Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get rid of XP, replace with 2000

Options
  • 10-04-2003 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

I have installed on my computer an oem version of that festering pile of buffalo **** known as XP home edition. I partitioned my drive using partition magic, and have a C: drive with programs etc on it, and an E: drive with documents and divx's etc on it. Can I move important files over to the E: drive, then fully format the C: drive, and install WIndows 2000 on it? Backup onto CD isn't an option as the E: drive has at last count over 30GB of data on it, that I would really like to keep. Can I just format the C: drive and install 2000, or does the whole physical disk have to be formatted for such an operation.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well, shouldn't be a problem as long as the file system on your E-drive is compatible with 2K. i.e. Wasn't the NTFS format updated for Windows XP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

No change with the file system, afaik. You can format C: only and reinstall - God knows I've done it often enough, and kept my big kickass mp3/downloads partition intact.

You really can't stand XP that much? Turn off the higgledy jiggledy effects and there's not that much difference. It's much quicker at shutting down and starting up, which is a big factor for impatient me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

I have all the effects turned off, and have shut down the services that I do not need. It still bugs me, don't know why. And the Windows directory takes up 1.3GB on disk. And I have lost my oem disk, and the manufacturer won't supply me with a replacement even though I have a valid product key. So I will just install 2000 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

AFAIK there shouldn't be any problem with that. physically its one drive, but logically, its two. just before you format, make sure you can see both c: and e: (you know, just to be sure) then format c:
    install Win2k and there ya have it. bob's your uncle, and Fanny's your Aunt! an extra gig, less hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

XP = 2K with more effects, more tools, more drivers and more hardware support.

I dont see the difference and i prefer it to 2K any day.. I used to always turn off the themes though recently i started using them again and have some nice ones running at work and at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

yea, just copy all you stuff you need onto the 2nd partition and use partition magic to format C: in whatever filesystem you want

an OS only needs a parition to work, provided you have the MBR config'd. Setup will do all this crap for you.

Insert 2k install disk and simmer for 35mins approx :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

" used to always turn off the themes though recently i started using them again and have some nice ones running at work and at home."

where did you get the xp themes if you don't mind me asking? all i've got is luna which i put in silver but i'd like to try something else, i don't use the classic crap.

cheers
    data

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

For themes i suggest u go to http://www.themexp.org/
    And use StyleXP available on http://www.tgtsoft.com/

Pretty nifty themes there.
    And if ya dont like XP or want the detailed approach to 2K get
    Win Longhorn :) Heres what it looks like on my machine.
    http://members.lycos.co.uk/knightsteam/desktop2.jpg

cheers diabolus looks fairly cool,

off topic is delta force black hawk down any good?

U saw that in the Start Bar ya?

Yep if you enjoyed the film (which i did immesly!) then u will love the game. The mission from the film Codenamed "Irene" is also part of it. Very good FPS. Also u get a bonus mission to go back to Mog 3 yrs later and kill Adid! Oh my was that fun. Ya game is definitely good!

• Advertisement

cheers diabolus now at the risk of the thread starter killing me checking out the xp themes and finding these logon screen changers which look fairly cool just wondering is it possible to change back to the default after?

Yes Definitely. Changing back to Default is a must at times and is available with Style XP. It manages your Themes\Backgrounds\Logins\Styles all in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

XP = 2K with more effects, more tools, more drivers and more hardware support.

Saruman

do ever stop talking crap about xp :-)

i seen the same post in a few threads

Advertisement