Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading the CPU on a Gateway E3400

• 10-04-2003 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Hi everyone,

just wondering if anyone has any experience in upgrading the CPU on a GW E3400 (PIII 800 MHz)? According to the system documentation, the CPU socket is a PGA370 (I've no clue what this means) and I've been looking on Komplett, and saw the maximum PIII processor that they have is a PIII 1.4GHz, which is a socket FC-PGA370 and as far as I gather, my motherboard isn't capable of handling a P4 CPU, so I'll leave that for now.

Now my question, will this FC-PGA370 version of the processor work on my old GW machine? Or would I then also have to look into getting a new motherboard (and then a faster processor)?

Hope this was clear enough and thanks for all and any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

As far as I can see that should work, but that processor is very expensive €255.96. Did you look at the "Bundles/Upgrades" section?

You can get,
    Upgrade Kit AMD XP2100+1.733GHz 256mbDDR- MSI mobo, AMD XP CPU, PC2700 DDR & Fan
    For about €5 less!! -- €251.29
    Have a look! The addition of the DDR Ram and XP processor will create a far more obvious boost in system performance than just a P3 processor. Add to that a much better MB which probably includes USB 2.0 on board digital sound amoung other high spec features and you're onto a winner! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

If you're gonna go with the full upgrade you should take these points into consideration,

1) Does your PC case conform to the ATX form factor? Necessary for fitting the motherboard.

2) Is you're power supply strong enough? For this kinda upgrade you'd need to be at about 250 -> 300W.

3) If you need a new power supply make sure it fits your case. (ATX again!)

4) If you've no experience fitting a CPU then look it up. The manufacturer should have some details on their site but you'll be able find out elsewhere aswell.

5) If you do decide to go for the full upgrade and to fit the CPU yourself then BE CAREFUL! AMD cpu cores get damaged very easily, apparently.

If you want to get an idea of Kompletts customer service go to their boards.ie forum (community/comercial interaction/komplett)

Hope that's enough :p

[edit]I'm kinda getting carried away with this but what the heck, you'll hopefully benefit :D
    Info on the motherboard in that package [/edit]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Hankster

Thanks for the info, and you're probably right, I should go for some sort of full upgrade kit - damn those Intel CPUs are expensive! :eek:

Although I'm pretty sure the case does conform to the ATX stuff, the way Gateway decided to do the layout the MSI motherboard wouldn't fit, becuase the serial ports, ppt etc would be in the wrong location (or does this matter?). I may have to look into getting a new case, PSU etc. so!

Thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

word of advice on gateways. they mobo is a bi*ch to remove! You might have to break the mainboard to remove it. Plus saying that, i've never used a different type of mainboard in the gateway cases, might not be compatiable! Someone else might know if others will work with it. Have you got the tower or teh desktop case?
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Originally posted by Leggo
    word of advice on gateways. they mobo is a bi*ch to remove! You might have to break the mainboard to remove it. Plus saying that, i've never used a different type of mainboard in the gateway cases, might not be compatiable! Someone else might know if others will work with it. Have you got the tower or teh desktop case?

WTF are you talking about? Break the motherbard? Your kidding right? Ive never managed to do that yet!

hankster: the max your board will take is 1.1Ghz, and that depends on the Rev of your board. I wouldnt chance it with the 1.4Ghz, too expensive anyway. That aside, no AGP means you cant run a decent graphics card :(

The case looks a bit odd and at best will limit you to a Micro ATX board.

hers a link to the PDF:

http://support.gateway.com/s/manuals/servers/eseries/8505957.pdf
    If you are thinking of upgrading, I would reccomend you save yourself possible hassle and get a new case and PSU.

• Advertisement

i've never broken the motherboard either, but i've being very tempted to rip the fu*king thing out before. the crappy gateways we have at work seem to be firmly fixed to the case, not using screws or conventional methods. It takes a lot of force to remove the feckers, maybe theres some tiny little latches i'm missing. anywho just my experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Originally posted by Leggo

Funny Leggo man but impossible on this model!
    All you do to take out mobo is pull a lever... thats all!!! It slides out from a riser card! Which is why he CANT add a new mobo without changing case and all. Did you BUY this for a home PC Hankster???? Its a business workstation piece of integrated crap!! Oh and Leggo i have removed every Gateway mobo in about 2 mins... Stop talking crap they are piss easy and since they are ATX usually on descktops, they are standard... nothing to it.. the only thing is SOME PII's had the chip screwed through the mobo into case too with an odd allen key like thing... that was it!

Anyway you easilly go to 1ghz on it as Gateway sold up to that with it!! Once its a socket 370 PIII cpu it should be fine. Seriously though if its for a home PC.. get rid!!

SouperComputer there is in fact AGP and its NOT Micro ATX! Its NLX tool-less format and the AGP is half heigth.. so it has to be modified to fit if it can be.

Raz has the best idea.. get a bundle and also a case!!

SouperComputer - actually the board I have does have an AGP slot, at least I hope that's what my graphics card is stuck in!! :D

Saruman - yes it's a business workstation, but all in all, I'm actually quite happy with it. But as you yourself said, I'll probably have to go with Raz's advice and get a new case and such if I really want to upgrade.

Now, does anyone recommend a case for the motherboard Raz mentioned? Will a standard ATX case do? Plus I'm assuming I'll also need to get a more powerful PSU - again at least 300 Watts as per Raz's recommendation?

Thanks again!

Get it all from Komplett... lots of good cases and they come with a 300 watt min psu usually...

when you are done you will still have a workstation left.. unless you get drives too it will be empty.. network em.. install crap on the workstation like linux or something and just use it as a crash PC for mucking about with. Or sell but better off just as a crash PC

Cool, thanks.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Saruman
    Funny Leggo man but impossible on this model!
    All you do to take out mobo is pull a lever... thats all!!! It slides out from a riser card! Which is why he CANT add a new mobo without changing case and all. Did you BUY this for a home PC Hankster???? Its a business workstation piece of integrated crap!! Oh and Leggo i have removed every Gateway mobo in about 2 mins... Stop talking crap they are piss easy and since they are ATX usually on descktops, they are standard... nothing to it.. the only thing is SOME PII's had the chip screwed through the mobo into case too with an odd allen key like thing... that was it!

Anyway you easilly go to 1ghz on it as Gateway sold up to that with it!! Once its a socket 370 PIII cpu it should be fine. Seriously though if its for a home PC.. get rid!!

SouperComputer there is in fact AGP and its NOT Micro ATX! Its NLX tool-less format and the AGP is half heigth.. so it has to be modified to fit if it can be.

Raz has the best idea.. get a bundle and also a case!!

eh i wasn't talking about that model, but the model i work with. their towercases and the mobo is a complete and utter bi*ch to remove. No levers no obvious screws. these things are f*ckin welded in ! lol i have one or two people that i'll back me up on this, that have tried.

Yeah? What model Leggo? Sounds odd.. unless like i said its ye olde PII's... Usually they are very simple... going back as far as 98 here by the way and not new tool less systems!

Advertisement