Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THE COOPER TEMPLE CLAUSE at WHELAN'S...

Options
  • 10-04-2003 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭

THE COOPER TEMPLE CLAUSE
    with support: CORRIGAN

Friday 25 April - Whelan’s of Wexford Street - 8pm - Tickets 15.50 (incl. booking fee)

Formed in the late 90’s in Reading (“There’s NO scene in Reading...you’re out on your own here”), The Cooper Temple Clause formed to a backdrop of satellite-town melancholia, day-job hell and late night violence - such a background to fuel what would become TCTC for each of these six individuals. After a glut of singles and EPs, they finally released “Let’s Kill Music” in 2001, while on tour with Muse (“they’re trying to bring a sense of adventure back to music”). Less than a year later, they entered the studio to start the sessions for their debut album. Recorded in Bath with producer Paul Corkett at the controls (whose credits include Nick Cave, Suede and Placebo), “See This Through And Leave” is a rampant, charged opener from TCTC - a full-on and angular blend of “spite and anger”, experimental bleeps and breaks and rock action.

Despite the occasional blast of bravado, TCTC have drawn comparisons as diverse as Primal Scream, The Verve, The Stone Roses, Led Zeppelin and MC5, though they would position themselves closer to the likes of Lift To Experience and ...Trail Of Dead in the rock family tree. On listening to “See This Through And Leave”, TCTC exude a depth and latitude (squalling keys, walls of guitar, wistful vocals song wearily over strings) that belies pretty much any influence.

“We’re just sick of hearing bad music on the radio...we don’t slag off other bands - we just make better music”.

Fighting talk. Such was the band’s reaction when “Let’s Kill Music” - one of the first singles from Reading’s THE COOPER TEMPLE CLAUSE - broke the Top 40 in 2001.

THE COOPER TEMPLE CLAUSE play Whelan’s of Wexford Street on Friday 25th April, with support from CORRIGAN. Doors 8pm, tickets 15.50 available from Road Records, Sound Cellar and Ticketmaster outlets nationwide.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

oh my...whelans?! they'd pack out the place!!!

jeepers creepers, there is a gigsmart party on that night too...what to do....dag nabbit...i'm sure time will decide for me

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Richie

Who are Corrigan?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Joe Corrigan used to play in net for Man City I think

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

Thers so many Coopers will they all fit on the stage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭madouva

Originally posted by biZrb
    Thers so many Coopers will they all fit on the stage?

...and that is where the fun will start...

• Advertisement

They will probably clear some space, like at Witnness last year. Take glasses back to bar (sort of) move the tables (sort of)

6 of them? Ahh it'll be grand.
    Or quite amusing as they'll probably end up knocking each other off the stage...

Didz is recovering from a bursted(is that a word?) appendix so I guess he'll be taking it easy.
    As for Ben, well dont get too close... dont say I didnt warn you!!

don't miss it...

TOM E. BROWN will be chatting with The Cooper Temple Clause this Friday (tomorrow night) on PHANTOM FM between 7pm and 9pm (probably around 7.30pm)...

• Advertisement

Cant wait for the gig.... No sseriously, cant wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭spoiltbrat

Originally posted by Richie
    Who are Corrigan?

I think they're a pretty decent rock outfit from the north of our sacred country - I haven't heard anything by them but I've heard a lot about them from some folks who know. Bit of a crap name maybe but they sure know how to rock 'up north'.

He has been described as "the Damien Dempsey of the North", but I'm not sure how accurate that is. I think the quote refers less to music and more to attitude.

Not that THAT makes any sense either!

Advertisement