Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband In SE County Meath?

Options
  • 10-04-2003 2:04pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I live about 2km from Dunshaughlin in County Meath, and like us all in dire need for Broadband. Im currently on uber-expensive ISDN which just doesnt cut it anymore!

Ive signed the new EsatBT broadband form and given in me details, of course it sayz that broadband aint available in my area:(

Is there anyone else who reads this forum living near me or know about the state of future broadband expansion into my area? I know ESAT have started DSL in Navan which is no good for me but what are the chances of getting BB in Dunshaughlin does anyone know?

Im hoping that ESATS new residential offering is what i'll eventually get coz I hear that Eircoms DSL is crap for gaming and thats what I'd use it mostly for to get pings of like 30-40 on UK Servers. I currently get pings of 45-60 on UK servers with my bog standard ISDN so Eircom ADSL with its 80+ping would be a step back for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭niallb

Hi Gonzo,
    what direction from Dunshaughlin are you?

I'm out the Kilcock Rd about 8km from Dunshaughlin myself.
    ISDN installed in 4 days, but no DSL!

There are a number of people interested in wireless links between the Ratoath, Ashbourne and possibly Skryne areas.
    That might spread the net for catching a broadband link.

NiallB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

if eircom was your only option, i wouldnt hesitate to get it, just because u have a larger ping, doesnt really mean it would be worse,

all because u have way more bandwidth to play with, with games like counter strike and such it would really come into its own and even with isdn giving lower, the registry would be worse, adsl would be extremely better, u dont need that sub 40 ping, although it would be nice :D

baz

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I live Ratoath side of Dunshaughlin, slightly more than 2km from the centre of the village. A few people in my area have filled out the Esat broadband form to show interest so hopefully they'll do sommat about us gettin DSL eventually. thres about 5,000/6,000 people in the general area id reckon... thats gud enuff to get the exchange upgraded methinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 joetighe

www.icecomms.net is your best bet

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

oldposts.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Joe, enough already! It's not much help recommending a BB provider years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭niallb

Still Regional Coordinator for Group Broadband Schemes in Meath, Kildare and Wicklow Joe ?

Gonzo's had a DSL connection since February 2004. Sound advice indeed.

NiallB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Niall, point made already.. locking this puppy up

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement