'll have one hell of a fancy shamncy case :p

Raz
    It was quite interesting sitting outside the B&Q shop trying to cut in half the 4 foot sheet of perspex!!! Made it a lot easier to carry though.

Huh dude ur crazy,i have one more super secret idea for my existing case,then im gonna move on to a new project quite soon - within 2-3 weeks i'll start it,should be fun gettin into some seroius modding again,gotta trawl the net for some funky ideas first.will prob be a media box for the sitting room ( for films )

Good luck with the jigsaw, should cut through the aluminium quite easy,red N black sounds sweet, for the color scheme.

COMBATCOW

I saw one or two mods where guys made PC's outta coffee tables. I think it's actually a really good idea. How often do you eat an drink while at you computer?
    You'd also have loads space to put stuff cos you wouldn't have a great big case taking up most of the real estate.
    I might try that myself some time. :)
    I saw it in the case archive of www.moddin.net

I've just finished my first REAL foray into the world of modding. I've added an extra fan to my PSU. It doesn't look too bad, but it eas scary as hell cutting the hole.
    I had the PSU cover held in place on a workbench using the stops that you place through the holes. No clamps!
    To my absolute terror the cover went flying off the bench and across the garage as I was using the hole cutting bit for the drill.
    It cracked me on the hand as a parting "piss off!" before it decided to hit the wall and bounce around a bit. I decided to get the protective gear.
    After that blatant attack I couldn't let it go unpunished so I whipped it back up onto the bench and put the drill to it again. This time I got through part of it before it took the jump.
    After one more try I decided to use the jigsaw I got. That was bloody scary too! But more from the noise it was making than anything else. Got that hole made eventually though!
    So after this little experiment I give the heartfelt advice of "CLAMPS"! Use 'em or be prepare for flying noisy pieces of metal!

Anyway a pic of the finished product is attached. I hope everyone haas learned something from my little jaunt.

LOL raz.modding is a scary when there is metal flying around the room.the jigsaw is crazy aint it,it jerks worse than a two doller w**re.The psu mod looks great,i'll post some pics of my secret project on friday if everthing go's to plan.

COMBATCOW

Well I've done all the cutting work on my case so far. I still have to do a bit of filing and a bit of wiring for the leds I'm hookin up but apart from that I'm pretty much finished. I screw the window in place and sit back and admire :)

Here's a peek at how my cutting turned out. It's a bit dodgy in places but on the whole it turned out alright, if not the most professional. :)

A note on the website, it turns out I'm a lazy ass bitch so it'll take a while longer b4 I get anything worth publishing up on the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Wow.. Great job on that cutting Raz.. looks fantastic. Did you just use a jigsaw for that???

Keep up the work man, and keep this thread updated. Its giving me an itch to get started on one of my own...

• Advertisement

Yeah, just the jigsaw :)
    It was a bit awkward though. There was quite a few bumps and lums on the inside of the panel which made it hell using the jigsaw because the base had to be lifted a bit which then made the panel vibrate like mad and quite a few times made it bend quite viciously. :(
    If you look at the pic again you'll notice (if you havn't already) how lumpy the panel looks due to those bends.
    I'm hoping it won't be a noticeable once I paint it but that might be a bit niaive (i think that's how you spell it!! :))
    Also the thin strip at the bottom right of the design broke at one point so I decided to cut it off completely. Doesn't look too bad though. Everything will be just fine :p

And thanks for the encouragement. I was actually getting a bit disheartened and thought nobody really gave a crap. So thanks for letting me know at least one person is interested :)

Advertisement