Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need more PCI slots

• 10-04-2003 3:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭

I've run out of PCI slots in my dell, what's the best (cheapist) way of getting some more?

Is there some sort of external bay I can buy, or do I just need a bigger PC?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

You could buy external peripherals like and external modem or soundcard. That kinda stuff or else get a new motherboard.
    Anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Yea, but the thing is, I already have the hardware from an older PC, I want to move accross the video card for an extra monitor and a winTV card I bought ages ago.

Fvcking Dell anyway... four slots!! FS! The old machine has seven!
    ...maybe I can fuse them together somehow...

and if that doesn't work, then...
    I VILL KIELL ZEM ALL VITH MEH L33T NINJA SKILLZ!! :ninja: :ninja:

.....ninja smilies.. how very fun :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

four consider yourself lucky i've got three, modem, soundcard and a blower, what motherboard gave you seven pci slots? latest ones i've seen has 6 max? and i would be interested in more for my next pc

Well, on closer inspection it has five. The other two are of a different variety...

So this is a common problem then? ...that makes me feel a bit better :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

typically manufactures i don't think issue full or even midi size towers but the mini ones that only have to front 5 1/4 inch bays and perhaps 3 pci slots. Five pci slots is quite respectable if you look at most motherboard manufacturers today most only give 5 slots, to the best of my knowledge one manufacture uses 6, i think it is abit but can't be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I have a P4 motherboard the Epox 4BDA2+ and it has 6 PCI slots. I think they recommend you don't use the PCI slot beside the AGP slot, and the AGP slot at the same time. Though I think you can if you're stuck. It might cause problems though. I'm using 4 of them at the moment. Network card, Modem, Sound card, GFX card. Since you can get all this integral on most motherboards these days, they tend to have less slots.

I've seen cases that added more PCI slots in an external box, like a tower case, but that was years ago. But haven't seen them lately. Incidentally I've a Mac here that has 6 slots too. A 9500. Bit unusual in the Mac world too aparently. What model Dell do you have BTW?

It's a Dimension 4300.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I dont know... PCI slots seem a thing of the past these days... most of mine are taken up with Cooling extractors... the only 3 i have are Sblive, Creative DXR3 dvd decoder (dont use any more) and Network card. I think i have 5 on my Asus A7v333. More than enough. there is no way to add more to your PC without a new board and even then does your case have the slots in the back?? Probably not. Just change your hardware!!! You dont need all that crap you want to put in... There are plenty of alternatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

Some of the more feature loaded boards you can get will give you an AGP, 6 PCI and a CNR (Communications Network Riser). You can get these kinda boards from Intel and MSI and the like (I845PE and MS-655max I think are 2 examples)
    But these kinda boards will most likely have gigabyte lan, 5.1 onboard sound USB2.0 and a few other nifties :)
    With those kinda features you should have more than enough space to expand.
    But that's a bit OT.
    You could put your old MB into your dimension but it mightn't fit just right (I/O plate might be custom made for dells), and it'll more likely be of a lower spec, downgrading your performance.
    IMO once you reach your limit in PCI slots you then will have to move to external peripherals or else start replacing the cards you already have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Originally posted by Goodshape
    Yea, but the thing is, I already have the hardware from an older PC, I want to move accross the video card for an extra monitor and a winTV card I bought ages ago.

Give us a list of all devices that are using PCI. So far your are using PCI Graphics Card and winTV Card. What else exactly.
    Well, on closer inspection it has five. The other two are of a different variety...

ISA or EISA Slots maybe?

• Advertisement

Well, PCI are the most common ones yea? Hope I haven’t gotten the name wrong :rolleyes:

Anyway, I've got a graphics card, sound card, network card and modem. With a second graphics card and a WinTV card I'd like to get in there as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

looks like you'll be needin a new mobo. Either that or get external modem/sound. Eh what do you need the second graphics card for?

The second graphics card is for a second monitor. Quite handy when editing video, which I tend to do a lot.

I don't think I'll be splashing out for a new mother board any time soon.... or any new external hardware. I'll just have to do without such luxuries for now.

(:ninja:)

The Dells don't have a standard ATX PSU, motherboard or case. So you can't swap the motherboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

nah, you can bastarise some dells. I had a dell PSU running a siemens board with no fuss for about 6 months

Originally posted by SouperComputer
    nah, you can bastarise some dells. I had a dell PSU running a siemens board with no fuss for about 6 months

Perhaps the siemens board was non standard too? Some of them have the ATX pins switched around and you can buy an adapter for them. For others you can't. Some of them are standard ATX boards but most of them aren't.

Hit the Dell Forums for the exact story on the 4300's. The 4300 I had for a while definately didn't have a ATX compatible PSU, motherboard, or case. But they seem to vary greatly. I have an old P60 which is AT but then a bunch of PII and PIII machines that are all non ATX.

I did hear rumours that they had switched back to standard parts recently in the US. I know my friends new Dell workstation isn't ATX either. So maybe it depends on your exact machine.

Delltalk is where to find out though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

I also ran it on a gateway, asus and soyo board at some stage. I used it because it was quiet!

Did notice a strange noise with some Dell PSU's when mixed though, this one seemed fine.

sheggin OEM's
    :mad:

Advertisement