Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV3; The Good the Bad, and the Ugly

• 10-04-2003 4:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭

I'll start with the good. The Cork City-St Pat's game this Saturday evening promises to be a corker. With a professional presentation, and by that I mean Trevor Welsh doing what he does best, presenting, not commentating, with a studio and at least one guest, it could be the start of a new era for the league, and might yield them decent advertising money that RTE would dearly love. We can only hope that the fans, players, and staff realise the importance of the game, and put on a spectacle.

By the bad, I mean Trevor Welsh as commentator. Apart from definitely being partial to Man United, I think he lacks a basic footballing brain that George Hamilton, for just one example, definitely has. Even TV3's out of favour commentator Conor Moloney has the flair that is sadly lacking in Trevor's commentary. Trevor is a sound bloke, and is well-suited to the Bill O Herlihy role, but he's obviously the boss of the operation who gets to commentate if and when he wants. This is poor for the coverage. For example, the camera showed the Juve owner?President last night. A Motty or even a Hamilton would have been able to tell us who he is, and perhaps what his business interests are, but at the very least his name. I could go on, but I'd bore people even more than I'm currently doing.

By the ugly, I mean Frank Stapleton. I won't get really started on him, but suffice to say there are far more knowledgeable people out there who could fill the role a lot more professionally.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭joey D

I reckon Packie Bonner seems at times very uncomfortable reading from an autocue, plus his delivery of questions is so obviously rehearsed / staged. He's saved occasionally Lawro, who is generally fairly solid.
    Welch is definitely a better presenter than a commentator. Stapleton has become even funnier than Barry Murphy's parody, he's completely one-dimensional. Toshack is an absolute nightmare, where do I begin? His co-commentary on the Utd v Real game was more horrific than United's midfield collapse.
    There's nothing worse than when (during a game) the camera moves to someone on the bench or in the stands, who is clearly famous and or relevant to the game, and it's glaringly obvious the commentator hasn't a clue who he/she is and just keeps quiet.
    I also think the editing isn't as good as when RTE had CL coverage - the montages are sloppily put together with old or inappropriate music.

That's my 2 cents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Agree with the bizarre and terrible choice of music for the promos, but disagree on Toshack.
    His knowledge of the game is excellent, he has a monotone alright, but thats a needly issue when he talks such sense on the game. He might have looked unsuitable to partner Trevor in the commentary box though, because he actually knows something about the game. An example was when Real should have had a peno, I don't know what angle Trevor saw it from, but he remarked he thought it wasnt a peno, but Toshack interrupted him with a cry of "difinite penalty". He even raised his voice. Trevor shup up after that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

In general I would say that TV3's coverage of soccer - in this I mean the presentation - is a joke. The commentating and the studio pieces are dreadful and to be honest I don't know how Mark L. can bear to be part of it - must be the money.

One episode particularily sticks in my mind. I think Trevor was presenting a CL game and one of his questions contained an analogy between one of the teams and the IRA - I nearly fell off my seat and Mark L. nearly had a baby ;)

Hyzepher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Originally posted by Bateman
    An example was when Real should have had a peno, I don't know what angle Trevor saw it from, but he remarked he thought it wasnt a peno, but Toshack interrupted him with a cry of "difinite penalty". He even raised his voice. Trevor shup up after that.

Perfect example that exactly somes up the plight of TV3 commentary. Trevor Welsh has little if no knowledge of the game. I LOL when Toshack yelled so loudly and shut Trevor up.

Trevor is more of a TV personality (by that I mean in the studio presenting) because poor old Packie seems awful nervous and as ye said like as if he was studying a script before he came on air.

Lawro is very good and has a great insight into the game. The rest are sh1t. Stapelton and Moran particularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

Packie
    Frank S
    Kevin Moran
    Aldrige
    Tosack

Oh my god how bad can tv covereage get!!! All brutal

Does anyone know what they're getting paid. Eamon and Giles are getttin feckin loads. Cant remember exact figure

:D

• Advertisement

Dunphy and Giles have plenty of other interests with which to pay the bills. The don't have to rely on RTE. Welsh though, is a fulltime employee and I would guess head of sport at TV3. On a packet, but probably well under 6 figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Eamo Gilesy and Liam Brady are very good in the studio. In the history of Irish soccer productions, this is the only thing either RTE or TV3 have got right. All their commentators are awful, and all other studio " experts " are awful. That is why I am happy that Sky are buying up the rights to more events.

i'm sorry but did you say you were happy to see sky buy up more and more rights!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well im sure you'll also be happy to pay the pricks as much as they ask for to watch.

Shut the **** up Mighty Mouse. We actually DO pay RTE's wages, and they don't gove us what we want. We have a choice of whether or not we pay Sky or not, and if they provide a quality service (which they do, saturation aside), then whats so unbelievable about that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

TV3 is TV Hell....thank gawd the CL is back on RTE next year. That said if 3 were showing a EL game involving Waterford Utd then I guess I'd be duty-bound to sit and suffer.

Mike.

• Advertisement

Shut the **** up Mighty Mouse

Who the **** do you think you are you cocky prick.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I know exactly who *I* think I am and if see any more of that kinda language out of you (plural, but particularly Mighty Mouse) I know exactly where I'll put my size 9.

Thanks! Hugz!

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

TV3 are absolutely terrible. anyone remember Trevor Walsh on Cork Multi Channels local sports programme. he was terrible then too. i look forward to watching on Sky and ITV next year. ITV not being all that great either are a league above TV3 though. Sky know how to do a sports programme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

i'm sorry but did you say you were happy to see sky buy up more and more rights!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is exactly what I said. Funnily enogh most other Sky subscribers to this forum seem to agree with me. There productions are far better then anyone elses. The day I think they are charging too much is the day I will stop subscribing. Personally, I have no issue paying a few extra quid for a better quality in every department.

particularly Mighty Mouse

:confused:

Oh thats just great!! I'm hardly in the door and I get a warning!!!

But it's also fine. I will resist typing everything that crosses my mind, from now on!:D
    Originally posted by Bateman
    Shut the **** up Mighty Mouse.

Bateman, I respect your point of view and will hold it dear to my heart.

I will forever treasure it, and any other valuable advice you may have to offer.

I hope you can accept my sincere apology for the offending remark I made. I hope i didn't hurt your feelings and want you to know that any hurt I caused to you, hurts me doubly,

in my aching heart.

Please know DEV that I now understand that Bateman never ment insult towards me. I clearly over-reacted to a simple but kind piece of advice from Bateman.

I realise now that I mis-read the situation and shouldn't of reacted in the manner I did.

Finally, I want to thank you for your understanding in realising that my comment was one made purely out of rashness. One which I would 'think' of never mind write again.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

now that's sarcasm !

:ninja: karate chop!

Did yis see Chippy Brady crackin a joke on the Premiership last Sat !!! He half-smiled aswell. I was in shock, if only I could recall what he said...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Best -

Been able to see CL for free
    2 CL matches a week
    Eircom league

Worst-

Cannot commentate
    Mono Tone commentators
    Boring commentators
    Getting players name wrong

Fk it, we would miss the coverage if the turned it off
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

What amazes me is that this bog standard crap has been going on for years and nothing has been done about it.
    How do bosses in TV3 and RTE see these programs as ad revenue and pay as little as possible??
    Giles and Dunphy are basically crap and are only watched in the vain hope they might perform a trick on camera or have a little argument or somfin thats not Football presentation thats Tv entertainment.

Next i cant wait till Sky get Cl and then see how the worlds greatest club competition should be shown. RTE and tv3 have been fekking this up for years and with rumours of a 4 matches a NIGHT on Sky and the option to have 4 little boxes with 4 different Games on Sky Active so if Man Utd are playing Basle and Real are playing Milan i can actually watch the Real game ,very sweet methinks and worth the subbie for it.

I pay Sky for the football and i am very happy with it.
    Also they cant legally charge you to watch CL games ala a special channel so i imagine it will be on Sky Sports Extra so you have to have Digital to get it.
    Also
    COME ON THE SUPERSAINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i heard Sky will have it on Sky Sports 1, 2 or 3 so cable viewers will be able to watch it too. Sky Sports Extra is only available to Sky Digital and UEFA would not be happy if it ended up there
    Originally posted by KdjaC
    with rumours of a 4 matches a NIGHT on Sky and the option to have 4 little boxes with 4 different Games on Sky Active so if Man Utd are playing Basle and Real are playing Milan i can actually watch the Real game

it's not a rumour. they will show every game except for the 2 ITV will be showing on Tuesdays

Advertisement